Kanji Teacher - Learn Japanese 4+
Kanji, Hiragana and Katakana
Designed for iPad
R.: »The best kanji app available.«
B.: »Carefully crafted app. Very nice done.«
S.: »I'm using this app every day, it's addicting. I have tried a lot of other apps, but this one I love!.«
K.: »A blessing to those wanting to master Japanese reading and writing.«
P.: »This is the best kanji learning app in the App Stores.«
Kanji Teacher is free. There's no advertising and no in-app purchases are necessary – it's just free, pure and simple.
Kanji Teacher knows not only all the 2,136 jōyō kanjis and their readings, but also the 8,000 most common Japanese words and how to pronounce them. This unique combination enables you to learn the Kun- and On-readings of the kanjis and apply and test what you have learnt straight away: both how to read a word and how to write a word you know.
Kanji Teacher has more features you'll love:
○ Practise your writing with Kanji Teacher! Every stroke is analysed: do the position, direction and order match up with the correct way of writing? Kanji Teacher helps you out with hints to begin with, but as you progress further you’ll be on your own.
○ Kanji Teacher is also a Kana teacher: learn how to read and write Hiragana and Katakana.
○ Kanji Teacher comes with two dedicated tutors – one for Kana and one for Kanji. These tutors will accompany you through the entire learning process, explain Kanji Teacher, introduce new characters, present the tests and celebrate achievements.
○ Kanji Teacher uses multiple choice so you can be sure that you really do know the answer. And it also compiles the possible answers intelligently, ensuring that they all make sense and are similar to the correct answer, because Kanji Teacher is a teacher after all – it's strict, but this helps you learn more quickly.
○ Kanji Teacher uses a Leitner system so you can learn easy kanjis quickly and focus on the more difficult ones.
○ Kanji Teacher comes with around 6,000 sample sentences: Around 8,000 tests have been created based on these sentences, where the corresponding Kanji is omitted and has to be found. In addition you will find tests for 127 important geographical locations in Japan and over 1,300 Japanese first names and surnames together with their reading.
○ Kanjis can be grouped by JLPT level and school year and, most importantly, you can switch between both views without losing what you have already done.
○ Up to eight learning lists can be managed, searched, and the Kanas, Kanjis and radicals assigned. Additionally, Kanjis detailed in sections of popular textbooks and Kanken test groups can be assigned to one of these lists.
○ You can choose the correct answer, check it and move on to the next question with just one touch of the screen, which speeds up your learning and progress.
○ Kanji Teacher comes with Ulrike's Mnemonics, which were provided by Joy o' Kanji,a site where you can find playful, informative, photo-filled essays about each of the 2,136 Joyo Kanji.
○ Learning of radicals is supported in many different ways: with dedicated tests and an Analyze screen that shows which Kanjis are made up of them.
Besides some bugfixes two important new settings have been added.
○ Show answer: OFF (previous behavior), WRONG (new default), ALL
With this new setting you can control if the answer buttons show what they actually mean after answering the question. With WRONG this only happens if the answer was incorrect, and only the incorrect answer is revealed. With ALL it happens always and for all buttons.
○ Auto proceed: OFF, CORRECT (new default), ALWAYS (previous behavior)
This setting defines whether the next test is automatically presented when you release the answer button - or you have to press NEXT (or anywhere on the answers) to continue. Auto proceed helps you to learn faster: with CORRECT it happens if the answer is right, but in case of an incorrect answer you can look at the correct answer calmly and then continue. With ALWAYS it happens even in case of an incorrect answer. One behavior remains the same: As long as your finger is on the answer button or SKIP, the answer remains displayed, only when you release it "Auto proceed" becomes active.
The new default differs from the previous behavior, but you can simply set it back to the way it was before using the settings "Show answer: OFF" and "Auto proceed: ALWAYS".
Many thanks to Gabriel, Soshun and Goccia!
Ratings and Reviews
This is a great app that has already been extremely helpful to me only after using it for a few days.
I would like to make one suggestion though. Like thousands of other people I’m learning Japanese via Duolingo, and Kanji Teacher is particularly helpful in overcoming one of the biggest drawbacks with that platform, especially in regards to Japanese (and probably Mandarin), namely the inability to practice writing kanjis & hiragana/katakana.
However it seems that not all kanjis used in the duolingo curriculum are present in Kanji Teacher - or maybe they are, but sometimes under different keywords and hence very hard to find. It would be tremendously beneficial to double-check and make sure that the dictionary supports those kanjis so that a Duolingo student can integrate writing practice as they go along. As I said, some are already present, but unfortunately many seem not to be.
Obviously I have no way of knowing how much effort it would be to make this happen, especially given that KT is a free program, but I think it would make for a perfect companion app to go with DLs massive platform.
Developer Response ,
Thank you very much for your feedback! Could you give me a hint, what Kanjis from Duolingo are missing? A brief mail to email@example.com would be great! Thank you!
Amazing FREE app
This app does something similar to Kanji Garden (and many others that are more limited) but for free!
It has a ton of kanji, writing practice, reading and meaning tests and spaced repetition.
My only problem with it is that there's no way to deactivate the very disorienting wobbly animation for strokes in writing practice. There really should be an option to deactivate the stroke autocorrect or at least an option to make it happen only after you finish, since it can end up creating bad writing habits due to the motor/visual feedback mismatch. I'm aware that in practice mode you can see how you're writing but then it doesn't tell you if you did it well or not, so I'd rather be able to see what I'm doing on tests as I write, and not have to click a button to see how terrible my handwriting actually is.
Developer Response ,
Thank you for your feedback!
I will try to implement you suggestion and add a settings for this.
It’s okay, but hardly useful
I’ve already written to support for this app for a major problem I have, but I’m not entirely sure it’ll be fixed. The other issues come down to how the writing test is implemented, which is part of the reason why I’m rating this so low. Now, I will give at least some leeway with the device screen being so small, but the other problem (the one I contacted support about) is on my device the exercises take up even LESS room somehow than they do in the screenshots shown making them even more infuriatingly harder than they should be. It’s already hard to draw precise lines on a device you’re holding in your hands; next to impossible when the area you have to draw in is about an inch in size and your finger takes up most of that space already.
The multiple choice questions for the reading/keyword quizzes aren’t as bad, but they still suffer a bit from the lack of space since the answer boxes are super tiny.
I’d honestly rather just use the multiple other flashcard apps and find writing sheets online rather than use this. It isn’t fun or interesting, it doesn’t add anything I can’t get anywhere else and it clearly isn’t formatted for my device (and it isn’t even a new large device either; I’m using an iPod touch 6th gen)
Developer Response ,
It seems you have activated the „Apple Pencil Support“, in this mode for iPad and Pencil the test and writing area is smaller and located on the side of the screen.
Please change your settings:
Writing > Pencil Support > Off
Then the writing area will become normal. I think I will hide this options on iPhones with a next release, it is not very user friendly… Sorry.
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- Christian Rusche
- 58.8 MB
- Requires iOS 9 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 9 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 9 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2020 Christian Rusche