Your iPhone or iPad becomes a high-performance GPS receiver with USGS, US Forest Service & Canadian topo maps, even where there is no cell signal!
Headed into the wilderness? Always know where you've been, where you are, and where you’re going. Highest quality track recording, best route navigation and most accurate Estimated Time of Arrival of any available hiking app. No sign-up, ads, subscription or in-app purchase required, making this less expensive, less hassle & more privacy respecting than the “free” or subscription apps.
Use for hiking, backpacking, biking, canoeing, kayaking, geocaching, camping, sightseeing, 4WD exploring & hunting. Recommended as the top choice in “Essential Gear for Safe Hiking”.
TRACKS, WAYPOINTS & ROUTES
Record a track as you walk, even in the background. View it on the map. Trip Timer & Odometer.
Show an elevation graph of your track or a route. View date, time, average speed and % grade of track points. Measure the area inside a closed path.
Mark waypoints by their position on a topo or satellite map, by searching for a place name or address, by tapping a geotagged photo, or by projecting from a known point. Refine a waypoint position when you arrive.
Set a quick GoTo waypoint or a full route & see the heading, direction, distance, elevation change & Estimated Time of Arrival at your destination & intermediate waypoints along the trail.
Create routes using waypoints, recorded tracks, or imported GPX, KML or TCX files. Advanced route editing.
Export GPX and KML waypoint, route, track, and map list files via eMail, Messages, Copy To, AirDrop, iCloud Drive, Google Drive, or the Mac Finder.
Send data to Google Earth.
View and share the sun and moon position and rise & set times for any time and any place on earth.
NO EXTRA CHARGE FOR TOPO MAPS
USA: Newest (2015 or later) US Forest Service FSTopo 24K maps
USGS 24K maps for all 50 states, Guam, Puerto Rico & the US Virgin Islands
USGS 250K & 100K (63K for Alaska) maps for all states
Canada south of 54° latitude: National Resources Canada 50K maps for Alberta, British Columbia, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia & Prince Edward Island, and 18 Canadian National Parks
Download using WiFi or cell service.
Stitches beautiful richly detailed offline topographic map images for seamless coverage across map boundaries.
Store up to 1024 maps to use in the wilderness without cell service. Maps from our server download faster & use less of your monthly data allotment.
Includes map legends.
Print & Share map images overlaid with waypoints, routes & tracks.
Measure distance and direction between any 2 points.
USE THE UNITS YOU PREFER
miles, nautical miles or km. ft or meters
Degrees, Degrees/Minutes, Degrees/Minutes/Seconds or UTM
°True or °Magnetic
Tap Help in the App
Online Manual on iHikeGPS.com
Email developer: lwjames@iHikeGPS.com
WHAT OTHERS SAY
“I am VERY impressed!!!…It pretty much blows…, my previous fave GPS app, out of the water. Your track recording features, fast map downloads, and well thought out interface make it a real winner. It's very sophisticated software, and makes my iPhone just about as good as $600 Garmin… Actually better, in a lot of ways”-John in OR
“Perfect for anyone camping, fishing & hiking, it'll provide great detail when you need it the most…for anyone who takes the great outdoors seriously”-David on HandheldItems.com
“…thank you for developing IHIKE GPS…what a great product it is. I am impressed!…I use it hiking, biking, skiing & Jeeping”-Ammon in CO
No device requires a cellular data plan to use iHikeGPS.
WiFi+cellular iPad 2 & later, and iPhone 4S & later support full navigation.
WiFi-only iPad 2 & later, and iPod touch (5th gen) & later require an iOS-compatible external GPS receiver to show your location in the wilderness & record tracks. View maps using the iOS device alone.
Your dream of hiking adventures reaches new heights with iHikeGPS!
I use this app daily on trails in Colorado. I'm continually improving it so it will be even more useful! This version is updated for the new operating system version, and the new iPhones and iPads.
What's new in iHikeGPS when compared with other available USA and Canada topo map apps?
• You don't just see waypoints and routes displayed on the map, you can actually do real navigation to those waypoints and along those routes. You get information such as Estimated Time of Arrival, current bearing, and remaining distance and elevation gain to your intermediate and final destinations.
