With a streamlined design and intuitive Multi-Touch gestures, iMovie lets you create Hollywood-style trailers and beautiful movies like never before.
Make Hollywood-style trailers
• Choose from 14 trailer templates with stunning graphics and original scores by some of the world’s top film composers
• Customize movie studio logos, cast names, and credits
• Select the best videos and photos for your trailer with the help of animated drop zones
• Record video for your trailer right in iMovie
Create beautiful movies
• Choose from 8 unique themes with matching titles, transitions, and music
• Give your movie the perfect look with 10 Apple-designed video filters
• Enhance your movie with slow motion and fast forward*
• Easily add picture in picture, green screen, and split screen effects
• Create a soundtrack using built-in music that automatically adjusts to match the length of your movie
• Add sound effects, songs from your music library, and your own narration
• Connect a keyboard and use simple shortcuts to edit movies quickly
• Easily transfer projects between your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch using AirDrop or iCloud Drive
• Send any project to your Mac via AirDrop or iCloud Drive to finish editing with iMovie or Final Cut Pro X
• Connect an external display to your iPhone or iPad and choose to mirror the iMovie interface or display your video fullscreen while you edit**
Share with friends and family
• Send videos with Mail and Messages
• Save to your photo library or share to YouTube in 4K or 1080p60***
• Save videos and iMovie project files to iCloud Drive
• Share videos and iMovie project files with AirDrop****
• Use AirPlay to wirelessly stream video to your HDTV with Apple TV*****
* 2x speed-up is available on iPhone 5s, iPad Air, iPad mini with Retina display, and later devices.
** Requires iPhone 7 or later, iPad (6th generation) or iPad Pro (2017) or later
*** 4K support is available on iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, iPad Air 2, iPad Pro, and later devices.
**** AirDrop requires an iCloud account and is available on iPhone 5, iPad (4th generation), iPad Air, iPad mini, iPod touch (5th generation), and later devices.
***** AirPlay requires Apple TV (2nd generation) or later.
•Transform your video with the new green screen effect that lets you instantly remove the background of clips shot in front of a green or blue screen
• Adjust the green screen effect with a 4-point mask and strength slider
• Choose from 80 new soundtracks in genres including pop, chill, and sentimental that automatically adjust to match the length of your movie
•Drop in still images with transparent backgrounds to use as logos or custom graphics on top of your video
• Add photos as overlays to create picture-in-picture and split-screen effects
• Choose to hide the border that surrounds picture-in-picture and split-screen effects
• Instantly return to the edit screen of your project when switching back to iMovie from other applications
• ClassKit support lets students deliver video assignments to teachers using the Schoolwork app
• For users with videos in iMovie Theater, the Theater window is now accessible from the ••• menu at the bottom of the Projects screen
• Sharing to iMovie Theater is no longer supported; save your movies and trailers to iCloud Photos to watch them on other devices including Apple TV
• Resolves an issue that could lead to a black viewer when previewing your video fullscreen on an external display
Ratings and Reviews
Overall great, but some suggestions as well
I really love this app! It’s very simple to use and can be used to make some very nice videos. The way you can make trailers is super cool too! It basically makes it for you and it comes out looking very professional! However there are some things that I really wish would change. First of all the text, I wish you could move it wherever you think its looks best, not just the center or bottom left or right corner and be able to choose a color for it. Another thing is the fact that you can’t do the slow zoom effect which is gaining much fame amongst YouTubers. I also wish that you could do some more effects like wavy effects or distortions if that makes sense. I know that you can do some of these on IMovie on Macs but that leads me to the last thing, I wish there were just overall more of the things you can do on Macs available for iPhones because let’s face it, most people with IMovie have iPhones. But with just a couple changes it could be sooo much better!! I hope you take this into consideration 😊
Good, but some suggestions
I think the app is great! I use it to edit my videos and make them look professional. There are a few things I think Apple Should do though. First of all, I think they should add an option to actually move the text wherever you want, not just where the set locations are. I also think they should make an option to choose the color of your text. This would be very helpful! Lastly, I think that we should be able to add a picture over a video (overlapping). I think that adding these features would bring the app to 5 stars by me, and I'm sure it'll bring much more happier customers in the future.
Something else to note, which really frustrates me, is the fact that when you have missing photos or videos in your project, it doesn't let you save it! I've worked so hard on this one project and because I have 1 picture missing from my camera roll, I can't play it back or share it!
Also, I do not like how you cannot move audio to the exact spot where you want it- songs you have in your library have to start from the beginning of the movie, not when you want it to
Please fix this!!
Great, but needs some bug squishing
I’m really impressed how this app is sort of like it’s counterpart of the Mac version. Just make an app from another app and make it portable. Example, NES and Gameboy. There used to be a bunch of issues on the app, now the whole app needs a bunch of bug fixing to make the app more special again. I swear to god, there are times were videos and audio get squished up into one place. Another time is where I move one photo or video or audio, the whole project gets moved to the side, making me adjust the project again an again if I do any minor thing. All in all, the app is not perfect, but is still pretty great for people who want to create their own movies or videos to share with their friends and family.
EDIT: I believe Apple listened to me, but iMovie has finally fixed most of the bugs I have faced! And to add with that, they included almost all of the music from the Mac version and added green screen effects! Finally!!! We all thank you Apple for fixing and helping other users for this long awaited update!!! 😊
- Apple Inc.
- 714.6 MB
- Photo & Video
Requires iOS 11.4 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
English, Arabic, Catalan, Chinese (Hong Kong), Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2013-2018 Apple Inc. All rights reserved.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.