• JDM Mobile available on iPad and iPhone
• Leverage wireless technology to update your avionics databases
• Integration with Bad Elf Wombat
Jeppesen Distribution Manager (JDM) Mobile combines the functionality of our desktop platforms with the convenience of a mobile app and enables new capabilities to improve the data update process. When connected to the portable Bad Elf Wombat device, aircraft operators can conveniently update avionics media using wireless technology at the aircraft’s site saving time and hassle. Download avionics databases to your mobile device anywhere you have internet or cellular access.
JDM Mobile Benefits:
• Reduces need to remove avionics database media from the aircraft, which saves time and reduces risk of damaging, forgetting or losing the essential hardware
• Reduces the need to purchase multiple backup media hardware, saving money
• Apple badge notification signals when data updates are available
• Ability to download databases direct to the iPhone/iPad
• Ability to transfer databases to removable media via the Bad Elf Wombat
• Filter services by phase of update (available to download, transfer to device)
• Filter services by aircraft tail and data type
• View service information by aircraft tail, including cycle information and charts serial number
• Ability to queue up all service downloads to the iPad using the “Download All” feature
• Date stamp of last successful transfer to media by service
• Links to important Jeppesen web pages and documents
• Access to help guide and videos within the app
• View account information (customer name and account number)
Note 1: You must have an active Jeppesen subscription in order to log into the application and access data updates.
Note 2: Worldwide Charts need approximately 2.5 GB of free space to complete the download. High resolution Terrain needs approximately 10 gigabytes of free space to complete the download.
• Avidyne Downloads based on Tail Number
• Revised Data Labels for all cyclic services
Ratings and Reviews
Great Potential……But Needs One Improvement
The JDM Mobile app mimics the excellent desktop (Windows) version of JDM very well, and is intuitive and straightforward to use. Downloading database updates to my iPad Pro is fast and easy. I don’t have a Bad Elf Wombat (in fact they are unavailable to buy right now), so I can’t do the transfer to a memory card for updating my Cirrus SR22 avionics. I currently use the JDM Windows version to keep my avionics updated. I tried this Mobile version to see what might be possible when I travel without my laptop (which I use to run the JDM Windows version and transfer update files to an SD card). This brings me to the One Improvement Opportunity: if the JDM Mobile version could directly write the database update files to an SD card that is attached to an iPad, then the update process would be quick, easy and not require another device (i.e Wombat). Attaching an SD card to an iPad is very easy, requiring only a simple plug-in adapter. This would be an elegant solution, and seems “doable” given that the JDM Mobile app is already “sending” the update files via Wi-Fi to a memory card inserted into the Wombat as part of the current process. I know direct Wi-Fi updating of avionics is available in some cases (e.g. using Garmin Pilot Concierge), but it is not robust enough and fast enough, particularly for large update files. As a result, the use of memory cards will be with us for some time. Making it possible to use memory cards directly with JDM Mobile would be a great improvement!
What’s the point?
Bad-Elf Wombat has been sold out for a while and there’s no indication of if or when it will ever be sold again. Why can’t Jeppesen update the app to support direct connection through USB instead of requiring an unavailable third party product? All new iPad Air, Pro, Mini models come with USB C ports which would only need a simple adapter.
Still can’t write directly to an SD card
As others have said his app can’t write directly to an sd card attached to an iPad. Seems like it should be an easy feature to add. The only thing this app supports is the Bad Elf Wombat. I reached out to them and they don’t have a manufacturer.
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- 146.4 MB
- Requires iOS 13.1 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 13.1 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 13.1 or later.
- Age Rating
- Copyright © 2022 Jeppesen. All rights reserved