• Many apps don't offer US Forest Service topo maps at all. Others say they include US Forest Service maps, but actually just give you the old 2013 USFS maps. iHikeGPS gives you (with no additional charge) the very latest US Forest Service maps which show many new and more accurately placed trails, numbered Forest Service roads, buildings, and other important details. They show forested areas and inholdings so you know if you are on Forest Service land or private land. None of these maps are older than 2015, and many are even more recent. If you ever travel into wilderness and National Forest Service areas, then you will benefit hugely from having these up-to-date USFS maps available.
• You can view an elevation graph of your tracks and your routes with waypoints, speed and % grade shown on it.
• You can create, import, edit, and navigate both on routes based on a recorded or imported path, and on routes based on a series of waypoints.
• iHikeGPS' s code size is kept very small by efficient programming, so in an emergency you can download it easily even over a weak cell connection.
• There is never any confusion over what maps you have available offline. They are clearly listed by USGS quad name and shown on an overview map.
• Check the App Privacy section. We don't know who you are when you are using iHikeGPS. We never send your current location or your recorded track to our servers. Hence we cannot and don't use your location data. We cannot and don't provide your location data to anyone else. Many other mapping apps do profit from using your location data in ways that do not keep it private.
Ratings and Reviews
This app is amazing works great while hunting in areas with no service what so ever. The only thing I see that would make this app better would be a way to store maps and waypoints in specific folders for the different areas that may be downloaded. Would be 5 stars otherwise.
Developer Response ,
iHikeGPS uses search instead of folders so you don't have to spend time maintaining a folder organization. For example if you want only waypoints or maps that are in the Rocky Mountain National Park area, just type “40 105" in the search bar at the top of the Waypoints or Map List screen. Since Rocky Mountain National Park is located between 40° and 41° latitude, and -105° and -106° longitude, only those places in and around Rocky Mountain National Park will appear in the filtered listing of maps or waypoints.
I’m passionate the outdoors. I seem to use paper maps and iPhone/iPad apps weekly for hiking, backpacking, bikepacking, backcountry skiing and exploring in my car. I have maintained a paid Gaia subscription for years, I’ve used low cost/free GPS mapping tools, location enabled PDF’s, etc. Still iHike is the simplest, fastest, most intuitive app of them all, with also the lowest power consumption and best map download facility. These days I only use Gaia on my Mac at home for planning.
The map choices on iHike are ‘limited’ to USGS and USFS topos, but in real life these are the ones you need for backcountry travel.
It works but....
Good app for hunting, hiking or even tracking. I like the fact that you can enter shared coordinates and track your own with different icons. There’s are plenty of default roads and waypoints that help your progress and the offline maps are a plus.
I would like to see more map options, especially with the offline maps. I don’t always know what the terrain ahead of me looks like, so a more detailed map would really help out there. Also, when I am tracking from one grid to the next, the downloaded map just disappears until I double tap on the white area, then the map I just left disappears. I need to screen shot and send my progress for work and that is a real problem if I can’t show where I was at.
Within the last few days, the app won’t find my location. It’ll just take me to the last map I downloaded, not my current location. I need coordinates of where I’m at. Not very useful anymore.
I might delete app and pay again for something else that is more reliable.
Developer Response ,
iHikeGPS works in two modes, with and without map stitching. Map stitching can be turned on and off in Settings. Map stitching OFF allows you to see all of the information in the margins of the USGS topo quads, but it does give the described behavior of the current quadrangle disappearing from view when you switch to viewing a new quadrangle where the margins would cover up the view of the previous map. Map stitching ON is the normal mode that most people will use. In that mode, all map quads are continuously visible, clipped at the margins, and stitched together as you move across quad boundaries. The only exception is where two map quads have different map projections, such as one quad being a modern USFS map using the latitude-longitude map projection, and the adjacent quad being a USGS map using the Universal Transverse Mercator zone map projection.
The only way iHikeGPS would not find your current location is if the Location Services part of the iOS operating system is not providing your current location to the app. To fix this, make sure that Privacy>Location Services permissions are turned on in the Settings app for iHikeGPS. Sometimes the GPS receiver in an iOS device temporarily stops providing a location. To fix this, restart your device, turn off AutoLock, start iHikeGPS, then place your iOS device outside somewhere with a clear view of the entire sky and let it sit there for a half hour or so to re-establish a lock on the received GPS satellite signals.
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- James Associates Inc.
- 14.2 MB
- Requires iOS 9.3 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 9.3 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 9.3 or later.
- Age Rating
- This app may use your location even when it isn’t open, which can decrease battery life.
- © 2021 James Associates Inc.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.