Updated Aug. 2020, science-based, most complete dietary & lifestyle guide for IC and its likely comorbidities. One of our most popular apps! (ICD-10=N30)
Choose This not That for Interstitial Cystitis (IC). Inside this colorful app, you will find easy to follow suggestions on how to improve your health through nutrition and the food choices you make every day. This app provides comprehensive and actionable nutrition guidelines for how to prevent and reduce your pain and manage symptoms of IC also known as Painful Bladder Syndrome. If you rather tackle health issues and risks through proper nutrition and lifestyle changes then this app is for you!
A number of features make this app so different and superior to others in the market:
• Is this food good for me? Answer to the common question about suitability of various food items for your personal situation, in an easy to understand and colorful graphic form.
• This publication is the only one in the market that offers dietary guidance for IC AND its combination with the following most likely health issues: anxiety, celiac disease, chronic fatigue syndrome, constipation, depression, fibromyalgia, headache, IBS, stress and Vitamin D deficiency. Also included is anti-inflammation diet.
• Top-5 items to do or eat, and the top-5 things to avoid.
• Recommendations on the best food choices within a food group, based on your personal profile. An extremely valuable tool when at restaurants or when grocery shopping. Over 850 food items are included.
• ACTIONABLE information on what is good, what is bad, and what is neutral for your condition(s). We single out specific food items, and give you an ordered list of helpful and harmful foods within each food group.
• Suggestions on appropriate life style choices, alternative therapies and herbal remedies, when such options are promising and available to you.
The content of this app is licensed from Personal Remedies, LLC. The primary sources used by Personal Remedies are US government sources such as USDA (US Department of Agriculture), NIH (National Institute of Health) agencies, and leading clinics & universities.
Personal Remedies is the publisher of the largest collection of health and nutrition apps for chronic conditions. Based in metro-Boston, home to the highest ranking healthcare providers and academic institutions in the world.
The information presented by this app is updated by our team as needed and on an ongoing basis. Updates happen seamlessly, and do NOT require frequent inconvenient downloads of a new version of the app.
“This technology was developed using the most current clinical evidence-based information that is available in the US. Behind this technology there is a team of expert clinicians, scientists, endocrinologists, oncologists, and other specialists who are passionate about bridging the gap between expert knowledge and the patient.“
Katya Tsaioun, PhD, Nutrition, Tufts University; L.D.N.
“Proper nutrition and other alternative treatments show great promise in preventing and treating many of the illnesses that we deal with every day. I encourage all my patients to follow appropriate nutrition and research other options for themselves. The Choose This Not That series are an excellent step towards improving people’s knowledge in this area.”
Shahin Tabatabaei, MD
Mass General Hospital; Harvard Medical School
“The Choose This Not That series of apps provide dietary recommendations focused on common chronic health problems. They are easy to understand and thus easy to implement into daily life. Most doctors would find it difficult to discuss dietary recommendations at the level of detail found in the series. They should serve as a valuable complement in helping people manage chronic illnesses through dietary and lifestyle modifications.”
Andrew S. Lenhardt, MD
Personalized Medicine, Well Life, Peabody, MA
This app has been updated by Apple to display the Apple Watch app icon.
Ratings and Reviews
Not enough food options
I’ve just downloaded but couldn’t find pecans under nuts and no wine rating under beverages. Will update review later. For the cost it should be MUCH better than similar apps.
Developer Response ,
You will find both Pecans and Wine listed under Detailed Nutrition Guide under Nuts & Seeds, and Desserts/Snacks/Beverages respectively, as not helpful to those suffering from IC. You can also search under Is This Good for Me feature which clearly shows that both food items need to be avoided. Under the Suggest feature they will not show up, because the app will not "suggest" an item that should be avoided. If any other issue, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org for quick response.
An exercise in frustration
Incredibly poor performance. The app is completely dependent on remote servers, and those servers are generally not working. If you want to spend a long time waiting for every little thing, finally just to be rewarded with a connection error, then this is the app for you.
Developer Response ,
So sorry that you had difficulties with access to the network. At times there can be temporary down time with our hosting companies such as when they upgrade their hardware or network, but it is very rare. Otherwise, as long as you have good internet connection the response time is immediate.
Can’t log in
This is a horrible app. Can’t log in. Takes forever to get to the screen to see Information
The developer, Personal Remedies, LLC, has not provided details about its privacy practices and handling of data to Apple.
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- Personal Remedies, LLC
- 1.5 MB
- Requires iOS 5.1.1 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 5.1.1 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 5.1.1 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
- Age Rating
- 12+ Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References Infrequent/Mild Medical/Treatment Information
- © 2018 Personal Remedies, LLC
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.