iKals is one of 10 iNutrient apps based on the USDA National Nutrient Database. The others include:
- iCarbs (Carbohydrates)
- iCholesterol (Dietary Cholesterol)
- iFiber (Fiber)
- iPotassium (Potassium)
- iProteins (Proteins)
- iSatFat (Saturated Fat)
- iSodium (Sodium)
- iSugars (Sugars)
- Vitamin K (Vitamins K1, K1D & K2)
Users can record their intake for any food. The information is maintained for one year and is presented in reverse chronological order grouped by day, so the latest data is presented first in the list. Editing allows for: 1) changing the number of servings; 2) changing the date; and 3) deleting records. Individual Intake Items can be copied to the current day, and all Intake Items for a single day can be copied to the current day.
If you are counting calories, possibly to help keep you weight under control, then this is an app you will truly make use of on a regular basis.
The iKals app provides information about foods and how they are rated for Calorie content. This is provided as a means to assist in deciding which foods to eat. The food servings are rated from EXTREMELY LOW in Calories all the way up to EXTREMELY HIGH. The following colors help readily identify which is which:
- Black = Rated EXTREMELY HIGH in Calories (500 - 1,181)
- Dark Red = Rated VERY HIGH in Calories (400 - 499) -
- Red = Rated HIGH in Calories (300 - 399)
- Orange = Rated MODERATELY HIGH in Calories (250 - 299)
- Yellow = Rated MODERATE in Calories (200 - 249)
- Light Green = Rated MODERATELY LOW in Calories (150 - 199)
- Green = Rated LOW in Calories (100 - 149)
- Cyan = Rated VERY LOW in Calories (50 - 99)
- White = Rated EXTREMELY LOW in Calories (00 - 49)
There are eight tables listing food servings:
- All Foods
- Fast Foods
- Fruits & Vegetables
- Meat, Fish & Shellfish
- Dairy & Egg
- Cereal Grains & Pasta
The All Foods list allows you to search by any word or partial word from all the Food Titles.
Selecting a food in any of the tables will display pertinent information about the selected food serving:
- Food Title
- Weight (in grams)
- Common Measure (serving size for weight)
- Calorie Content (in kcal)
- USDA Description
- USDA Food Group
- USDA Nutrient Database Number
Information is derived from the USDA National Nutrient Database for Standard Reference: Energy (kcal) Content of Selected Foods per Common Measure. There are currently over 1,100 different food servings included, searchable using more than 2,500 names (some foods are known by different names or how they are prepared, e.g., "Egg, Scrambles" and "Scrambled Egg"). A few these have as many as six searchable names.
The iKals Info screen provides access to additional information pages:
- What are Calories?
- Calorie Recommendations
- Highest Calorie Foods
- How to Use this App
- Access My Records
- iNutrients Custom Food Definitions (another app with more features and data for 10 nutrients)
- Other Important Info. (includes allowance to 1) Report a Problem; 2) Ask a Questions; and 3) Make a Suggestion)
A powerful new Search Facility has been added to the All Foods view. You can now search providing two search words/phrases. The first is required, but the second is optional. If a second word/phrase is provided, then you have the option of three possible ways to use the two words/phrases: 1) AND; 2) OR; and 3) BUT NOT. Search words/phrases are case insensitive. White space at the beginning and end of Search words/phrases will be removed. The "AND / OR / BUT NOT" operand selection is not taken into account unless there is a second Search word/phrase. As you are entering the Search criteria, the number of items found is displayed.
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
I really like being able to keep track of my calorie intake as I go throughout the day ... and then I can review it any time I like.
This is a Great App for Healthy minded people.
This is a Great App for Healthy minded people. Especially if your counting calories.
- James Hollender
- 27.6 MB
- Health & Fitness
Requires iOS 12.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Infrequent/Mild Medical/Treatment Information
- ©2010 - 2019 James Hollender
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.