Inspiral creates breathtaking, geometric line drawings using a clever system of interlocking gears. You'll be delighted and surprised as complex, captivating designs emerge under your fingertips.
• No ads
• 150+ gears, including circles, ovals, triangles, squares, pentagons, rings, beams, and a variety of unusual shapes
• Drag gears to draw, or let auto-draw do it for you
• Large variety of pen styles
• Custom pen and canvas colors
• Rotate gears in-place tooth-by-tooth for precision drawing
• Select from over 5000 pen holes
• Zoom, pan, and rotate the canvas using intuitive multi-touch gestures
• Rotate and move the fixed gear, or lock it into place
• Snap fixed gear back to previous positions
• Infinite undo/redo
• Multiple canvas sizes
• Crop and rotate your masterpiece before saving or sharing
• In-app help documentation (also available online: https://inspiral.nathanfriend.io/help/)
• Added 27 new gear options
• Small usability improvements to undo/redo
• More precise gear touch detection
• Bug fixes
Ratings and Reviews
I used to play with Inspirograph all the time, and now it’s back and much, much better. There are more features than the website, and it’s just great. The best one is the automatic line drawing — you click a button and watch as the spiral completes one perfect circuit, which is super satisfying (although I wish I could make it go faster). I’d prefer if the “Tools” “Pen” and “Gears” buttons weren’t awkwardly oriented in Landscape Mode on iPad, but it’s not the end of the world. At least landscape mode is there! A redo option would be handy, too. It’s great that the app has full iPad support — it’s even more fun on iPad! It even works with Slide Over and Split View! I do notice though that when using Slide Over or Split View, I can’t seem to type in other applications if Inspiral is open. I just tried it while writing this review and yeah, it commandeers my keyboard. Totally worth the $5 in-app purchase to support this neat app! I’m going to have lots of fun and make some custom wallpapers with Inspiral! :)
Oh! One more feature request: it would be AWESOME to be able to select multiple pen holes at once, so you could see a whole pattern get drawn out all at once!!
Wonderful and Beautiful Gear Art designer
Having spent many hours and reams of paper with the plastic version decades ago, it is a delight to have a very complete and detailed digital version. From gear choices, pen/paper colors/sizes, tools for auto rotate and down to choosing which hole in a gear to use, I can’t think of anything left out. And no wasted paper, broken pens/pencils, broken gears (especially missing teeth).
This is far and away the best Spirograph-type app I’ve tried, both for ease of use and variety of gears (especially with the IAP). A particularly nice feature is that you can change the setting incrementally (forward or back) as well as wherever you like. The colors can be set at different transparencies for special effects.
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Nathan Friend
- 137.3 MB
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 9.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
- Age Rating
- © 2020 Nathan Friend
- In-App Purchases
- Everything $4.99
- Oval Gears $0.99
- Triangle Gears $0.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.