Japanese is the ultimate study companion for any Japanese language learner. Japanese is comprehensive, with over 175,000 dictionary entries and 58,000 example sentences, and fits perfectly in your pocket. It comes complete with references, flashcard study tools and all you need to master the Japanese language. Japanese runs offline, allowing you to learn on the go, wherever you go.
• Japanese’s search engine is unparalleled in its speed, returning the most relevant results for your search as you type.
• Search from over 175,000 words and 58,000 example sentences.
• Handwriting recognition: Write any kanji in any stroke order and have Japanese decipher and display the most likely kanji or kana.
• Conjugation Search: Search a word in any conjugation to get a complete dictionary entry for that word.
• Text Reader: Struggling with a website or text message? Input long text and see it translated into its constituent parts.
• Flashcards: Easy-to-use flashcard study with study reminders and social elements that allow you to share your lists with friends.
• Text-to-Speech: Learn a word’s pronunciation.
• JLPT: Tests aren’t everything. But for those seeking to master the JLPT, Japanese has dedicated study lists.
WORK WITH IT
• Intuitive user interface: Find the information you need, when you need it.
• Split View: Use Japanese simultaneously with other applications on your iPad or large screen Apple device with Split View.
• Custom Content: Create your own lists, labels, history, folders and notes to help organise your studies.
• Sharing: Share Lists with Family, Friends and Study Buddies via AirDrop, Messages or Email.
• Import: Easily import your data from other Japanese language learning apps such as Imiwa, Midori and Nihongo, Rikaichan.
• Backup & Restore: Never worry about loosing your data with Japanese’s in-app backup and restore features.
- Dark Mode (iOS 13)
- SKIP keyboard
- Options to turn off the flipping animation and to disable the colors on the flashcards
- Some more bugfixes
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
I've never felt compelled to write an app review before. It's a strange feeling. It's kinda like when a product's survey asks if I'd recommend the product to my friends and of course I say no. Like, why would I? The product is never that great. I found this app so incredibly helpful for learning Japanese that I've not only recommended it to my friends and family, but I'm also driven to recommend it to you. This dictionary is incredibly vast and has sections not only for learners, but also for fluent speakers. It's got basic kana, a massive section on Kanji, and a section on radicals. The vocabulary is sorted into lexical categories, specific topics, or simply assigned to the proper JLPT test rank. Each entry in the dictionary has valuable information for someone trying to learn, like sentence examples and a breakdown of every piece of the word or character. It's also got Kanji stroke order and verb conjugation. One helpful feature this app has is a way to create study decks of words or Kanji. When a entry is learned in a deck, the entry remembers it's been learned and doesn't show up as often as a non-learned entry. If that entry comes up in a later deck for whatever reason, it's still learned so you actually know how much of the deck you still have to learn. It's great! All in all, this app is fantastic and I highly recommend it.
This dictionary holds so much. It has vocabulary that is categorized by levels and the amount of ways to search things up is so efficient. Romanji, Kana, radical structures, even searching words by handwriting it works. It provides verbs with all the tenses and examples of how to use both vocab words and verbs. You can study words you add to a list and review with all the help you need. This app is extremely powerful and is a library of words for you to learn from N5-N1. It has Kanji Kentei and JLPT for you as well! I just wish it would update soon for IOS 11 so I can use the handwriting feature again since that crashes the app with IOS 11. (Searching the words and click on them has the scroll feature skewed a little with the word at the top too far up and you need to screen up to be able to see the word)
All I’d want more from this app is for it to update! It’s helped me so much and even some of my international transfer student friends in college use it to translate to english too!
Great app that I use all the time
As someone who is just past the beginner mark of Japanese learning, this app is spectacular for expanding my vocabulary! Great for searching for unknown kanji, too. It has so many tools and resources; I don’t know what I’d do without this app! It’s an invaluable dictionary, and the built in list function with selective spaced repetition is an awesome study tool.
I only have one suggestion that would make this app perfect for all of my needs! Is it possible to add an option in the study app so that it shows ONLY the kana of a word on the front side? As opposed to just kanji with or without furigana? I find it helps me learn vocabulary quicker and more thoroughly if I memorize the word first, THEN link it to the kanji it’s spelled with.
Thanks for making this wonderful app, I hope my feedback is helpful in some way :)
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.