Your free flight planning EFB
Airmate is a free and easy to use flight planning and weather app for pilots, including many social sharing features.
Thanks to Airmate flight planning form, you will get instant access to airport data and aviation maps, up to date weather and NOTAMs.
IFR and VFR airport plates are freely available in US (FAA charts), Europe, and more than 200 other countries. Many of them are georeferenced and could be overlaid on the aviation chart. A powerful Plate Manager allows to download in advance all airport plates in a country, they could be easily printed and viewed.
During the flight, the moving map will display the aircraft location along the route, show airports and aeronautical data details, warn you if your planned route is crossing restricted areas. A profile view is available to display terrain elevation, crossed area and forecasted weather across the route. Airmate includes a worldwide aeronautical database updated free of charge with airports, navigation beacons, waypoints, airways, obstacles, regulated and restricted areas. Topographic maps of numerous countries may be downloaded free of charge, as well as additional aviation map overlays such US Sectionals or IFR enroute charts.
When coupled with an external ADS-B traffic detector, Airmate displays nearby traffic on the moving map and receive FIS-B weather. Airmate can also display dynamic backup attitude and flight parameters in an EFIS-like view using the device internal sensors or a supported external AHRS-capable ADS-B receiver.
Thanks to the Auto Route feature, you could search and select the best route for your flight, and then file your VFR or IFR flight plan (in the USA using your http://1800wxbrief.com account). Once filed, your flight plan could easily be managed, delayed or cancelled.
Airmate will also record your flights and allow to replay them later or export the flight path in gpx format, you could take pictures from the app during flights. Pilot log entries are automatically computed from flown flights.
A Satellite map display mode in flight planning or replay mode allows to familiarize with significant landmarks.
Airmate will save planned and flown flights, user waypoints and user aircrafts in the cloud and sync them between your devices and Airmate web flight planning.
Airmate brings numerous social features to the community. Pilots may leave ratings, tips and comments to share their experience with fellow pilots, and report fuel prices and handling fees. They could find friends, instructors, flight schools, aviation events and aircraft to rent near their home airport or any visited airport. A planned flight may be shared with other pilots by indicating the number of seats available for additional passengers.
Airmate may be connected to most flight simulators to keep flying skills sharp.
Continued use of GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life.
- Added a meteogram view showing the weather on the route profile view, with clouds, isotherm 0, tropopause levels. Other relevant weather data will be added in a next release;
- Default launch screen can now be selected between planned flights (default), aircraft fleet list (for dispatchers) or airport traffic (for airport operators and handlers);
- Handlers and airport managers in Europe may subscribe to Airmate Airport option to track planned and executed IFR flights at their airports, for previous day, today and the next day;
- Dispatchers, aircraft operators, airlines and pilots may subscribe to Airmate Dispatcher option to track aircrafts they operate having filed IFR flight plans and view their status: flight plan filed, slot allocated, in flight (with ETA) or flight terminated;
- Outside US, it is now possible to subscribe to a yearly unlimited flight plan filing submission (flight plan filing is free in the USA so this option is not needed). This subscription will also allow to track operated aircrafts having filed IFR flight plans;
- Improved newsletter presentation in Community menu;
- Added account deletion feature from the app settings;
- A donate option is available to support the development of Airmate app;
- Fix various minor issues;
- Embeds worldwide aeronautical database at AIRAC cycle 2106.
Ratings and Reviews
Great Backup for Student Pilot
I’m a Student Pilot with low hours and have played with AirMate on a couple of flights. Recently, I flew a solo 135 mile cross country with it and the Dual 160 GPS for the Bluetooth. I tried to use it only as a backup, but it was hard to do. Pilotage and Dead Reckoning seems to want to take the backseat, when you are able to see exactly where you are and if on or off course. Still learning how to use it the easiest and best way, but I like it and for sure, the free price is very attractive.
Developer Response ,
Many thanks for your positive review! We are happy you enjoy the app, and are working to bring new features and a new improved map, while keeping the app simple to use and of course free. Safe flights!
Works Really Well
For an open source navigator it works really well. Doesn’t have some of the bells and whistles as other navigators but then it’s not a subscription based app either. Good job Air Mate!!
Developer Response ,
Many thanks for your 5-star review. We are happy you enjoy the app, if you see improvements you would want to see added to the app, don't hesitate to write us at email@example.com. We improve continuously the app taking into account pilots' suggestions. Safe flying!
Finally a free app that works!
Great, simple VFR chart app. I’m amazed at how well this works - even how they integrated street and VFR maps at different zoom levels. My only gripe is the charts don’t seem to update in the background. Not a big deal since they’re only updated every few months. I would have been happy to pay a few bucks for this.
Update: I had to deck a couple of stars. Many of the plates are inaccurate or out of date. I actually got screwed up at an airport yesterday when the ATC controller gave me a runway I wasn’t expecting (27 vs 23).
Developer Response ,
Many thanks for your kind appreciation. Could you inform us at firstname.lastname@example.org of which airport / plate was outdated? The FAA plates are always up to date on our server and the plates choice allows you to update them. Are you sure you have clicked on the button to update the plate to latest version? If you do not update the plates at every cycle, the app may show you the last version you updated.
Data Linked to You
The following data may be collected and linked to your identity:
- Contact Info
- Search History
- Usage Data
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Myriel Aviation SA
- 197.6 MB
- Requires iOS 12.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 12.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 12.0 or later.
English, French, German, Spanish
- Age Rating
- This app may use your location even when it isn’t open, which can decrease battery life.
- © 2016 Myriel Aviation SA
- In-App Purchases
- Airmate Pro version $22.99
- Support Airmate development! $4.99
- Flight plan filing token $1.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.