Come and join Spellyfish the jellyfish on a fun underwater spelling and reading adventure! The adorable and friendly Spellyfish will help your child learn phonics and the primary letter sounds and letter names for the alphabet. Spellyfish will also teach your child how words can be broken up into separate sounds and how the letter sounds can be blended together to form short words.
Your child will also learn how to recognize both the lower case and upper case letters of the alphabet. In addition he/she will learn about the starting sounds of words and how the ending sounds of words can make some words rhyme with each other.
Spellyfish 'A' words is aligned with the US Common Core State Standards for building foundational skills in reading for Kindergarten.
It teaches the critical phonological and phonemic awareness skills children need for obtaining literacy in both reading and spelling.
Your child will learn how to spell consonant-vowel-consonant (CVC) words that contain the letter 'A' and the short /a/ sound. This includes words such as cat, sat, van, etc.
Recommended ages: 4-6
Watch the demo video at goo.gl/TZ9dxP
- Winner of the Gold Mom's Choice Award.
- The iPhone Mom (5/5) - "Every so often, an app comes along that I instantly love and know is going to be a winner with my kids. Spellyfish – Short A Words was one of those apps. This app has it all: Fantastic graphics, wonderful animation, educational content and FUN!"
- FunEducationalApps TOP PICK - "I look at Spellyfish- Short "A" Words, and I see an app that has been designed by someone who knows how to teach beginning readers. - Julie Peterson SLP
- Smart Apps For Kids (4.5/5) - "This app is an absolute necessity for any teacher or parent of a kindergarten or first grade student (or students spelling at the early level.) It very effectively teaches letter sounds, basic spelling, and even vocabulary.
- AutismPluggedIn - "This is surely going to become one of my go-to apps when it comes to recommending spelling programs, and you should definitely try it out!"
- The iMums (4.5/5)
- Kids App Reviews (4.5/5)
- All words are beautifully illustrated.
- Words are presented and used in context by the adorable and friendly Spellyfish!
- An introduction list guides students on how to use the app.
- Word lists organized by rhymes (rimes) and onsets.
- A powerful phonics hint feature breaks each word down into individual phonemes and then presents the allowable graphemes that correspond to each sound.
- The hint feature also contains contextually relevant spelling rules that help explain “how to spell” English words.
- A unique letter by letter feedback system provides feedback while the student is in the process of spelling each word.
- Supportive scaffolding guarantees success on every word.
- Supports up to 40 user accounts for classroom and family learning.
- Tracks your child's progress to allow you to see at a glance words that he/she has mastered and words that require further practice.
- Export & email student progress reports.
- Resumes from where children last left off.
- Presents both upper and lower case letters.
- Presents both letter sounds and letter names.
- Supports both alphabetic and QWERTY keyboard layouts.
KNOW WHAT'S INSIDE
As a MOMs with Apps member, we follow the
"Know what's inside" best practices for kids' apps
We care about your child's privacy.
- Does not contain 3rd party ads.
- Does not share any data.
- Does not track your child's location.
- Does not contain In-App purchases.
- Does not contain links to social media.
- Does not contain push notifications.
- Contains in app links to view a safe enclosed version of the developer's website for additional information, support and teaching tips.
- Contains child protected links that allow you to : "email the developer questions" and to rate the app.
Updated for iOS 13.1
Fixed screen layout issues on some newer iPhone models running iOS 13.1.
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Amazing Spelling App... YAY for Spellyfish!
I think Spellyfish - Short A Words is an amazing app. That is extremely user-friendly and has a nice ease of use for children. Children quickly took to the app playing and having fun. I absolutely love the use of the jellyfish as an animation that is friendly children. I also like that whenever a child gets an answer correct, there was a positive reinforcement such as the jellyfish glow and says "fantastic". I love that the app teaches children in a word family/rhyming order. Each time a child finishes a list it tells them how many words they got correct, then they go to the next list of words.
Overall, I think Spellyfish is absolutely amazing fun and engaging app. In my opinion it is an essential app to have if you are an educator, parent or professional especially since this app can be used by 40 users at a time! This app will definitely help your children to increase their Sight Words knowledge, teach phonological awareness and have children learning their CVC words at an amazing rate.
This app is amazing!!
This app will keep your child engaged, with the friendly character, Spellyfish! Your child will learn phonics, at the same time as learning how to spell CVC words that contain the short /a/ sound and the letter "A". The app is loaded with features: every word is paired with an illustration, words are presented in context, the app supports up to 40 user accounts, there is data tracking, and so much more! This app is appropriate for special needs children due to the visual and verbal prompts, larger keyboard, engaging visuals, engaging character, and many of the options in the app! My own son played with app independently for almost an hour! It is kid tested and mom approved! There are no links, ads, or in-app purchases. I highly recommend it!
Love this app for short a CVC words!
Not only are players asked to spell a word that is stated, that word is also used contextually to aid in identification. The word is sounded out as the player taps letters on the keyboard and there is opportunity to self-correct when a word is misspelled. The player doesn't have to wait for the context clue to spell the word which allows for self-pacing nor do they have to follow the order of lists; s/he can choose which list of words to work on. This is a great app for the price--hope they continue developing apps for other word families!
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.