READ ANYTIME, ANYWHERE
On the bus, on your break, in your bed—never be without a book. Kindle books you have purchased on Amazon will automatically appear in your app. Kindle Unlimited and Amazon Prime members can select and download Kindle books directly in the app.
FIND YOUR NEXT GREAT READ
• Read the books you buy on Amazon in the Kindle app. Choose from over six million Kindle books (including those with Audible narration), magazines, and comics and start reading in seconds. Explore Amazon Charts best sellers and titles across genres like romance, science fiction, children’s books, self-help, religion, nonfiction, and more—and try any book with a free sample straight from the Kindle app.
• Kindle Unlimited members can enjoy unlimited reading and listening, with the freedom to explore over 1 million titles, thousands of audiobooks, and current magazines.
• Over 1,000 books, magazines, comics, and more included with Amazon Prime.
GO BEYOND PAPER
Turn your iPhone or iPad into a book with the free Kindle app—so you can read anytime, anywhere. Explore these reading features in the Kindle app:
• Read your way. Customize your text size, font type, margins, text alignment, and orientation (portrait or landscape)—and choose whether to turn pages from left to right or continuously scroll. Read comfortably day and night with adjustable brightness and background colors. Go to the Aa menu in your book to get started.
• Look up words, people, and places while you read. Breeze through words you don’t know and characters you can’t remember with the built-in dictionary, X-Ray, Wikipedia lookup, instant translations, and search within your book. Simply tap and hold a word to view its definition, or use the Google and Wikipedia links to get more information.
• Track your reading progress. See what percent of the book you’ve read, real page numbers (for most top titles), and how much time you have left in the chapter or book based on your actual reading speed.
• Bookmark places you want to revisit, and make highlights and take notes throughout your book. Open My Notebook to see all your notes in the same place.
• Hop, skim, and jump with Page Flip. Flip between pages or get a bird’s-eye view of your book with Page Flip—don’t worry, we’ll save your place.
• Zoom in on high-definition color images in Kindle books, magazines, comics, and manga.
• Sync your books across devices. When you’re reading a book, the Kindle app will automatically sync where you left off—along with any bookmarks, highlights, or notes—so you can start reading on one device and pick up where you left off on another.
• When you can’t read, listen. Switch seamlessly from reading your Kindle book to listening to the Audible book, all within the Kindle app.
• Get notified when authors you love have new releases.
Several experience improvements and bug fixes.
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
The Kindle App Turned Me into a Book Worm!
Until the Kindle App I could never finish a book. Not sure if it was a physical book’s white glaring background behind the black print or the fact that I was always made aware of how many pages I had left to finish the book that caused me to not read much. However when my daughter told me about the Kindle App and how I could make the print larger, change the background and text color, look up statistics about each character (when they are first introduced into the story and who they were, and where in the book they appear each time) I was anxious to try it. All it took was ONE book and I was hooked. Tailoring the Kindle App settings to my personal preference for easy reading was a HUGE advantage in my mind. I would finish EVERY book I started just because reading - period - was just so pleasant since I had the settings tailored to my liking - black background with white or sepia letters and large print in column style. My eyes NEVER got tired with this setting. A physical book was a completely different story for me. My eyes tired quickly and would start stinging even with my reading glasses. Since I was reading more books it helped me discover the type of books I REALLY loved reading. At the end of each book you get suggestions for more books like the one you just read. I highly recommend the Kindle App!
Been using since Kindle began no problems
I am a long term user of kindle. It was the first truly successful e reader. I had searched for and tried other systems. Electronic publishing seemed inevitable and an excellent use of resources. I had a library full of books and was often on waiting lists at the public library. Our family fought over special books and were always losing them. When I found out one book could be read simultaneously by several family members I was hooked. We bought the special kindle readers for all four of us and then added the apps for phones tablets and computers. I have never had a problem managing my library with both free and purchased content. Kudos. Just hope the authors are getting a fair share. Editing at publishing houses is still important but publishers costs should be very much lower with no printing, no paper, no delivery costs. All ads are media driven. Lower production costs should mean lower prices without penalizing the author, maybe even increasing the payments.
In summary, the kindle system has been efficient and bug free for me ever since it began. I still use kindles to read outdoors, and love always having my library with my phone when I am stuck somewhere and need to wait.
My Favorite Reading App
I love the Kindle app. I am an avid reader, and have three reading apps. I have iBooks and the Barnes and Noble app called Nook along with Kindle. Of the three apps, I find I like the Kindle app the best because it is the most intuitive. It is the easiest to annotate i.e., highlighting, entering notations (which I frequently do when I look up the definition of a word I’m unfamiliar with), and determining where you are in the book or how much more time it will take to finish a chapter. The new feature of zooming out and flipping through pages is really helpful too as well as the ability to tap the icon that will return you to your previous location.
The three things I would consider improving are: 1) when I’m reading with the screen brightness turned down because I’m reading in the dark, when I look up a definition of a word, the print is so small and dim that I can’t see it. I then have to get out of the definition, increase the brightness, and go back and highlight the word and look up the definition again; 2) sometimes the dictionary isn’t available and when I am told to download it, it won’t download, and 3) I really wish it had more colors available for highlighting the text.
- AMZN Mobile LLC
- 135 MB
Requires iOS 12.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
English, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Portuguese, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese
- Age Rating
- © 2009-2019 Amazon.com, Inc. or its Affiliates.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.