Tired of constantly adjusting your music's volume?
iVolume ensures that all your songs play at the same volume level.
iVolume calculates the volume perceived by the human ear for each song of your Apple Music (formerly known as iTunes) music collection. Thereby iVolume gets the most out of the approved Replay Gain algorithm and adjusts your songs accordingly.
* Master of the Genius: iVolume is the perfect companion for your Genius Mixes in Apple Music / iTunes. No longer adjust the volume for background music on parties. No longer dig your iPhone out of your pocket just to modify the music's volume. iVolume takes your music listening experience to a whole new level.
* Compatible With Your Digital Life: iVolume integrates seamlessly with Apple Music / iTunes on Mac and PC, iPod, iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, and AirPlay (aka AirTunes). Most popular audio file formats like MP3, AAC/M4A, AIFF, and Apple Lossless are supported.
* Blazingly Fast: iVolume takes advantage of newest technologies to fully utilize every core of modern multiprocessor machines for optimal performance.
* Avoids Unnecessary Work: iVolume remembers all results ever calculated. Apply changed adjustment settings without the need for re-analyzing your songs.
* Keeps Albums Intact: By using a sophisticated album detection algorithm iVolume optionally adjusts albums as a whole to keep the intention of the artist. This method is particularly suitable for adjusting gapless live albums.
* Highly Configurable: Create groups to apply individual fine tuned settings to any specified subset of your songs.
* Awesome Usability: All the features above are fun and incredibly easy to use through a modern and clear user interface.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Q: How exactly does iVolume adjust my songs?
A: iVolume effectively repairs the built-in 'Sound Check' function of Apple Music / iTunes. Information about the loudness is stored by Apple Music / iTunes in a tag named iTunNORM inside your songs. This information is used for playing a song a bit louder or softer at playback time whenever Sound Check is turned on. Apple Musics / iTunes' loudness analysis is very fast but unfortunately not very accurate so that Sound Check is not satisfying out-of-the-box. That's were iVolume comes into the game: iVolume re-analyzes every song with a professional algorithm that's oriented on the acoustic perception of the human ear and iVolume then permanently replaces the information in the iTunNORM tag of your songs with perfect values.
Q: Is there any loss in quality to my songs?
A: No. iVolume does not re-encode your songs. It just replaces the information in the iTunNORM tag with perfect values. This information is used at playback-time to play a song softer or louder whenever Sound Check is turned on.
Q: Do I need iVolume to play my songs?
A: No, you just let iVolume run once (or every time you've added new songs) over your library. Then you play your songs as usual with Apple Music / iTunes, your iPod, iPhone, iPad, or Apple TV. You just have to make sure to have Sound Check turned on in Apple Music / iTunes or on your playback device so that the adjustments made by iVolume take effect.
Q: Are copy protected AAC songs bought from the iTunes Store supported?
A: Songs purchased before mid 2009 from the iTunes Store may be DRM-protected (file extension .m4p). Unfortunately there is no way for applications to read raw sample data from copy protected songs. If this would be possible, it would not be a copy protection anymore. But to calculate the perceived loudness of a song, iVolume needs to read the sample data of that song.
So copy protected songs can not be automatically adjusted by iVolume. However you can still manually adjust them by hand.
In the meantime all songs offered by the iTunes Store are in DRM-free "iTunes Plus" format. Songs purchased in this format can be analyzed and adjusted fine with iVolume.
Rented songs (Apple Music) are DRM-protected, though.
• Compatibility with macOS Big Sur
• Runs natively on Macs with Apple Silicon processor
• Design improvements
• Performance and stability improvements
• The headphones attached to the main window can be turned off
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Works perfectly for me :)
There is a work around I came up with to get this working in Catalina. Use Google and search iVolume Catalina and you will find it.
If you are not into the technical side of things it may not be good for you.
THE DEVELOPER EMAILED ME THAT HE IS WORKING ON AN UPDATE FOR CATALINA.
It works great in Catalina once you you solve the XML issue. Did my entire library of 4600 tracks in 5 min.
Not perfect, but can be effective
FYI- My computer has the latest version of Apple Music and OSX Catalina. Scanning my entire library makes the program crash. I've realized all it takes is one song it doesn't like. As a workaround I use the program to scan specific playlists. If it crashes, I start scanning the playlist in smaller chunks until I can reduce it down to the problem song. From there I highlight the song, go to the file menu and select convert>create mp3 version. I then have to find the new version of the song it created and switch it out with the old one in the playlist. The new version will scan just fine. It can be tedious, but it is a workaround. So if you're looking for a one shot deal for your whole playlist, chances are it may not work. I've been happy with the results once I get rid of the all the buggy songs though.
Barely works on Catalina
I wish I had an alternative to this app. I'm only able to get it working if I reboot my Mac every time I want to launch it. My Mac keeps saying the app is damaged and to download it–but doing so makes no difference. Also, the screen that greets you when you launch it would lead you to believe that you need iTunes in able to run it. Not true. The developer does not appear to have taken the time and care to update and fix this app properly. We'll see if I get any responses to my support requests. I would love to see the bugs fixed and to redo my review.
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- Manfred Schwind
- 20 MB
- Requires macOS 10.9.0 or later.
English, Dutch, French, German, Japanese, Simplified Chinese, Spanish
- Age Rating
- © 2020 mani.de, Manfred Schwind
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.