Do you feel stressed, anxious or unfocused? Do you have trouble falling asleep? A simple paced breathing exercise can help you in a few minutes.
Let Kardia guide your breath with sounds and the calm movement of the sphere. Feel your body and mind relax, and your heart rate vary in harmony with your breath. This powerful and simple exercise is accessible to everyone, including kids.
- Stress relief
- Calm down anxiety attacks
- Cardiac coherence
- Sleep aid: fight insomnia by focusing on slow breathing
- Deep relaxation
- Meditation sessions and sophrology exercises
- Concentration improvement
- Breathing rate between 5 and 7 cycles/min, with inhalation-exhalation ratio setting
- Exercise duration between 1 minute and 1 hour.
- Usable without looking at the screen thanks to guiding sounds
During ten days, try those exclusive features for free:
- Large choice of high quality relaxing sound sets
- Breathing rate between 1 and 15 cycles/min
- Target mode, allows to slow down or speed up breathing rate during the session
- Advanced mode, with 0.1s precision on inhalation and exhalation durations
Unlock all those features with a single in-app purchase.
HRV, PACED BREATHING AND CARDIAC COHERENCE
With Kardia, you can practice heart rate variability (HRV) training through paced breathing. By breathing at a specific rate, around 5.5 cycles/min, your HRV increases and becomes regular. This state is known as cardiac coherence, or cardio-respiratory coherence. Many scientific studies have demonstrated that it has beneficial effects on stress and anxiety level, blood pressure, depression and sleep.
The best breathing rate is different for everyone. With Kardia, you can set very precisely the exercise frequency, so you will just need a few tries to find out the value that gives you the best results.
- Target mode and Advanced mode are now part of Kardia's free features, with the ability for everyone to set the breathing rate between 1 and 15 cycles per minute.
- The application's customization settings (sounds, display, vibrations) are accessible through the in-app purchase.
- If you have not made the in-app purchase yet, you have another 10 days to try out all the features of the App.
New features and improvements:
- You can now change the background color
- Full-screen display option: follow your exercise in the dark using the light projected by the screen on the walls and ceiling
- Vibration option: the device vibrates once at the end of each inhalation and exhalation, and three times at the end of the session
- Visual cues option: two circles indicate the minimum and maximum size of the sphere, making it easier to locate oneself in the breathing cycle
- Lock screen function allows to practice with your phone in your pocket
- A warning is displayed when the app is launched with the device in Silent Mode
- Improved layout of the user interface on iPhone X, XS and XR
- The three application modes are now accessible from a single button on the main screen
Ratings and Reviews
Instant stress relief. Better than drugs. The effects are quite noticeable, it's easy to do and it only takes a few minutes so be sure to run the whole cycle to fully experience the benefits. In times of stress I can simply open this app and touch "play," thanks to the beautifully simple design. My body needed one or maybe two breaths to get comfortable with the rhythm at the very beginning, but what has followed ever since then is bliss. Just inhale and exhale in time with the dot and music as it expands and contracts. Your brain will do the rest.
Non-tech pro experience
I like some elements of the simplicity of the app and sounds. The instructions to change periods of breath/cycle lengths sounded simple enough, but in initial use found it felt quite awkward to use. It would waaaay simpler for me (not tech pro) to be able to change all settings for various elements in the options/settings in one area than swiping up or down on the separate home screen...Everything located in one easy to use obvious area would make it “keep it simple stupid” across the board. Otherwise great straight to the point useful app :)
Developer Response ,
Thanks for your advice. I've designed Kardia breathing controls so as not to interrupt the "flow" of the session in case you need to adjust the duration or rate while practicing, which resulted in a minimalistic, menu-less user interface that many users appreciate. However I acknowledge that this choice is not the best for everyone. I plan to add a more standard control scheme that will allow to set parameters with sliders instead of swipe gestures.
Biofeedback (cardiac coherence)
I went to a biofeedback doctor and practiced cardiac coherence using games. I was surprised to find many of the “meditation” apps don’t have the simple feature of breathing rates that has been scientifically proven to help with anxiety. This app doesn’t pop up on the top search lists but I found it the best and most simple for breathing at the rate my doctor found was best for me 4.5 cycles/min.
- Olivier Tache
- 72.3 MB
- Health & Fitness
Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2015-2019 Olivier Tache
- In-App Purchases
- Unlock Kardia $0.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.