Updated Aug. 2020, science-based dietary guide to reduce risk, prevent and combat Calcium Oxalate Kidney Stones, causes & complications. (ICD-10=N20)
Choose This not That for Kidney Stones (Oxalate). Inside this colorful app, you will find easy to follow suggestions on how to improve your health through nutrition and the food choices you make every day. This app provides comprehensive and actionable nutrition guidelines for how to prevent and combat calcium oxalate kidney stones. If you rather tackle health issues and risks through proper nutrition and lifestyle changes then this app is for you! Last data update: June 2017.
A number of powerful, unique and interactive features make this app so different and superior to others in the market:
• Is this food good for me? This feature answers the common question about suitability of various food items for your personal situation. And it does so in an easy to understand and colorful graphic form.
• Health issues often come our way in groups of two or more. They are often caused by other health complications or result in other illnesses and risks. It is for that reason, that we have included separate guidelines for those who might be at risk with any of the following common conditions along with kidney stones: Crohn’s disease, diabetes type 2, diarrhea, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, HIV/AIDS, irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), obesity, stress, and urinary tract infection (UTI).
• Top-5 recommendations on what to eat/do, and what not to.
• Food Suggestions. The best food choices within a food group, based on your personal profile. An extremely valuable tool when at restaurants or when grocery shopping. Also included are suggestions on appropriate life style choices, alternative therapies and herbal remedies, when such options are promising and available to you.
• ACTIONABLE information on what is good, what is bad, and what is neutral for your condition(s). We single out specific food items, and give you an ordered list of helpful and harmful foods within each food group.
Suggestions presented in this app are based on the content licensed from Personal Remedies, LLC. The primary sources used by Personal Remedies are US government sources such as USDA (US Department of Agriculture), NIH (National Institute of Health) agencies, and leading clinics & universities.
Personal Remedies is the publisher of the largest collection of health and nutrition apps for chronic conditions in the market. It is based in metro-Boston, home to the highest ranking healthcare providers and academic institutions in the world.
This app is updated by our team on an ongoing basis. Updates happen seamlessly, and do NOT require frequent inconvenient downloads.
“This technology was developed using the most current clinical evidence-based information that is available in the US. Behind this technology there is a team of expert clinicians, scientists, endocrinologists, oncologists, and other specialists who are passionate about bridging the gap between expert knowledge and the patient.“
Katya Tsaioun, PhD, Nutrition, Tufts University; L.D.N.
“Proper nutrition and other alternative treatments show great promise in preventing and treating many of the illnesses that we deal with every day. I encourage all my patients to follow appropriate nutrition and research other options for themselves. The Choose This Not That series are an excellent step towards improving people’s knowledge in this area.”
Shahin Tabatabaei, MD
Mass General Hospital (Urology); Harvard Medical School
“The Choose This Not That series of apps provide dietary recommendations focused on common chronic health problems. They are easy to understand and thus easy to implement into daily life. Most doctors would find it difficult to discuss dietary recommendations at the level of detail found in the series. They should serve as a valuable complement in helping people manage chronic illnesses through dietary and lifestyle modifications.”
Andrew S. Lenhardt, MD
Lahey Clinic, Hamilton, MA
This app has been updated by Apple to use the latest Apple signing certificate.
Data last updated in Feb. 2018. We made significant updates to the content and functionality of the app in June 2017.
Ratings and Reviews
Horrible app! It’s a fantasy, don’t to it.
Not much of a food database. Most of the things I looked up were not on there. The things that were on there are things pretty much no one eats on a daily basis... pheasant and liver was on there but nothing about chicken. I couldn’t even find banana bread which is super basic. This also do not track anything you eat either. I can do so much more for free with a google print out of a low oxalate diary and a notebook for a good journal.
Developer Response ,
Thank you for your feedback. For the benefit of others, we need to clarify few things. The app contains an extensive list for common food items and as you noted even food items that are uncommon. For the record, it contains all the following items related to chicken: breast, dark meat, wings, nuggets, liver, giblet, broth, stock, chicken noodle soup, bone broth, heart, skin, fat and chicken frankfurters. In addition there are seven chicken recipes. It also includes banana bread. I am sorry that somehow you were unable to find these items. Using the "Is this good for me" if you just search for the word "chicken" or "banana" you would see all of the above. Finally, in addition to oxalate, there are twenty other nutrients (e.g., calcium, caffeine, fiber, Vitamin C) that play a role (good or bad) in your diet related to calcium-oxalate kidney stones. Our app takes all of these nutrients into account. Just tracking your oxalate intake, may not be an adequate measure.
Can not get the app to work. It will not let me set a user name and password. Freezes on that page.
I would like a refund
This app is incorrect, has misinformation, and is useless. You should be ashamed for marketing this!
The developer, Personal Remedies, LLC, has not provided details about its privacy practices and handling of data to Apple.
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- Personal Remedies, LLC
- 1.5 MB
- Requires iOS 5.1.1 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 5.1.1 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 5.1.1 or later.
- Requires macOS 11 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
- Age Rating
- 12+ Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References
- © 2018 Personal Remedies, LLC
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.