Kana LS Touch is an App for learning Hiragana and Katakana. It utilizes the unique touch interface to intuitively teach you how to draw the Hiragana and Katakana characters by displaying strokeorder guidelines.
- all Hiragana and Katakana Characters:
- Basic Hiragana/Katana
- Dakuten, Handakuten, Yōon Kana
- extended Katakana
- Strokeorder guidelines for all Kana
- Sounds for all Character
- many sample words (all words have Kana, Romaji, english, german & french translation)
- numerous ways to select the kana you want to train:
- just Hiragana, just Katakana or both together
- custom selection (Kana selected via the browser)
- Range of Kana (e.g. Kana 10 till Kana 30)
- 2 Testmodes:
- Direct Input (drawing or keyboard)
- Multiple Choice
- 4 Testtypes:
- Romaji -> Kana
- Kana -> Romaji
- Word -> missing Kana
- Sound -> Kana
- overview of all Hiragana/Katakana character
- select specific character for a custom selection you want to train
- Practice mode (for learning how to draw the Kana)
- practice and testing with 2 fonts (HANDWRITING FONT & system font)
- Backup & Sync between devices via iCloud
- Learning with the Leitner system (SRS)
- application fully localized in English, German, French
for more information/videos/screenshots/handbook:
If you like this application check out:
KANJI LS TOUCH
JAPANESE LS TOUCH
If you find a bug in the software please send me an email [jan(a)asia-ls.com] with as many information as possible so I can try to reproduce and fix it:
- device & firmware
- what did you do step by step
- settings (current set, test mode, Leitner active...)
- does it happen always/sometime/once
This app uses Icons form icon8 (https://icons8.com/license/)
- minor bugfixes
Ratings and Reviews
Fantastic learning tool
This is a fantastic learning tool. I would enthusiastically recommend it to any student of Japanese. This also goes for its companion, Kanji LS.
I do have a few issues with it, though. Firstly, it has crashed on me a few times. I'm not sure what the cause is. Considering how frequently I use it, the amount of crashes is rare enough not to bother me too much.
Secondly, the user interface could use some tweaking. My biggest gripe is how the top "bar" of the screen you draw your kana on eats up valuable screen real estate. I often start drawing a downward stroke, but it doesn't appear because I was too close to that top bar. Worse, the "solve" button is in the upper right corner on that bar. If I get to close to it when drawing my "ten ten", I prematurely trigger the solution screen for that kana. I really wish the controls in the top bar could be moved to the bottom bar where I think this wouldn't be as much of an issue.
Switching test modes is awkward and selecting ranges of kana to study is also a bit tedious (you have to type in the kana numbers).
Despite these issues, I absolutely love this app. It was worth every penny.
A well-designed and -implemented app
I am enjoying my initial experience having just drilled my 1st ten characters. There is a bit of a learning curve in understanding all the functionalities available. It's not entirely clear within the app what certain settings are for, however to the developer's credit there is excellent documentation at the provided link in the info section. Overall it provides a powerful approach to learning the Japanese characters.
A few things I'd appreciate:
- mixed test mode where it varies the question formats to stimulate learning in different ways and to keep things fresh
- intelligent adding of characters to practice then test sessions as one's test results improve (as it stands one must manually set which characters to work on)
Developer Response ,
Please try the 先生 mode. Here the App automatically choses the characters based on your learning progress.
Great App, Wonderful Support!😀
After running into a few major issues one of the developer's other apps (which ended up being the fault of my device ) and emailing the developer I received immediate support. This app itself is smooth, simple, and fantastic for learning to write the kana. The app is all about utility and it performs! There is a huge amount of content and many ways to test yourself and learn. The most unique and helpful feature that it offers is the ability to grade your own writing and stroke order in a step by step manner. There is no automatic writing detector to be picky and mark you wrong because the angle was "slightly off". This app makes studying and learning Japanese a breeze! It is an absolute must have for any learner! Thank you Jan for bringing this helpful tool to life! I don't have a single regret in purchasing this app and it's upgrade!
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.