Inkist Lite is the best free way to sketch and draw on your Mac. It is full of powerful tools packaged in an interface designed to launch quickly, get out of your way, and let you work.
Inkist Lite gives you a free and useful way to try out Inkist by creating images with up to 3 layers.
At this time Inkist is purely a bitmap drawing/painting app (no vector tools).
• Layers, with blend modes, opacity, and opacity locking settings
• Color Palette with adjustable brightness and temperature controls
• Customizable Brush Parameters:
◦ Size (Under light tablet pressure)
◦ Pattern (from image or layer)
◦ Opacity (Under light tablet pressure)
◦ Size Jitter
◦ Lighten/Darken/Normal Blending
• Blending tool
• Dodge/Burn blending with customizable strength for highlights, mid tones, and temperature adjustment
• Line tool
• Selection tools
• Hue Saturation Lightness controls
• Flexible interface allows you to pop out the controls you want into floating windows
• Export to PSD*, Jpeg, PNG, and Tiff (proprietary ISImage file format is Native)
• Import PSD* files
• Layers are supported, but layer settings (blend modes, transparency settings) are not
• Layers above the bottom three layers will be flattened into the top Inkist layer
• Inkist may have trouble opening images significantly larger than Inkist's maximum canvas size
I wrote Inkist for one simple reason. I love my drawing tablet, but I've found that despite the fantastic power available in existing apps, they are cluttered and annoying to use. Inkist is the result of my work to fix that.
• Updated Interface and Icon
• Adds option to move tools to the right side of the window
• Improved performance for zooming and brushing
• Fixes bug where selection/text tools wouldn't work after changing canvas size
• Detached palettes now hide when Inkist is in the background
• Adds support for Wacom multitouch gestures (more gestures will come in the future)
Ratings and Reviews
Not bad for a free app
It’s a good app for basic things but didn’t work for what I needed. It appears to only support 3 layers at a time but occasionaly it would show up to 5. Then, during another action, I would lose 2 layers and it was back to 3. Very buggy in that aspect. Also, wheh you want to make a layer from a selection, instead of making a copy of the selection, it cuts the selection from the orignal layer. This can be useful in some situations but isn’t always the disired behavior. Would be nice to have an option. Another thing I noticed was the color picker tool wasn’t quite accurate. I had a solid blue bar in an image that I needed to duplicate for another layer but when I filled with the selected color, it was way off. I had a very hard time matching the color I needed.
Can't be pixel perfect
Couldn't figure out how to draw a 1px solid line RGB(170, 170, 170) with no opacity. Too many complicated options.
The UI is nice and I am sure this app is good for sketching, but not for creating assets.
Seemed like it has decent features….
I do extremely basic projects using text boxes and solid colors - even this was difficult to figure out (and I'm fairly computer-saavy). The features seem to be more than adequate, but there is no instructions on how to do basic tasks. Trying to edit things was a nightmare so when I did screw up it was easier to start a new project than try and figure out how to edit what I already had. The "help" is absolutely no help.
The developer, Tai Shimizu, has not provided details about its privacy practices and handling of data to Apple.
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- Tai Shimizu
- 6.2 MB
- Graphics & Design
- Requires macOS 10.7 or later.
- Age Rating
- © Tai Shimizu
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.