Boost sentence level comprehension and the ability to follow directions with Keyword Understanding.
“This app is great for children with processing difficulties which need to improve their ability to follow directions with a variety of embedded concepts.” ~ Smart Speech Therapy blog
“Every child I have used it with has been very engaged by the lovely, brightly-colored pictures, and has quite happily kept on listening and following the instructions.” ~ Speech Blog UK
“It can be used for informal assessments, language therapy and home practice. It can also be used to target auditory attention and working memory for cognitive-communication goals.” ~ Speaking of Apps blog
Keyword Understanding is a professional speech and language therapy app that targets the ability to understand sentences and follow spoken and written directions of increasing difficulty.
Children and adults are asked to follow directions in their everyday lives. In order to follow directions, the child or adult requires a strong knowledge of vocabulary, basic concepts and the ability to process and retain the information they have listened to or read.
WHO IS KEYWORD UNDERSTANDING FOR?
- Speech language pathologists / Speech and language therapists
- Children with reduced attention and listening comprehension or auditory processing difficulties
- Children with receptive language delay, developmental language delay or autism
- Adults with mild to moderate aphasia due to stroke or traumatic brain injury
- Adults with cognitive-communication difficulties due to stroke or traumatic brain injury
WHAT COMPREHENSION ACTIVITIES ARE INCLUDED IN KEYWORD UNDERSTANDING?
Comprehension Check: This activity helps you identify where comprehension breaks down. It checks the understanding of individual vocabulary items, and the basic concepts of size and color.
Object, Size & Color: This activity works on the understanding of the basic concepts of size and color as well as the ability to follow one and two-step directions of increasing difficulty.
2 keyword level: Touch the green car
3 keyword level: Touch the big red mug
4 keyword level: Touch the green vase and the yellow cushion
6 keyword level: Touch the small pink gloves and the big blue comb
Before & After: This activity works on the ability to understand and follow temporal directions (directions which include the concepts before/after in a variety of positions in the sentence).
“Before you touch the t-shirt, touch the phone”
“After you touch the lamp, touch the vase”,
“Touch the flower before you touch the box”,
“Touch the sock after you touch the bucket”.
First & Then: This activity works on the ability to understand and follow sequential directions (directions which include the concepts first/then in the sentence).
“First touch the ladder, then touch the bike”.
WHAT LANGUAGE & COGNITIVE SKILLS DOES KEYWORD UNDERSTANDING TARGET?
- Listening / Auditory Comprehension
- Reading Comprehension
- Working Memory
- Attention to Detail
- Language Processing
- Basic Concepts / Adjectives (size, color)
- Temporal Directions (Before/After)
- Sequential Directions (First… Then)
- Listening/ Auditory Only: Match the spoken direction to the picture(s)
- Reading Only: Match the written direction to the picture(s)
- Listening and Reading: Match the spoken and written directions to the picture(s)
Keyword Understanding lets you:
- Choose from a variety of vocabulary items in different sizes and five different colors allowing for thousands of following directions tasks
- Follow directions of increasing difficulty and length
- Add individual user profiles
- Automatically track correct and incorrect responses of each user
- Email a detailed result summary after a session or at a later date
- Receive audio feedback for correct answers only, incorrect answers only or both
All Aptus Speech Therapy apps participate in the 50% off Volume Purchase Program.
Visit our website for more details about our other speech and language therapy apps.
- A brand new look and user interface
- Addition of user profiles and result history
- UK, Irish and Australian voices in addition to US (automatically selected based on Region settings on your device)
Ratings and Reviews
Not what I was looking for
I bought this for my grandmother who had a stroke and suffers from aphasia. The photos are terrible and not easily recognizable, and what’s even worse is that the voice that talks sounds like Stephen Hawking on Speed talking through a pillow. My grandmother has no idea what this is supposed to do...I can’t even understand it. I paid $50 for the whole suite and feel totally gypped. Hoping for a refund, as this could have been better spent on something effective for her recovery.
Developer Response ,
Dear Mateo, We just noted your review and we are very sorry that you have had problems with Keyword Understanding. The app uses the voice downloaded on your iPad so if you download an enhanced US voice it will use that voice which is of very good quality. The speed of the voice can be adjusted in-app. The app has spoken and written directions. The photos are all of real objects and they are of different colours. The info screen provides more information about each activity. I am not sure what aspect you did not understand but would be happy to answer any questions you might have about the activities and their purpose. Please email me anytime email@example.com
App won't load. Just wasted $9.99. Should test product better before charging or better offer "free" or "lite" version to begin. Have had good luck w/ Aptus apps in the past, so I went for it even though it wasn't reviewed. Very disappointed. Expected better.
Developer Response ,
Hello, very sorry to hear you had trouble with the app. Apple now allow developers to reply to AppStore comments hence the reply albeit a late one. Not sure what the issue was at the time. However Keyword Understanding should download without any problems for you now. Please let us know if you still have trouble. firstname.lastname@example.org
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- Aptus Speech and Language Therapy Limited
- 187.6 MB
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 11.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
- Age Rating
- © Aptus Speech & Language Therapy
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.