Immersive Chinese 4+
Simple Chinese Spoken Clearly
- Offers In-App Purchases
Immersive Chinese is a simple but effective method for learning practical spoken Mandarin Chinese. No gimmicks or time-wasting games, Immersive Chinese uses meticulous course design and high-quality audio to provide the best way to learn spoken Chinese from scratch.
• More than 12000 high-quality audio recordings.
• Perfect difficulty curve for beginners.
• Carefully designed serial course that introduces new words in a controlled way.
• Powerful revision tools that allow you to create highly-customised study sessions.
• Includes separate slow and normal speed recordings. Hear every detail in the slow version. Now also includes a separate male voice.
• Choice of simplified or traditional characters.
• Currently includes 185 lessons and more than 4500 unique sentences
• 36 lessons are available for free, and a full subscription is just a few dollars.
• Save custom lists of vocabulary and sentences and generate study sessions from them.
• Each line of text (translation, pinyin or Chinese characters) can be individually revealed and hidden.
• Full offline use supported (all files can be downloaded and stored locally).
• Detailed notes and definitions.
• Repetition Training allows you to drill your listening and hear a huge volume of comprehensible input covering the exact material you want to practice.
• Highly customisable audio playback (set the exact time delay between sentences).
• Detailed pronunciation guide.
• Mix of individual sentences and short stories.
• Audio recorded by a professional broadcaster with perfectly standard Mandarin.
• Integrates with the desktop web browser version (found at console.immersivechinese.com).
Natural and Intuitive Way to Learn Spoken Chinese
The Serial Course contains months worth of content and is designed to take you from absolute beginner all the way to intermediate level. It starts out with extremely simple sentences and gently builds on that, only introducing new material very gradually. The content is carefully designed so that you are never confronted with a word you don't know. The aim of the course is to give you the essential building blocks for forming practical sentences of your own. It naturally integrates spaced repetition so that as you move forward you are continually revising previous content.
Powerful Revision Features
Research into language acquisition has shown that repetition of comprehensible content is one of the most effective ways of learning a language. Repetition Training is a core feature of Immersive Chinese that allows you to play a specific selection of content on a continuous loop according to a number of different settings. You can set the specific time delay before and after each sentence, use normal speed or slow recordings, repeat each sentence a certain number of times, and use a random or sequential order. You can also add custom filters, so you only study the exact material you want to.
Give it a try and start making progress today.
Bug fix for autoplay issues on iOS 16.
Ratings and Reviews
This is in my trifecta of Apps for learning Chinese
Du Chinese, Pleco Dictionary (obviously) and Immersive Chinese (this app) are all you need.
The Chinese spoken in Immersive Chinese is clear, and easy to understand once you get enough practice in. You can tell a human is speaking and not some robot. I have to admit the tones on a couple words sound off though but that’s not a big deal. I like that the lessons are based on vocabulary so if you want to learn how to use a word just pull up the lesson and listen to the examples over and over. The grammar is all correct so you just have to follow how the app speaks and incorporate it into your own learning. Buying a subscription is a MUST! This app is invaluable for how much content and help it provides.
After 15 years of frustration with tutors, classes, textbooks, workbooks, flash cards, audio courses, translators, dictionaries (okay except Pleco), and umpteen apps that claim to teach Chinese, with Immersive Chinese I've been more motivated and have made more progress in just a few weeks, especially reading and listening, and even recalling and writing characters. The interactive drill format, incremental introduction of vocabulary, and real-life sentences that teach grammar implicitly without a word of linguistic jargon, are truly ingenious. The lack of irrelevant graphics, animations, gaming, stories, cultural diversions and other distractions let me focus on building language skills and experience the pure joy of learning.
A very useful resource
This is a very well done app!
The interface is very clean and easy to use, even on the go. The recordings are very clear and recorded consistently. Most important here is there is no extraneous content, like music or intro nonsense. So it is pure listening content with no wasted time.
What I like most is that there is lots of variations in sentence construction, like you might run into in real life.
Also lots of settings to control auto repeat and delays so that you can get the most out of listening time.
A very well constructed learning tool that I really enjoy using. I highly recommend this app!
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Iain Chalmers
- 28.8 MB
- Requires iOS 13.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 13.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 13.0 or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2022 Iain Chalmers
- In-App Purchases
- Immersive Chinese $2.49
- Lifetime Access $14.99
- Immersive Chinese $6.99
- Immersive Chinese $5.99