iGlide - the Soaring Navigation Software by AIR Avionics
iGlide is a soaring navigation App with advanced functionality that is amazingly easy to use. iGlide supports glider pilots during a competition, a cross-country flight, or just during short recreational flights.
iGlide comes in three editions at three price-points. Starting with "iGlide lite" and "iGlide advanced" up to "iGlide pro". All apps can be upgraded later-on by paying the price difference in an in-app-purchase.
Features of iGlide lite:
- Simple and easy to use Direct-To function to a single waypoint.
- Easy to read, high-resolution terrain map with detailed topographical features.
- Free daily updates for aviation data such as airspaces, airfields, and navaids.
- Final glide calculator with Ballast, Bugs, MacCready, and aircraft polar data.
- Profile view showing terrain and airspace en route.
- Vertical airspace overview and airspace warnings
- Free airport and airspace-database with free updates
- Additional data can be purchased as in-app-purchase
- Flight-statistics with logbook
- Traffic is displayed on the map if an appropriate data source is connected (FLARM, AIR TRAFFIC or similar).
- Visual and voice traffic warnings, if an appropriate data source is connected.
- Many display options individually configurable.
- Flight-logging (IGC and KML format).
- Live tracking on different servers (e.g. livetrack24.com).
- Track-Line showing the preceding flightpath on the map.
- Data import for all common data formats (CUP/DAT/OpenAir/PLR etc.)
- Live METAR weather data for selected airports.
Additional features in iGlide advanced:
- Route planning over any number of waypoints.
- Directly upload flight logs to OLC (www.onlinecontest.org) or send via eMail.
- Rubberband function for quick and easy route manipulation.
- Accurate wind calculation.
Additional features in iGlide pro:
- Calculation and optimization of the current OLC scoring distance.
- Extensive route planning with turn areas, assigned areas and implementation of FAI Rules (e.g. finish circle).
- FAI triangle optimization.
- Comprehensive in-flight statistics functions.
- Final glide calculation over terrain.
- Live and super-easy AAT optimization.
- Thermal Climb Optimizer.
IMPORTANT SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS: iOS 12 or newer. Devices running older versions are not supported.
- Fixes issue in Map Download screen on iPad version.
- New option to directly Export/Share an IGC file from your Logbook.
- New option to cancel download after tapping a Map tile on Map Download screen.
- Fixes issue with vertical position indicator in Airspace Overview.
- Fixes issue in NavBox Layout settings screen.
- Other technical improvements for newer rounded screen edge devices.
Ratings and Reviews
Great glide computer
Update July 2020:
Well they’ve updated it! It’s not dead.
On the bright side, the map data downloads again, and it’s been moved so it doesn’t let iOS automatically purge map data to free up space any more. That’s good!
Unfortunately: it no longer records my flights! It used to automatically add flights to the “logbook” but this no longer works, all flight GPS data is lost when you close the app and cannot be exported. I’ve lost three days worth of flight data this weekend.
Previous problem still exists: No “cancel” when tapping a map data time. Only “delete” or “reload”. This is a huge problem for the USA map because the buttons are tiny. See below.
Sadly, with the loss of the GPS data recording function, I now cannot use this app at all now, and will have to find a replacement. I will keep an eye out for updates though.
Previous review, ca. 2019:
This was a great glide computer. Sadly the map data doesn’t seem to be downloadable any more.
My most major complaint was that the app stores its map and airport/airspace data in a location that iOS automatically purges, so pretty much every time you use this app you have to redownload the map data, which is pretty tedious (the download screen had extremely small buttons and if you “missed” your only option was “delete” or “download again”—frustrating!).
Sadly I can not recommend this app since it appears to be abandoned (no update in over two years) and no longer downloads map data at all.
The app could be improved by showing the track flown, i.e. both out and return in addition to the track displayed to a destination. This is would be particularly useful while flying in blue wave.
Easy to use!
This app is very nice, it’s great for airspace awareness and has a voice alert. I have upgraded to the advance version so I could get winds aloft. I’ve also added the WiFi connect device to use my C302 data directly in the app. I see comments on how difficult it is to use, but honestly I don’t see anything that’s tricky about this software. I created a polar version for my glider, and only download the maps you need. I use it on a 5c iPhone because it fits next to my panel.
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Garrecht Avionik GmbH
- 31.8 MB
- Requires iOS 12.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 12.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 12.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
English, German, Italian, Polish
- Age Rating
- © 2008-2020 AIR Avionics
- In-App Purchases
- iGlide Advanced Features $79.99
- iGlide Pro Features $119.99
- ICAO map 2016, DE $99.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.