App Store Best of 2016
Gold Winner of the German Design Award 2017
Wikipedia, better than ever—on iPhone, iPad, and Apple Watch. Discover the world and enjoy beautiful typography with this sleek app.
“If you love learning new things on Wikipedia but want a gorgeous interface to interact with the valuable information, then you should check out [this app].”
— Christine Chan, AppAdvice
“Best typography on the small screen yet […] Get this app, a brilliant Wikipedia reader.”
— Erik Spiekermann, Typographer
“[This app] is an exceptionally crafted app for experiencing Wikipedia on your iOS devices. […] the wonderful visualization sweeps you off your feet.”
— Preshit Deorukhkar, Beautiful Pixels
# Here’s why you’ll like this app:
NEARBY PLACES: Discover interesting Wikipedia articles about the area around your location. Or explore any other spot in the world. It’s fun with our signature map visualization.
MOST READ ARTICLES: See what other people read and find out what’s going on in the world. The “Most Read” section makes discovering hot topics a breeze.
SEARCH RESULTS: Powered by both Wikipedia’s full-text and prefix search, you’ll find what you’re looking for. Matches are displayed as rich article previews, tweaked for both legibility and high information density.
READING INTERFACE: We’re passionate about great typography! So it’s only natural that the layout is designed to make reading Wikipedia articles pleasant and efficient.
BOOKMARKS & HISTORY: Add bookmarks to the list of your favorite articles. Your searches and articles are kept in the History tab—automatically.
IMAGE GALLERY: Browsing Wikipedia’s images just got more fun: The brand-new gallery lets you see all of an article’s images at a glance.
# More Features
SMART LAYOUT: A combination of advanced layout optimizations analyze and reformat every article for ideal readability and great looks.
NATIVE iOS EXPERIENCE: For some Wikipedia Apps, iOS is just another platform but for us, it’s the beloved one and only platform! You’ll feel right at home.
BEAUTIFUL TYPE: Carefully crafted typography and high-quality typefaces create a world-class Wikipedia reading experience.
MULTILINGUAL: Switch effortlessly between languages—if you read more than one. Or check out an article’s title in all available languages. We promise, it’s fun!
DARK MODE: Switch to the dark theme for relaxed reading at night.
# Even More Features
– Efficient images load high-resolution versions right before you view them, saving time and bandwidth
– Large tables are shrunk proportionally to fit on screen
– Table of contents panel for quick navigation
– Wikipedia editing in Safari — just tap the share icon
– Search for text within the article you’re reading
– Show and hide footnotes for references without scrolling
– Slide Over and Split View support on iPad
– Open articles from Safari’s share menu
– Search from any other app via the text-selection context menu
– Dynamic Type respects your device’s font size settings
– VLC integration to play Wikipedia’s esoteric media file formats
– Natural image zoom with swipe-to-dismiss
– Syntax highlighting for source code examples in articles
– Sophisticated sharing that you’ll actually want to use
– Support for portrait and landscape orientations
– Supports VoiceOver
# Wikipedia On Your Apple Watch
NEARBY PLACES: Quickly find articles about points of interest around you
VOICE SEARCH: Easily find anything on Wikipedia using your voice
HANDOFF: Tap the banner in the App Switcher to continue reading on your iPhone
BOOKMARKING: To read later, just force-touch and transmit a bookmark to your iPhone
UNCOMPLICATION: Launch the app right from your favorite clock face
Whether you’re exploring the city with an Apple Watch or being productive on an iPad Pro—it looks and feels great. At any size.
You knew you loved Wikipedia.
You didn’t know it could feel this good on iOS.
– Improved the article toolbar’s scrolling behavior
– More bugfixes and improvements
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Excellent design, ease of use, helpful features and regular updates!
First, there’s the design that welcomes you into a much reader friendly version of Wikipedia. Secondly, its ease of use and the accessibility of its safari extension makes sure it’s quick to call it to task the moment my browsing leads me to a wikipedia page. And last but not least, its bookmarking, history, and ease of switching languages on the same entry have all made my Wikipedia reading more productive and pleasant. I’ve been compelled to write this review not by any kind of annoying app request (which as far as I remember this app hasn’t made), but simply out of genuine satisfaction and delight. I’ve purchased it a while back when it was featured by Apple’s App Store, since it was cheap and I’m an avid Wikipedia user/reader. Since then, it’s consistently been one of my most used apps, and one of those little apps that could, from an attentive developer who never fails to update and support the app. And that at no other charge, which at this day and age is a breath of fresh air. That’s another reason I’m writing this, as I hope this app continues to be downloaded and enjoyed by many more users, to their own delight and to the developers’ reward.
My app to save all the things Wikipedia
The features and simple, well-designed, and exactly what you’d want for Wikipedia. I rarely use the location feature, but it is neat and I think could be useful for travel and spontaneous discovery.
The 2 things I’ve wanted after using this apps for years (found through DF sponsorship).
1. Mac version of app, so I no longer need to airdrop to iOS device to save an interesting looking article
2. Category feature. I have a lot of bookmarks at this point, but being able to categorize them, esp via tags, would really help me for recall/finding certain entries.
Best Wikipedia app ever made
I once thought I would never find a suitable replacement for the once-great Wikipedia reader Articles, with the same polish and attention to detail, but then I found V for Wiki. It not only matched but exceeded my expectations. Reading Wikipedia with V for Wiki feels like reading a finely typeset book. It’s not just that it looks nice. It makes the whole experience easier and more enjoyable and doesn’t get in the way of the content. This app deserves ten stars. I don’t write app reviews often, but this app inspired me to do so.
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Raureif GmbH
- 25.4 MB
- Requires iOS 13.1 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 13.1 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 13.1 or later.
English, French, German, Italian, Portuguese, Spanish
- Age Rating
- 17+ Unrestricted Web Access Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References Infrequent/Mild Mature/Suggestive Themes Infrequent/Mild Sexual Content and Nudity
- © 2016–2021 Raureif GmbH
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.