Hydra offers innovative photo capture technology, and lets you take beautiful pictures even in the most difficult lighting conditions, which makes it a great companion to iOS Camera app.
“The Hydra app from Belgian company Creaceed is one of the more interesting iOS camera apps we have seen in the recent past.”
“Hydra is for people who enjoy iPhone photography at a higher and more rewarding level.”
— David Robinson (iPhonographer)
"Hydra has the particularity of offering original features, which are missing from many competing apps."
Hydra captures more light by merging up to 60 frames to make a single high-quality picture (less noise, more highlights/shadows) on iPhone and iPad. Hydra also goes beyond the 8- or 12-megapixel sensor limit, with up to 32-megapixel high-resolution images. It uses the latest evolutions of iPhone and iPad camera hardware, as well as the latest camera APIs and GPU rendering technologies.
Hydra provides 5 specific capture modes: HDR, Video-HDR, Lo-Light, Zoom, and Hi-res modes.
• Hydra's High Dynamic Range (HDR) mode is based on an alternate method that captures up to 20 images and that is made to handle even the most difficult lighting conditions.
• Video-HDR uses single-image tone mapping and device-specific sensor mode to create stunning videos.
• Lo-Light mode removes sensor noise by merging together multiple images and amplifying light by a factor of 10 to provide a better image quality.
• Zoom mode uses real-time, super-resolution technique to recreate missing pixels from hand motion, producing 2x, 4x and 8x (telephoto lens) scale factors with more details than the standard digital zooming technique(*).
• Hi-res mode produces up to 32MP images from the regular 8 or 12MP camera sensor, providing finer details in captured image(*).
• Hydra supports the telephoto & front cameras respectively in Zoom and Lo-Light/HDR modes to shoot portraits & selfies.
• Camera support: ultra wide, wide, telephoto, and front facing.
Hydra also features a photo gallery for reviewing images and their metadata, directly linked with built-in iOS photo album, thus avoiding duplicates and allowing to flag as favorites.
(*) recommended for static scenes or distant scenery. Rendering artifacts can occur for scenes with parallax and for moving subjects.
Hydra 1.7 brings the following iOS 13 features:
- support for ultra-wide (iPhone 11 / 11 Pro), wide and telephoto cameras in most shooting modes (see below).
- Dark Mode throughout the app.
- improved interaction with the embedded photo gallery with Contextual Menu which replaces Peek and Pop, and that is available on all iPhone and iPad models.
- tuned visuals in the embedded photo gallery (SF Symbols).
Hydra 1.7 adds support for ultra-wide angle camera of iPhone 11 / iPhone 11 Pro for the following capture modes: Hi-Res, HDR, Lo-Light. For all iPhone with multiple back cameras, the cameras are now all exposed in the following modes Hi-Res, HDR, Lo-Light; in Zoom mode, the telephoto camera is automatically used if available.
Hydra is the perfect companion to mobile photography in general because of the limited sensors (they're small), and even more so for ultra-wide and telephoto cameras. Ultra-wide lenses are typically best suited to shoot scenery or architecture, and both HDR and Hi-Res bring additional capabilities that are useful in these situations. Moreover, telephoto and ultra-wide cameras have less sensitive sensors due to physics constraints that Hydra will gladly help overcome, typically with Lo-Light mode, thanks to its image fusion core.
Ratings and Reviews
Okay so I never write reviews unless it’s for some bogus unlock in an app, but I’m writing this one because this is seriously the best camera app I’ve ever had, period. It has an extremely simple layout, and every shooting Option can produce gorgeous photos, none of them feel like just a thrown together “filler” mode, and if you follow the tips it’ll get even better from there.
P.S. anyone who hasn’t already should see what happens when you take multiple photos of the same area/subject. The app doesn’t just mesh the frames it captures during one shoot. ;) (insanely powerful and smart application guys, no complaints.)
Developer Response ,
Thank you for the kind words! They are really appreciated! /TC
Best super sampling app
This is the best app for super-sampling that I’ve used. This very easily gives you basically an *optical* zoom lens, using time to overcome the hardware limitations of your iPhone camera, instead of the traditional two pieces of glass far apart from each other found in stand alone cameras. Rather than needing a tripod or having to place your phone on a still surface, Hydra uses the small movements of your hands holding the camera to successfully supersample a high resolution image. Successfully removes the ugly iPhone rice-looking grain too. Very cool.
Developer Response ,
Thank you for the kind words! They're really appreciated. /TC
Amazing combo with iPhone X!
Pros: This app is a great compliment to the iPhone X camera! i have been using it for a few days now and I’m blown away with the quality of the HDR! This is the first time i have seen an app take more than 3 pictures to make up a good HDR image.
Cons: The only thing that would be cool to see this app do is have one more “light” HDR option. The normal is sometimes too strong. And the strong is so strong it’s pretty much unusable.
Overall this app was worth writing about! Worth the money on your new iPhone 8/8plus and X!
- Creaceed SPRL
- 19.2 MB
- Photo & Video
Requires iOS 10.0 and watchOS 2.2 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
English, Arabic, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian Bokmål, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese, Turkish
- Age Rating
- © 2019 Creaceed SPRL
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.