Ulysses: one of the greatest books ever written, and one of the most challenging.
JOYCE’S ULYSSES: A GUIDE opens the door to this 20th-century classic. At the core of the app is the unabridged text with 800 annotations. Encountered a difficulty? Just tap for an explanation!
The award-winning abridged recording of Ulysses by Jim Norton and Marcella Riordan is also contained within, as are recordings of various songs and arias mentioned in the book.
Background material includes the complete text of Homer’s Odyssey, in the new translation by Ian Johnston, alongside an article explaining Ulysses’ connection to it; a biography of Joyce; and articles on the novel’s turbulent publishing history, its translated editions, and the worldwide scholarly industry that has arisen around it.
This is the perfect vehicle for getting to grips with Ulysses: anybody can now demystify ‘the ineluctable modality of the visible’ and delve into the delights of this outstanding work.
· Unabridged text with 800 individual annotations immediately accessible.
· Abridged, award-winning recording read by Jim Norton and Marcella Riordan: the perfect introduction to the work.
· Abridged text, also with individual annotations; can be read while listening.
· Introduction to the novel by Joyce scholar Derek Attridge.
· Background on James Joyce and the publishing history of Ulysses.
· Recording of a live talk – ‘James Joyce’s Women’ – given at the Oxford Literary Festival.
· Many extracts of music mentioned in Ulysses, from Mozart to traditional Irish ballads.
· Complete text of Homer’s Odyssey in the new verse translation by Ian Johnston.
· Further Reading.
· Photographs of Joyce and of Dublin landmarks.
Added support for 64 bit devices.
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Nice Idea, but difficult to use
It has a clean appearance and appears to have much useful data. But if you close the app, you cannot return to where you left off. And even though there is a button for “Bookmark”, that you cannot do.
crap app, terrible annotations, don't buy, waste of cash
Joyce’s Ulysses: A Guide
This could have been a great app. Some of the supplementary materials are useful and interesting, but the app as a whole is poorly executed and disappointing in a number of ways:
* Navigation facilities are poor. Text is divided into three sections (Part I, Part II, Part III). There is no Table of Contents or any way to navigate to individual chapters (Proteus, Laestrygonians, Ithaca, etc.). It would have been useful at least for the chapter listings in the “Schema” to link to the corresponding chapters in the text.
* Chapters are not even labeled or titled within the text itself, just separated with an unobtrusive marker (**), so there is no way to jump directly to them even with the search facility. The only way to navigate to a desired chapter is by laborious scrolling, particularly annoying within Part II, which makes up the bulk of the book (12 chapters).
* Search is limited to only the currently displayed “part,” so there is no way to do a search either on the full text or within a single target chapter. The search box doesn’t even have a clear (“x”) button for quickly clearing the field to begin a new search.
* Text display doesn’t remember previous scroll position, so after navigating away to one of the other features (Schema, Character List, etc.), on returning to the text you have to scroll back by hand (or search) to where you were before.
* Text can only be viewed in landscape orientation; no portrait available.
* No way to add highlighting or personalized annotations beyond the ones already built in.
* Like home without Plumtree’s Potted Meat, the Character List is incomplete. Many minor characters (e. g., Nosey Flynn, Paddy Leonard) are missing, some are misspelled (“Lenehen” for Lenehan).
* A map of 1904 Dublin with Bloom’s and Stephen’s routes would have been a useful (and obvious) addition, but not included.
Too bad. This could have been a much better app than it actually is.
- Naxos Global Distribution Ltd
- 201.1 MB
Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPad.
- Age Rating
- Infrequent/Mild Mature/Suggestive Themes
- Infrequent/Mild Profanity or Crude Humor
- © Naxos Digital Services Ltd.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.