iSodium is one of 10 iNutrient apps based on the USDA National Nutrient Database. The others include:
- iCarbs (Carbohydrates)
- iCholesterol (Dietary Cholesterol)
- iFiber (Fiber)
- iKals (Calories)
- iPotassium (Potassium)
- iProteins (Proteins)
- iSatFat (Saturated Fat)
- iSodium (Sodium)
- iSugars (Sugars)
- Vitamin K (Vitamins K1, K1D & K2)
If you are working towards healthy eating, knowing the amount of sodium in the foods available for consumption can be extremely helpful.
The iSodium app provides information about foods and how they are rated for content of sodium. This is provided as a means to assist in deciding which foods to eat. The food servings are rated from EXTREMELY LOW in cholesterol all the way up to EXTREMELY HIGH. The following colors help readily identify which is which:
- Black = Rated EXTREMELY HIGH in Sodium (> 1,000 mg)
- Dark Red = Rated VERY HIGH in Sodium (501 - 1,000 mg)
- Red = Rated HIGH in Sodium (401 - 500 mg)
- Orange = Rated MODERATELY HIGH in Sodium (301 - 400 mg)
- Yellow = Rated MODERATE in Sodium (201 - 300 mg)
- Light Green = Rated MODERATELY LOW in Sodium (141 - 200 mg)
- Green = Rated LOW in Sodium (51 - 140 mg)
- Cyan = Rated VERY LOW in Sodium (11 - 50 mg)
- White = Rated EXTREMELY LOW in Sodium (0 - 10 mg)
Essentially, the cooler the color, the lower the amount of Cholesterol, with white being the coolest color and black being the hottest (think burnt).
There are eight tables listing food servings:
- All Foods
- Fast Foods
- Fruits & Vegetables
- Meat, Fish & Shellfish
- Dairy & Egg
- Cereal Grains & Pasta
The All Foods list allows you to search by any word or partial word from all the Food Titles.
Selecting a food in any of the tables will display pertinent information about the selected food serving:
- Food Title
- Weight (in grams)
- Common Measure (serving size for weight)
- Sodium Content (in milligrams)
- USDA Description
- USDA Food Group
- USDA Nutrient Database Number
Users can record their intake for any food. The information is maintained for one year and is presented in reverse chronological order grouped by day, so the latest data is presented first in the list. Editing allows for: 1) changing the number of servings; 2) changing the date; and 3) deleting records. Individual Intake Items can be copied to the current day, and all Intake Items for a single day can be copied to the current day.
Information is derived from the USDA National Nutrient Database for Standard Reference: Sodium Content of Selected Foods per Common Measure. There are currently over 1,100 different food servings included, searchable using more than 2,500 names (some foods are known by different names or how they are prepared, e.g., "Egg, Scrambled" and "Scrambled Egg"). A few these have as many as six searchable names.
The iSodium Info screen provides access to additional information pages:
- Facts About Sodium
- Managing Sodium Intake
- Highest Sodium Foods
- How to Use this App
- Access My Records
- iNutrients Custom Food Definitions (another app with more features and data for 10 nutrients)
- Other Important Info. (includes allowance to 1) Report a Problem; 2) Ask a Questions; and 3) Make a Suggestion)
A powerful new Search Facility has been added to the All Foods view. You can now search providing two search words/phrases. The first is required, but the second is optional. If a second word/phrase is provided, then you have the option of three possible ways to use the two words/phrases: 1) AND; 2) OR; and 3) BUT NOT. Search words/phrases are case insensitive. White space at the beginning and end of Search words/phrases will be removed. The "AND / OR / BUT NOT" operand selection is not taken into account unless there is a second Search word/phrase. As you are entering the Search criteria, the number of items found is displayed.
Ratings and Reviews
Sodium content at your fingertips
I love this app! Whenever I question the sodium content of anything I can pull it up and check. It stores hundreds of foods that are simple enough to look up!
Not only does this app make it easy for me to quickly determine how much sodium there is in food servings, but I can also easily keep track of my sodium intake. The supplemental information is great too. Who would have imagined there is sodium in drinking water? I love this app and highly recommend it to anyone who is interested in eating a healthy diet.
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- James Hollender
- 29.8 MB
- Health & Fitness
- Requires iOS 12.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 12.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 12.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
- Age Rating
- 12+ Infrequent/Mild Medical/Treatment Information
- © 2010 - 2019
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.