The interactive Grammar of English (iGE) is a comprehensive introductory course in English grammar which takes you from the most basic elements to the most complex constructions.
iGE is a guide to the structure of the English Language that is specifically designed for mobile devices to meet the needs of busy teachers and students.
REAL ENGLISH, REAL GRAMMAR
iGE uses lots of examples of real language taken from the ICE-GB Corpus, compiled and analysed at UCL and used by linguistics researchers across the world.
We use spoken and written English examples to demonstrate that grammar is applicable to all language use, not just so-called 'Good English'.
LEARN FROM EXPERTS
iGE is written by a team of linguists at University College London (UCL), independently ranked as one of the world's best Universities. The grammar you'll be learning is based on recent research and best practice in the field.
The iGE course covers the same ground as a first year undergraduate course in Modern English Grammar. But that does not mean it is difficult to follow! We have written iGE to make grammar accessible, with clear explanations, colourful notation and lots of examples.
WHO IS iGE FOR?
iGE is for everyone with an interest in the grammar of English.
The course is is suitable for
• anyone wishing to learn English or improve their English
• students studying English language at secondary or high school
• those studying English as a second or foreign language
• teachers of the English language
• undergraduate students of linguistics
• students of English literature
• journalists, civil servants and anyone interested in clear, plain English
WHAT ARE WE GIVING AWAY?
This is the free 'Lite' version of iGE. A full version is also available.
iGE Lite contains
• A complete grammatical glossary: a searchable A-Z of grammatical terms (see the picture below).
• Three chapters from the interactive Grammar of English, on word classes, nouns and determiners. To complete the course you will need to buy iGE, which is available for a modest sum from the App Store.
• Six interactive exercises and quizzes, to let you test yourself and make learning fun. The complete course has 36 dynamic exercises.
Our exercises use real English examples. Exercises can be timed, and for a real challenge, played against a ticking clock.
A change to the exercise engine to make the interface even more responsive.
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
IGE English grammar
I'm a substitute teacher and was looking for an app that I could quickly refresh my memory. This is an okay app but there are some errors. I was always taught to not use uhm and ah in a sentence, however, in the test areas the sentences often use uhm as if it had been created by someone dictating. There are also run on sentences and incorrect punctuation in the tests.
The glossary seems to be correct and will be a good reference when I need it.
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.