With a streamlined design and intuitive editing features, iMovie lets you create Hollywood-style trailers and beautiful movies like never before. Browse your video library, share favorite moments, and create beautiful movies that you can edit at resolutions up to 4K. You can even start editing movies on an iPhone or iPad, and finish them on a Mac.
Browse and share video
• See all your video clips and photos organized in one place
• Quickly share a clip or a portion of a clip
• Background import lets you begin watching and sharing video instantly
Make Hollywood-style trailers
• Choose from 29 trailer templates with stunning graphics and original scores by some of the world’s top film composers
• Customize movie studio logos, cast names, and credits
• Select the best videos and photos for your trailer with the help of animated drop zones
Create beautiful 4K and HD movies
• Edit movies at up to 4K resolution with video from iPhone 6s or later, GoPro, and other Ultra HD cameras on compatible Macs
• Change focus points or the depth effect for video shot in Cinematic mode on iPhone 13 (requires macOS Monterey)
• Support for 1080p HD video at 60 frames per second for smoother, more life-like action shots
• Import movies and trailers created using iMovie on iPhone or iPad to finish them on your Mac
• Enhance your movie by adding titles, transitions, and 3D globes and travel maps
• Speed up and slow down the action with fast-forward and slow-motion effects
• Create sophisticated picture-in-picture, side-by-side, and green screen effects
• Create a soundtrack using built-in music and sound effects, songs from your iTunes library, songs you’ve recorded in GarageBand, and your own narration
Fine-tune every clip
• Instantly improve the look and sound of your video using one-click Enhance
• Give your video a boost with easy-to-use color controls
• Stabilize shaky video for a smoother picture that’s easier to watch
• Automatically zoom in on faces and glide across panorama photos with the Ken Burns Effect
• Choose from 48 fun video and audio effects
• Send your project to Final Cut Pro and take advantage of advanced editing tools, professional effects, third-party plug-ins, and more
Share with friends and family
• Email videos with Mail Drop when signed in to iCloud
• Export a video optimized for YouTube, Facebook, and other popular video destinations
• Share any video frame as an image
Create App Previews for the App Store
• Import iPhone and iPad screen recording videos captured with QuickTime Player
• Highlight features with 11 animated titles designed to showcase apps in action
• Export finished videos using the App Preview share option
System Requirements: macOS 11.5.1 or later, 3GB of available disk space.
• Fixes an issue where the Command-Z keyboard shortcut would not perform an Undo if Language was set to Spanish in System Preferences
Ratings and Reviews
Works great, some flaws.
I think iMovie works great. But here is my complaint. I am gonna startwith the pros, than Iwil get to the cons. iMovie works great for editing and organizing videos and pictures. When I started to use iMovie I did realize it is really good quality. Okay, here are the cons. I love iMovie and I dont know if this is just for me, but it takes very long to download. Once it almost took 30 minutes, I'm not sure if this is something to do with the space on your computer, but this is defintely a big flaw I deal with when I try to download it on several devices. I also do thinkit is a bit confusing to use on a laptop or any computer in general. I tried to select a specific part of my clip I imported, and instead I had to split the clip, since I went through this struggle. I have done this on iPad and it works just fine. I can select specific parts of clips on iPad, just on here it is much more confusing. I also went through some struggle just importing my video into the editing section. I think this was quite annoying. That is about it. Thank you for listening.
Used to work great before this most recent update.
I can’t get iMovie to do anything correctly anymore since I updated it. They changed things about it that are very annoying. Before, you could just drag whatever videos or photos you wanted straight into the editing section of iMovie off of your desktop, a folder, an external drive, anything. Now you have to drag them into these specific folders inside iMovie (at least you can create your own) and from there you can drag them into the editing section. Why the extra step? Its literally there for no reason. I wish I could just go back to the old version. Thats not the worst of it either. Im trying to do a time lapse edit, and Ive always had this issue with iMovie, why can I not play the clips at less than 0.1 sec each? hours of timelaps photos need to be broken down do a minute or two, not 10. Even worse though, is that it can’t even get the order correct anymore. I drop them all in and they come out in the completely wrong order. Frames are changing back and forth the entire time you watch it. Then it gets worse! How's that even possible? I don't know. It doesn’t even export what you made. Using the 0.1 second frames (the LOWEST choice I had) it came out to something like 2min 25sec or so. I exported it, it took FOREVER, then all of the sudden it was only the first 7 seconds of my film. Seriously. How could you possibly screw up so many features in one update? Just take it back to when it was simple and usable, PLEASE.
Why is the screen quite small?
I use this software all the time when it comes to creating videos and so far everything is going great. However, I have a few suggestions for improvement of this app that it really needs. First of all, why do the movies have to take up so much space? And second of all, why are there extra black bars on the screen that plays my video in square shaped like seriously. Why does it have to play the videos in a smaller screen?! This is something that is really bothering me and I hope there will be a solution to this ASAP! Apple, please make iMovie not alter the size of the screen of the original video clip and please remove those extra black bars above and below the video clip as well as the ones on the sides please!!! I want to play my videos on a big enough screen and iMovie ruined it with those extra black bars so PLEASE REMOVE THEM AND STOP MAKING IMOVIE ALTER THE SCREEN OF THE ORIGINAL VIDEO CLIPS PLEASE!!!! FIX THIS ISSUE RIGHT NOW ASAP PLEASE!!!!!
Data Linked to You
The following data may be collected and linked to your identity:
- User Content
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Apple Inc.
- 2.4 GB
- Photo & Video
- Requires macOS 11.5.1 or later.
English, Catalan, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Norwegian Bokmål, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
- Age Rating
- © 1999-2001, 2003-2021 Apple Inc. All rights reserved.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.