Welcome to Notability: powerful, yet wonderfully simple note-taking and annotation. Apple's Mac App of The Year! Apple Editors' Choice on iPad, iPhone, and Mac!
Students, teachers, and business professionals use Notability daily to enrich their lives. It is uniquely designed for each device to provide the best note-taking experience at school, home, and work.
STREAMLINE YOUR WORKFLOW
• Become fully paper-free, in the classroom, office, and at home.
• Complete, sign, and share documents in Notability.
• Quickly create and edit notes by dragging and dropping documents, photos, or audio recordings from the desktop.
• Get more done with keyboard shortcuts.
• Secure and lock your notes using Touch ID.
SEARCH AND CONVERT HANDWRITTEN NOTES
• Search for handwritten words from the Library and in the note view in any of our 14 supported languages.
• Convert handwriting to text.
• It all happens on your device, so your information stays private.
SAVE TIME WITH MULTI-NOTE
• Multi-Note lets you open multiple notes at once in new windows.
• Easily access your recently opened notes in the Recent Notes subject.
• Notability includes full-featured, left-aligned typing with a wide range of fonts, sizes, and colors.
• Create outlines, interactive checklists, and text boxes.
• Fully express your artistic side with custom colors and match any color with the color dropper.
• Easily create perfect shapes and precisely erase all ink in varied brush sizes
• Handwriting has been fine-tuned to be smooth and expressive using a trackpad or mouse.
• Ink can be scaled, transformed, rotated, nudged (with arrow keys), and restyled.
IMPORT AND SHARE
• Import PDFs, DOCs, PPTs, images, GIFs, and more - conversion to PDF happens on your device, so your information stays private.
• Annotate imported pictures, lecture slides, and meeting agendas, or complete class assignments.
• Share notes via email, AirDrop, Dropbox, Google Drive, Box, OneDrive, and more.
RECORD AND PLAYBACK AUDIO
• Get more out of your lectures and meetings when you record them.
• Notes are automatically synced with audio recordings so during playback you can listen to what was happening as you wrote.
AUTO-BACKUP AND ICLOUD SYNC
• Use iCloud to automatically sync your notes to Notability on iPad, iPhone, and Mac, or to retrieve previous versions of your notes.
• Use Auto-backup to send your notes to a cloud service for archiving or recovery. Dropbox, Google Drive, Box, and OneDrive are all supported!
iOS app sold separately.
Notability is a registered trademark of Ginger Labs, Inc.
- Fixed an issue where notes containing highlighted text would not open properly.
- If a note doesn't open properly, you can right click and use iCloud Version History to recover a previous version.
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
nothing like on iPad
I have so many issues with the macOS software. There are times when I open my notes and everything is gone/blank. I have to continuously try to recover it from a prior icloud version. If I have my computer and ipad on togehter and the note goes missing from my mac, then it goes missing from my ipad also. The latest thing to happen is that several of my notes have just up and disappeared from my list and I don't even have the option to recover a prior version of it. I'm just going to go ahead and get a keyboard for my ipad so I will not continue to have these problems.
Refinements for new capabilities
I adore the new capabilities that handwriting recognition provides. However, new conditions require some new adjustments....
When I am using the handwriting to text, I often trigger the appearance of the online keyboard or the list of available fonts because my palm rests on the UI at the bottom of the screen.
When I am handwring, I would like to turn off the ability of the online keyboard's appearance. I have been discovering the joys of handwriting over typing and think that MyScript or Scribble will become a more important tool for digital notetakers...The handwriting to text is a great improvement over trying to type using the virtual keyboard and perhaps even better than a physical keyboard. Lots of books have been and continue to be written in longhand....
Thanks for a great product!
It takes notes but is annoying to use.
I gave it one star since the tool is quite annoying to use. First, I am a pen-user on iPad as well as on desktop/laptop machines (with some additional hardware). The app might be o.k. if one decides to do not take notes with a pen - but with one, it is a catastrophe.
My brief summary: the app was not made for pen-users in mind.
Thinks I like:
- well it takes notes.
Thinks I do not like:
- The two functions that I constantly need are a style panel and the page panel. The app makes me constantly switching between those, which is just annoying. Both panels should be visible all the time; one on the left and one on the right or so
- The app requires a page scroll bar on the right. I-d like to scroll up and down with a pen. Currently, I have to take the pen off the display and use the trackpad, etc. That's just annoying. Please add an ALWAYS visible scroll bar on the right side.
- Changing line thickness and pen color is also clumsy. Instead of offering the essential colors and line thickness directly on the pane, one has to go to a submenu. All of those should be directly on the style pane so that they are available with one click.
- To add some details, color sorting is also off. Black hides in the third row and other primary colors are also scattered.
I could continue for hours, but I guess the guys who coded the app need some serious hci support.
Data Linked to You
The following data may be collected and linked to your identity:
- Contact Info
- User Content
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Ginger Labs, Inc.
- 98.6 MB
macOS 10.13 or later, 64-bit processor
English, Danish, Dutch, French, German, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Norwegian Bokmål, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
- Age Rating
- © 2020 Ginger Labs, Inc.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.