If Chinese literacy is your goal, iHanzim (Hanzi Master, iPad Edition) is the app to help get you there. iHanzim is an offline interactive visual dictionary and flashcard viewer for learning the relationships between Chinese characters, radicals, and compounds. It will help you learn Chinese and memorize hanzi faster. Seeing the relationships empowers your memory with the "system" behind the characters.
You can use English, French, German, or Russian word definitions, or English for Cantonese dialect. iHanzim also includes character mnemonics, historical development, study lists, and many ways to search. No internet connection is required to run after the app is installed and run for the first time, and no subscriptions are needed.
An in-app upgrade is required to access some of the functionality.
* Updated for recent iOS versions
* All character lists (HSK vocab, etc.) now bundled with app
* Bug fixes
Ratings and Reviews
I purchased the App towards the end of last year, was working fine, till last week the App ask me to upgrade or restore.
1) Tried restore the App as directed, but failed.
2) I tried deleting the App and downloaded it from the Apple AppStore, still it asks me to do the same and restore failed.
3) Made sure I have latest IOS installed and deleted the App, shut down the iPad and after starting my iPad, installed the App, still ask me to purchase or restore. Selected restore and signed in to Apple store, message says “Upgrade check failed“.
I have sent a request through developer website: using my Apple email id a couple of days now, but yet to get a response:
Hanzim Support / Feedback
How can this problem be fixed?
Dated April 20, 2018
Thank you for fixing the glitches, the update now allows the app to restore the upgrade.
Developer Response ,
Our apologies, our support site was on the blink for a while and we missed a couple of messages. Fixed now. Also 3.2.2 had a problem with verifying in-app purchase. This should be resolved in 3.2.3. If not please contact us (direct email is email@example.com). Thanks.
For a little app on my iPad, this is impressive. The sheer volume of information on Chinese and the clever ways of slicing and dicing it are very helpful. I was trying to learn some Chinese radicals and could not find a straight forward way to learn them. This product lets me research them as a group as well as see/understand them in each character.
This app is a "Must have" for students of Chinese
We have downloaded literally a hundred apps to help learn Chinese, and this is a true standout. Not only for its smooth navigation but for innovative layout and nifty lookup functions. It lets you surf through the Chinese dictionary discovering all kinds of associations between characters. Outstanding!
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Natural Designs Software, Inc.
- 67 MB
- Requires iPadOS 9.1 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2022 Natural Designs Software, Inc.
- In-App Purchases
- iHanzim Pro Upgrade $3.99