Your iPhone or iPad becomes a high-performance GPS receiver with USGS, US Forest Service & Canadian topo maps, even where there is no cell signal!
Headed into the wilderness? Always know where you've been, where you are, and where you’re going. Highest quality track recording, best route navigation and most accurate Estimated Time of Arrival of any available hiking app. No sign-up, ads, subscription or in-app purchase required, making this less expensive & less hassle than the “free” or subscription apps.
Use for hiking, backpacking, biking, canoeing, kayaking, geocaching, camping, sightseeing, 4WD exploring & skiing. Recommended as the top choice in “Essential Gear for Safe Hiking”.
TRACKS, WAYPOINTS & ROUTES
Record a track as you walk, even in the background. View it on the map. Trip Timer & Odometer.
Show an elevation graph of your track or a route with altitude data. View date, time & average speed of track points. Measure the area inside a closed path.
Mark waypoints by their position on a topo map or a satellite map, by tapping a geotagged photo, by projecting from a known point or by searching place names. Refine a waypoint position when you arrive.
Set a quick GoTo waypoint or a full route & see the heading, direction, distance, elevation change & Estimated Time of Arrival at your destination & intermediate waypoints along the trail.
Create routes using waypoints, recorded tracks, or imported GPX or KML files. Advanced route editing.
Export GPX & KML waypoint, route & track files via eMail, Messages, Copy To, AirDrop, iCloud Drive, Dropbox or iTunes.
Send KML files to display immediately in Google Earth. Receive KML files from Google Earth.
NO EXTRA CHARGE FOR TOPO MAPS
USA: Newest (2015 or later) US Forest Service 24K maps
USGS 24K maps for all 50 states, Guam, Puerto Rico & the US Virgin Islands
USGS 250K & 100K (63K for Alaska) maps for all states
Canada south of 54° latitude: National Resources Canada 50K maps for Alberta, British Columbia, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia & Prince Edward Island, and 18 Canadian National Parks
Download using WiFi or cell service.
Stitches beautiful richly detailed offline topographic map images for seamless coverage across map boundaries.
Store up to 1024 maps to use in the wilderness without cell service. Maps from our server download faster & use less of your monthly data allotment.
Includes map legends.
Print & Share map images overlaid with waypoints, routes & tracks.
Measure distance and direction between any 2 points.
USE THE UNITS YOU PREFER
miles, nautical miles or km. ft or meters
Degrees, Degrees/Minutes, Degrees/Minutes/Seconds or UTM
°True or °Magnetic
Tap Help in the App
Online Manual on iHikeGPS.com
Email developer: lwjames@iHikeGPS.com
WHAT OTHERS SAY
“I am VERY impressed!!!…It pretty much blows…, my previous fave GPS app, out of the water. Your track recording features, fast map downloads, and well thought out interface make it a real winner. It's very sophisticated software, and makes my iPhone just about as good as $600 Garmin… Actually better, in a lot of ways”-John in OR
“Perfect for anyone camping, fishing & hiking, it'll provide great detail when you need it the most…for anyone who takes the great outdoors seriously”-David on HandheldItems.com
“…thank you for developing IHIKE GPS…what a great product it is. I am impressed!…I use it hiking, biking, skiing & Jeeping”-Ammon in CO
No device requires a cellular data plan to use iHikeGPS.
WiFi+cellular iPad 2 & later, and iPhone 4S & later support full navigation.
WiFi-only iPad 2 & later, and iPod touch (5th gen) & later require an iOS-compatible external GPS receiver to show your location in the wilderness & record tracks. View maps using the iOS device alone.
Continued use of GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life.
Your dream of hiking adventures reaches new heights with iHikeGPS!
I use this app daily on hiking trails in Colorado. I'm continually improving it so it will be even more useful! This version adds the ability to create a new route by reversing an existing route.
What's new in iHikeGPS when compared with other available USA and Canada topo map apps?
• You don't just see waypoints and routes displayed on the map, you can actually do real navigation to those waypoints and along those routes. You get information such as Estimated Time of Arrival, current bearing, and remaining distance and elevation gain to your intermediate and final destinations.
• Many apps don't offer US Forest Service topo maps at all. Others say they include US Forest Service maps, but actually just give you the old 2013 USFS maps. iHikeGPS gives you (with no additional charge) the very latest US Forest Service maps which show many new and more accurately placed trails, numbered Forest Service roads, buildings, and other important details. They show forested areas and inholdings so you know if you are on Forest Service land or private land. None of these maps are older than 2015, and many are even more recent. If you ever travel into wilderness and National Forest service areas, then you will benefit hugely from having these up-to-date USFS maps available.
• You can create, import, edit, and navigate both on routes based on a recorded or imported path, and on routes based on a series of waypoints.
• iHikeGPS' s code size is kept very small by efficient programming, so in an emergency you can download it easily even over a weak cell connection.
• There is never any confusion over what maps you have available offline. They are clearly listed by USGS quad name, and also clearly shown on an overview map.
Ratings and Reviews
Does everything better than anybody
I have used numerous mobile gps apps, and none comes even close to iHikeGPS. Being able to download topo and forest maps, for free, by WiFi before a trip is great. But if you are stuck on the trail outside your downloaded area, you can still get maps with even a minimal cell signal. The app handles waypoints, tracks and routes with ease, imports and exports gpx and kml format smoothly, and has the best built in help file I have ever seen. And everything can be edited right on the app. It’s all you need for gps.
Best topo ever.
I’ve owned this app since 2012. Phenomenal. Solved many an off-road quandary. Recommended to over a 100, that download on the spot. It’s Helped find stuck and lost people, planned epic adventures. Every time I start to think “other than iPhone”? iHike is what keeps me Apple. (So it’s sold for them a 4s, 5s, 6s+, 7+, and XSMax since I bought in on my 3g, lol)
I could go on for hours.
The only way this would improve? Is if we had CarPlay/Projection Manager stuff. And trivial, but I’d sacrifice a small portion of my screen for an active Gps driven speedometer indicator.
I have been using this app for years to record gps tracks on the USGS topographic maps. It works wonderfully! I am using my Garmin units less now. You do need to bring along external batteries to power the iPhone gps on a long day trip. My only quibble is that it does not record enough data points for a long bike ride, so you must remember to save your data log every few hours or it will start to overwrite itself without warning when it has reached its maximum number of points.
Developer Response ,
If you enable notifications for iHikeGPS, it will give you a warning when the track log is full.
- James Associates Inc.
- 13.5 MB
Requires iOS 9.3 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- This app may use your location even when it isn't open, which can decrease battery life.
- © 2019 James Associates Inc.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.