With a streamlined design and intuitive editing features, iMovie lets you create Hollywood-style trailers and beautiful movies like never before. Browse your video library, share favorite moments, and create beautiful movies that you can edit at resolutions up to 4K. You can even start editing movies on an iPhone or iPad, and finish them on a Mac.
Browse and share video
• See all your video clips and photos organized in one place
• Quickly share a clip or a portion of a clip
• Background import lets you begin watching and sharing video instantly
Make Hollywood-style trailers
• Choose from 29 trailer templates with stunning graphics and original scores by some of the world’s top film composers
• Customize movie studio logos, cast names, and credits
• Select the best videos and photos for your trailer with the help of animated drop zones
Create beautiful 4K and HD movies
• Edit movies at up to 4K resolution with video from iPhone 6s or later, GoPro, and other Ultra HD cameras on compatible Macs
• Change focus points or the depth effect for video shot in Cinematic mode on iPhone 13 or later (requires macOS Monterey)
• Support for 1080p HD video at 60 frames per second for smoother, more life-like action shots
• Import Magic Movie, Storyboard and Movie projects created with iMovie on iPhone or iPad into the timeline
• Enhance your movie by adding titles, transitions, and 3D globes and travel maps
• Speed up and slow down the action with fast-forward and slow-motion effects
• Create sophisticated picture-in-picture, side-by-side, and green screen effects
• Create a soundtrack using built-in music and sound effects, songs from your iTunes library, songs you’ve recorded in GarageBand, and your own narration
Fine-tune every clip
• Instantly improve the look and sound of your video using one-click Enhance
• Give your video a boost with easy-to-use color controls
• Stabilize shaky video for a smoother picture that’s easier to watch
• Automatically zoom in on faces and glide across panorama photos with the Ken Burns Effect
• Choose from 48 fun video and audio effects
• Send your project to Final Cut Pro and take advantage of advanced editing tools, professional effects, third-party plug-ins, and more
Share with friends and family
• Email videos with Mail Drop when signed in to iCloud
• Export a video optimized for YouTube, Facebook, and other popular video destinations
• Share any video frame as an image
Create App Previews for the App Store
• Import iPhone and iPad screen recording videos captured with QuickTime Player
• Highlight features with 11 animated titles designed to showcase apps in action
• Export finished videos using the App Preview share option
System Requirements: macOS 11.5.1 or later, 4GB RAM, 3.5GB of available disk space.
• Import Magic Movie and Storyboard projects from iMovie for iOS and iPadOS
• Includes stability and performance improvements
Ratings and Reviews
Works great, some flaws.
I think iMovie works great. But here is my complaint. I am gonna startwith the pros, than Iwil get to the cons. iMovie works great for editing and organizing videos and pictures. When I started to use iMovie I did realize it is really good quality. Okay, here are the cons. I love iMovie and I dont know if this is just for me, but it takes very long to download. Once it almost took 30 minutes, I'm not sure if this is something to do with the space on your computer, but this is defintely a big flaw I deal with when I try to download it on several devices. I also do thinkit is a bit confusing to use on a laptop or any computer in general. I tried to select a specific part of my clip I imported, and instead I had to split the clip, since I went through this struggle. I have done this on iPad and it works just fine. I can select specific parts of clips on iPad, just on here it is much more confusing. I also went through some struggle just importing my video into the editing section. I think this was quite annoying. That is about it. Thank you for listening.
Used to work great before this most recent update.
I can’t get iMovie to do anything correctly anymore since I updated it. They changed things about it that are very annoying. Before, you could just drag whatever videos or photos you wanted straight into the editing section of iMovie off of your desktop, a folder, an external drive, anything. Now you have to drag them into these specific folders inside iMovie (at least you can create your own) and from there you can drag them into the editing section. Why the extra step? Its literally there for no reason. I wish I could just go back to the old version. Thats not the worst of it either. Im trying to do a time lapse edit, and Ive always had this issue with iMovie, why can I not play the clips at less than 0.1 sec each? hours of timelaps photos need to be broken down do a minute or two, not 10. Even worse though, is that it can’t even get the order correct anymore. I drop them all in and they come out in the completely wrong order. Frames are changing back and forth the entire time you watch it. Then it gets worse! How's that even possible? I don't know. It doesn’t even export what you made. Using the 0.1 second frames (the LOWEST choice I had) it came out to something like 2min 25sec or so. I exported it, it took FOREVER, then all of the sudden it was only the first 7 seconds of my film. Seriously. How could you possibly screw up so many features in one update? Just take it back to when it was simple and usable, PLEASE.
Amazing what you can do with this free product!
My husband and I are YouTubers who like to put out a professional product but don't yet have money in the budget for a professional movie editing program. We have found iMovie to be a very good product for the price! We're actually amazed at being able to combine multiple video and audio tracks together, do various transitions, change the speed of clips, crop, use filters, etc. There really is so much you can do, and I'm learning new tricks all the time to improve my videos.
The frustrations I have with this program, first and foremost--the "Titles" are very limited. I find myself constantly tweaking the few options that are there to "kind of" do what I want, and there are such limited places and styles to overlay text on a clip. I would also love to be able to include other animated graphics, such as moving arrows or circling an object. And finally, exporting videos is excruciatingly slow and requires so much hard drive space! I have had to connect a bootable external hard drive to my Macbook just for iMovie use, since I've started shooting in 5K .
If these issues could be resolved, I would honestly not ever have need for a "professional" movie program, and would give this a resounding 5 stars.
Data Linked to You
The following data may be collected and linked to your identity:
- User Content
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Apple Inc.
- 2.6 GB
- Photo & Video
- Requires macOS 11.5.1 or later.
English, Catalan, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Norwegian Bokmål, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
- Age Rating
- © 1999-2001, 2003-2022 Apple Inc. All rights reserved.