KanjiBox is an offline Japanese studying application. It provides an efficient yet fun way to practice all aspects of Japanese (kana, kanji, vocab, reading, writing...) through drills, quizzes and flash cards, while providing engaging feedback through progress charts, scores and game-like "achievements" for each Japanese level.
KanjiDraw and KanaDraw add-ons harvest the full power of your device's touchscreen to guide you through proper Japanese handwriting, while detailed animated cards tell you everything you need to know on each kanji.
KanjiBox is particularly well suited for standardized test preparation (JLPT, Kanji Kentei, Ninja Academy etc.) but works great as a personal study tool too.
(check the link, below, for a video showing some of the features in action)
• Six training levels: JLPT N5 to JLPT N1, plus an extra "Sensei" level.
• Adaptative learning: focuses on your weak points and uses spaced repetition (SRS) techniques to help you learn faster.
• Live stats: let you measure your current level and gauge your progress.
• Online scoreboards and GameCenter achievements: compete globally against all KanjiBox users!
• Additional modules help you train your handwriting on kana and kanji using the touchscreen.
• Custom Study Sets let you pick your own set of vocabulary words or kanji to focus on.
• Over 6,000 kanji.
• Over 34,000 vocabulary words.
• Hiragana and katakana.
• Drill mode helps you train on kanji, vocabulary, word reading and kana.
• Quiz mode lets you log high scores and compete against friends.
• Study mode gives you customisable sets of flashcards.
Fixing start-up crashes…
Ratings and Reviews
Great App. Please add kanji sets by grade level too
Really great app. No frills but solid functionality. It allows you to drill kanji, vocab, readings, etc. A nice surprise for me has been the KanjiDraw add-on. Forcing yourself to recall (rather than just recognize) kanji really reinforces the learnings. You’re forced to notice minute details between kanji as well as the actual radicals and components themselves. And the writing hints decrease as you get a kanji repeatedly right.
Only thing I wish is that the kanji were also natively grouped by grade level rather than just JLPT level. I would love to be able to learn a set of kanji by each grade level without having to create a custom set. There doesn’t seem to be any shared sets that group them like this either.
Replaces all your other apps
Seriously, this app is like replacing every other app you currently have/use for learning Japanese besides maybe HumanJapanese and JapaneseApp (dictionary). You won't need Anki, Skritter, Memrise, Duolingo, Bunpo, Drops, StickyStudy, WaniKani, Goi, MindSnacks, iKnow!, iKanji, Scribe, or any other app that claims to teach Japanese.
It does nearly everything, does it well, and it does it without a subscription! Only things missing are a proper dictionary so get Japanese App, and some simple early explanations, so get Human Japanese.
Treat youself to the best Japanese learning app there is!!
Kanji study is fun
Briefly, this app on both iPad and iPhone has helped me learn more kanji than the laundry list of other apps and books that I've purchased. I like the new additions. I look forward to watching this app grow. KanjiDraw and KanaDraw are easily worth the money as are the new grammar sets. My only small niggle is that the design could use a touch up, but that is literally only cosmetic. The core is what counts and that's quite good.
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Dave duVerle
- 141.1 MB
- Requires iOS 16.2 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 16.2 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 16.2 or later.
- Requires macOS 13.1 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip or later.
English, French, German, Japanese, Spanish
- Age Rating
- 9+ Infrequent/Mild Profanity or Crude Humor
- © 2023 Dave duVerle
- In-App Purchases
- KanjiDraw $0.99
- KanaDraw $0.99
- Grammar - Beginner I: Particles $0.99
- Grammar - Intermediate I $0.99
- Advanced I: ところ＋に,で,へ,を... $0.99
- Grammar - Beginner II: Where? When? $0.99
- Grammar - Beginner III: 後, 前, 上, 下... $0.99
- Vocab N5 Nouns (pt. 1) $0.99
Challenge friends and check leaderboards and achievements.