A retro computing / pixel art camera app.
Retrospecs lets you convert images and video clips so they appear as they would on a wide variety of home computers and consoles from the 70's, 80's and 90's.
Simply take a picture (or select one from your photo library) and you can display it as it would appear on over forty systems including the Commodore 64, IBM PC (DOS, CGA, EGA and VGA), Sinclair ZX Spectrum, Commodore Amiga, Atari ST, Sega Mega Drive, Nintendo Game Boy and even the original 1984 model Apple Macintosh. If that's not enough you can also create your own custom modes based around four different graphics engines and a wide variety of color palettes and character fonts. (The free version only contains a limited number of systems/dither modes and the custom editors, video clip processing and animation options aren't available.)
All trademarks are acknowledged as the property of their respective owners.
An assemblage of parts.
• You can now import and export custom emulations, palettes and character sets.
• You can drag-drop images in and out of the character, palette and emulation editors on the iPad.
• Added ability to change the character size within the character editor.
• Added undo/redo to the character set and palette editors.
• You can directly access the last custom emulation, palette and character set you edited via the context menu on the main screen.
• You can now toggle between foreground and background or foreground only modes for custom character emulations.
• Added new "Auto export when saving" settings.
• Added "Compukit UK101" system character set and "Diet PETSCII", "Retrotech Romance" and "Rook" custom character sets.
• Fixed issue with diffusion dithers being applied incorrectly at the edge of images.
• Fixed issue with Stucki, Sierra and Sierra Two-Row dithering.
• Fixed issue with animated image playback on iOS 13.
• Fixed save/preview update bug in palette and character editors.
• Videos now correctly honour the "Image proportions" setting.
If you want to see future updates to Retrospecs, please share your creations and help spread the word!
For the latest news and updates follow @8bitartwork on Twitter and you can send any issues or suggestions you have to email@example.com
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Better than the competition
If you’re trying to take videos and photos, throw a pixelated filter on it and -boom- it’s done, this app can do it. If you would like to take the emulated aesthetic of an Apple IIe or NES or even a Virtual Boy, tweak it by making it high resolution to fit your source image, follow that up by setting a scanline and chroma shift effect while adjusting brightness saturation contrast and even cropping until it’s perfect THIS APP can do that all of that. And that’s barely scratching the surface. You have so much customization and control you can truly make wonderful art here. Don’t pass it up for the other guys pixel filter stuff. The IAPs are more than fair they’re almost a steal.
This app is good.
So a while back I was looking for a way to pixelize my photos in a rather cool way. I was slowly picking through photo editors and either they didn't do what I needed them or it was a bad app. Eventually I made my way to this app, I tried it out and it was really good. Even without paying for the full version (I have now), it a surprising amount of options to mess with attributes. And the full version is really good and I hope you keep this app going and adding systems.
Some good but not free
First the free version is unusable. It keeps words on the screen that tell you to upgrade. It happens when you click on something that is only available with the upgrade, but the words don’t disappear even when you try to go back to using the free filters, rending it unusable.
It looked good enough so I paid. There are really neat filters here with loads of options and customization. Authentic replications of tech nostalgia. However, your field is limited to a square, so if your pic is not a square you won’t be able to alter the entire photo.
Also if you save a photo you can’t re-open and edit it again. It will re-open in the app but you can’t re-apply filers or adjust the picture.
In-App PurchasesSee All
- John Parker
- 32.3 MB
- Photo & Video
Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
English, French, Japanese, Spanish
- Age Rating
- © 2014 John Parker / Standard Universal
- In-App Purchases
- Unlock everything $3.99
- Small tip $0.99
- Medium tip $1.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.