Inspiral creates breathtaking, geometric line drawings using a clever system of interlocking gears. You'll be delighted and surprised as complex, captivating designs emerge under your fingertips.
• No ads
• 150+ gears, including circles, ovals, triangles, squares, pentagons, rings, beams, and a variety of unusual shapes
• Drag gears to draw, or let auto-draw do it for you
• Large variety of pen styles
• Custom pen and canvas colors
• Rotate gears in-place tooth-by-tooth for precision drawing
• Select from over 5000 pen holes
• Zoom, pan, and rotate the canvas using intuitive multi-touch gestures
• Rotate and move the fixed gear, or lock it into place
• Snap fixed gear back to previous positions
• Infinite undo/redo
• Multiple canvas sizes
• Crop and rotate your masterpiece before saving or sharing
• In-app help documentation (also available online: https://inspiral.nathanfriend.io/help/)
Minor bug fixes.
Ratings and Reviews
I used to play with Inspirograph all the time, and now it’s back and much, much better. There are more features than the website, and it’s just great. The best one is the automatic line drawing — you click a button and watch as the spiral completes one perfect circuit, which is super satisfying (although I wish I could make it go faster). I’d prefer if the “Tools” “Pen” and “Gears” buttons weren’t awkwardly oriented in Landscape Mode on iPad, but it’s not the end of the world. At least landscape mode is there! A redo option would be handy, too. It’s great that the app has full iPad support — it’s even more fun on iPad! It even works with Slide Over and Split View! I do notice though that when using Slide Over or Split View, I can’t seem to type in other applications if Inspiral is open. I just tried it while writing this review and yeah, it commandeers my keyboard. Totally worth the $5 in-app purchase to support this neat app! I’m going to have lots of fun and make some custom wallpapers with Inspiral! :)
Oh! One more feature request: it would be AWESOME to be able to select multiple pen holes at once, so you could see a whole pattern get drawn out all at once!!
Wonderful and Beautiful Gear Art designer
Having spent many hours and reams of paper with the plastic version decades ago, it is a delight to have a very complete and detailed digital version. From gear choices, pen/paper colors/sizes, tools for auto rotate and down to choosing which hole in a gear to use, I can’t think of anything left out. And no wasted paper, broken pens/pencils, broken gears (especially missing teeth).
It’s unclear how to get a NEW canvas
. It’s unclear how to get a NEW canvas. I’ve checked the help section. Nothing. No buttons that say new canvas. It seems I can only erase the one canvas. It’s kind of unexpected. I bought the $4.99 paid version because I’ve always love my Spirograph. I still have the one I got as a child. I also have a metal version. Now I couldn’t resist this one. I love it. Except the lack of a new canvas or any instructions addressing this. That’s why it’s not five stars. Also it would be a huge improvement to have a guide to the shapes.
Update. I’ve been using this quite a bit over the last few days. I wish I could write on the page with my Apple Pencil. For example Note which gear, wheel, and pen number I’m using. But I cannot so I end up having to take photos and click in and out of the app multiple times. It’d be easier to be able to just makes notes within the app.
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Nathan Friend
- 111.6 MB
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 11.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2020 Nathan Friend
- In-App Purchases
- Everything $4.99
- Oval Gears $0.99
- Custom Pen Colors $0.99
- Triangle Gears $0.99
- Special Gears $0.99
- Custom Canvas Colors $0.99
- Airbrush Pens $0.99
- Pentagon Gears $0.99
- Square Gears $0.99