Brewing with total confidence. The details make the difference between an average batch of home brew and a truly excellent brew that is repeatable. This app is a beer recipe calculator, brew session tracker, and brew log - all on your iPhone. This application is capable of syncing with the Brewer's Friend cloud solution (the application works by itself stand alone, but the sync requires a premium account at the site).
This application is ad free.
Main feature list for version 1.0:
* Complete recipe designer with pre-populated list of grains, hops, and yeast. Ability to add your own custom grains.
* Fully supports metric units!
* Work in Specific Gravity or Plato.
* OG/FG/IBU/SRM, yeast attenuation automatically calculated.
* Supports All Grain, Extract, Partial Mash, BIAB.
* Tells if recipe matches style.
* Pick the equations and units you prefer.
* No Chill – Extended Hop Boil Time Supported.
* Target 'to the fermentor' or 'to the kettle' batch sizes.
* Journal for tracking events like gravity readings, volume collected, dates, and tasting notes.
* Tracks what phase the brew is in.
- Adds a brew timer feature.
- Recipe sync with the Brewer's Friend cloud is supported (requires premium account).
- Brew session sync with the Brewer's Friend cloud is supported (requires premium account).
- User interface updates, sorting of recipes and brew sessions, performance improvements.
- Adds support for: hop stands (whirlpool and hopback hop uses), recipe CO2 level field, milliliters as unit in other ingredients section. Improves recipe listing view (shows snapshot indicator, index added).
- Adds stand alone calculators.
- 70 + yeasts added. Brands include: East Coast Yeast, Mangrove Jack, Real Brewers, Siebel Institute, and Brewferm. Make sure to upgrade now if you plan to use these and sync with the cloud. (Sync requires premium account.)
- Adds stand alone calculators: Brix/Plato to SG Calculator and Dilution / Boiloff Calculator.
- Support for batch target 'kettle' mode added for Extract and Partial Mash recipes.
- Cloud sync improvements.
- BJCP 2015 Guidelines added and fixed syncing of styles with cloud
- Updates to ingredient database
- Visual fixes to scrolling and stability in various places
Thanks for using Brewer's Friend! To improve the app (and our beer) we routinely release small bug fixes and improvements.
In this version:
- Updates to ingredients for Yeast, Fermentables, and Hops
- Minor improvements to work with latest iOS versions
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Needs updating and a few more features!
I rely on this app every time I do a brew day. Incredibly handy to make modifications at my LHBS as I change my mind or based on the availability of ingredients. A couple things I wish would be updated: 1) I wish I could turn on auto-syncing. I can’t tell you the number of times I made an update only to overwrite it later by accident from the web UI. 2) ingredient search. 3) It’s built for smaller screens. 4) It’s lagging behind the web updates, which break recipes. For instance, adding the updated Lupulin Pellets in the web UI will give you an error when you try to save an update in the app. This last one made me move my ranking from a 4 to a 3 since it’s caused a lot of frustration.
I like this app but since I pay for this service, I have higher standards for what to expect with regular updates. The app owner needs to consider breaking web changes as well. If the app is deprecated, please tell us.
Good program mostly
I’ve been using this app for over a year now- just a couple of minor issues I’ve had- there’s no way to put in a new value or different fermentable. I’ve been making ciders and beer with apple juice as a source of sugar and I cannot predict the outcome like you can with the recipe building section. Also when adjusting your recipe if your efficiency is set low, as in the case of seeping grains (I’ve seen estimates as low as 25%) and sugar is imputed as a fermentable the same 25% is applied to your sugar. Overall this app is fantastic. It’s a great tool to tweak your recipes to make sure your abv isn’t going to be crazy (and I like my abv around 14%), to predict the color, to calculate your actual abv, to prime your beer. If you’re just starting out this is an app that will help you.
Great for recipes!
And that is what I use it for. When I purchased I had a degree of trust for the product based off of the BF website. I was slightly. disappointed it doesn't contain the full range of brew tools found on the website, especially water calculations. However as I wanted it for an on the go/convenient non-internet reliant recipe creator that I knew would be reliable and accurate, I'm pleased. It works great and is easy to navigate, fairly intuitive navigation. I've used seemingly all the free online recipators and this app is worth the $5 to have on the phone, good value!
- BREWER'S FRIEND LLC
- 5.3 MB
- Food & Drink
Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Frequent/Intense Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References
- © 2018 Brewer's Friend LLC
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.