iWriter Pro is elegant and minimalist text editor with built-in Markdown support. Distraction-free and subscription-free.
- Clean and minimal interface.
- iCloud¹ sync across Mac², iPad, and iPhone devices.
- Markdown syntax highlighting.
- Typewriter mode³.
- Focusing on line, sentence, or paragraph³.
- Markdown and MultiMarkdown preview.
- Integrated counters for words, chars, sentences, paragraphs.
- Powerful Document Browser with tags support.
- Fast and responsive editing⁴.
# iWriter Pro supports:
- Math equations and flowchart diagrams.
- Light and dark layouts (auto-switching included).
- Search and Replace within a document.
- Export text and Markdown previews to PDF, HTML, JPG, EPUB, and LaTeX.
- Keyboard shortcuts for formatting and navigating within text.
- Automatic indentation and list continuation.
- Multi-window layout on iPad. Text and preview on one screen.
- Inserting references to images.
- Customisable fonts and themes. User-installed fonts.
- TextExpander Touch.
¹ - iWriter Pro for Mac available as a separate purchase.
² - Typewriter and Focus modes available only on iPad.
³ - Editing files in Dropbox, Google Drive, and other 3d-party storage providers are not guaranteed.
⁴ - iWriter Pro is designed to be as easy as possible so it works with plain text files (like .txt and .md) with UTF-8 encoding.
# Editor Improvements:
• Headers, HR lines and other elements now use indented style.
• Additional alignment should increase readability and make your text look gorgeous.
# Font Management Improvements:
• Added support for System and System Mono fonts.
• You can increase & decrease the font size with simple shortcuts.
• Text editor indents now update automatically, based on font size.
# Bug Fixes:
• Fixed inconsistencies in cursor height.
• Code blocks now render with colour in Preview.
• Fixed alignment of indented blocks in Preview.
• Added highlight for inline links in angled brackets.
• Disabled "smart quotes" for Preview.
• HTML export option now automatically attaches CSS style.
• Fixed bugs in Todo lists.
# Other Changes:
• iWriter Pro 3.7 requires iOS 13.5 or higher.
• We are deprecating "Open Sans Mono" font. If you still need it, you can download and install a free "DejaVu Sans Mono" font from the Web.
If you like iWriter Pro please rate it in the App Store every time the update goes live. Your ratings and reviews help us deliver new updates!
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Simple, clean & fully functional
iWriter Pro is quite simply the best app on iOS in regards to distraction free writing. It's iCloud and Dropbox support as well as its document management abilities are fantastic and simple to use. There is no bloat here, just focused execution. I am very much looking forward to the OS X app.
Best text writer out there
I love this program. It’s a helluva markdown/text editor. I like how it is organized and set up. I use these distraction free programs to work on first drafts and sketch things out and this is a great program for that. I once used Ulysses to do this, but when they went to monthly subscriptions, I left them. Now I have iWriter Pro and am not looking back. It syncs well on iCloud (have not tried Dropbox) which is excellent for me as I am rarely home to work on the desktop and most often write on an iPad Pro.
I also like how the background color can change from the glaring white that so often burns the eyes. I use the sun choice.
This is an excellent program for what it does and I’m glad I found it.
I use this as my writing space
After I finish my session I ship off the writing to another app. Gives me the focus feature without costing me $30 like iA Writer, which I’m planing on getting but not now.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.