The Kodansha Kanji Learner's Dictionary: Revised and Expanded is the best kanji-learning tool available for electronic devices. Based on the recently-published revised edition of Jack Halpern’s world-renowned The Kodansha Kanji Learner's Dictionary, this iOS edition is an easy-to-use electronic dictionary that fully satisfies the practical needs of beginning and intermediate learners.
This up-to-date dictionary covers 3,002 kanji entry characters – 772 more than in the original edition – and covers all the characters in the recently revised Jōyō Kanji and Jinmei Kanji lists prescribed by the Japanese government. This app gives learners quick access to all the benefits of the print edition, plus additional functionality made possible by the iOS platform, including quick and intuitive interfaces for looking up kanji by SKIP or by radical, the ability to toggle between kana and romaji display for readings, various additional ways to look up kanji or compounds (eg. by on and kun readings, English meaning, or SKIP number), animated stroke-order diagrams, context-sensitive pop-ups, and much more.
No kanji dictionary on the market today offers such a full range of features in such a stunning, user-friendly interface. No stone has been left unturned to create this high-quality application of superb design.
Please note: If you currently own The Kodansha Kanji Learner's Dictionary for iOS developed by CJKI, and are running iOS 5 or higher, you can make an in-app purchase that will enable your application to access all the additional content contained in this Revised and Expanded app. First update your app to the most recent version (2.0), and then go to Settings > Add-ons in the Info menu.
* core meanings that concisely define the most dominant sense of each character, giving the learner an instant grasp of a character's fundamental meaning
* the System of Kanji Indexing by Patterns (SKIP), which enables even complete beginners to locate characters with accuracy and speed
* 3,002 main entry characters, including all the characters in the Jōyō Kanji and Jinmei Kanji lists
* approximately 46,000 senses for 35,000 words, word elements, and illustrative examples
* covers all high-frequency compounds based on frequency statistics compiled by the Agency for Cultural Affairs in 2010
* character meanings ordered in a manner that shows how each character contributes to the meanings of compound words
* animated stroke order diagrams for all 2,136 Jōyō entry characters
* 9,200 character readings, including readings used only in names
* multiple search modes including kana, romaji, SKIP, radical, English meaning, and entry number
* 1,300 homophones with core meanings explain differences between closely related characters
* a special Browser which allows uers to browse characters by SKIP number, frequency ranking, or Jōyō grade
* links allowing users to jump to corresponding entry in The Kodansha Kanji Usage Guide app, if installed
* audio for all compounds
* useful appendixes on stroke counting, pronunciation, kana, and more
* intuitive interface for quickly looking up characters by SKIP or radicals
* tapping on any character or word allows users to jump to the relevant entry
* no Internet connection required
* history and bookmarks
NOTE: For US educational institutions, this app can be purchased at a 50% discount through Apple’s Volume Purchase Program. See
for more information.
The CJK Dictionary Institute is directed by Jack Halpern, editor of the New Japanese-English Character Dictionary and The Kodansha Kanji Learner's Dictionary, now standard reference works.
Be sure to check out our other dictionary apps available for iOS (search for "cjki").
- fixed an issue where the app was not displaying properly for users with Dark Mode turned on
- fixed an issue where Browse was not maintaining a user's place when they returned to the Browse list
- fixed an issue where the selection wheel was not appearing on iPad devices
Ratings and Reviews
Very useful app. Various search options are available, including a very handy SKIP-based search.
Integration with the other apps from the same company is excellent. I recommend purchasing the bundle of all 3 apps, as they work best together.
A bit pricey. Given the price, I wish more kanji were included (say, all kanji in the “advanced” version of the book). A few not-so-rare kanji are indeed missing. While that is not a dealbreaker, it is occasionally a source of frustration for users who would like to make this app their go-to kanji reference.
Best kanji dictionary app there is!
No other kanji dictionary app even comes close to comparing to this one. The core meanings and SKIP is incredible!
Indispensable for Any Student of Japanese
This is a must have resource for students of Japanese. As a book it is superb but in its electronic iteration it is truly an indispensable item. No true grasp of the Japanese language is possible without knowledge of Kanji, and no significant Japanese vocabulary can be attained without knowing and understanding Kanji. In this resource, multiple Kanji can be cross-referenced and rapidly studied (including close ups and stroke order animations) with a simple tap on a character...this includes component characters in all vocabulary examples which follow each of the the main character listings. The speed and utility of a digital format facilitates quick understanding of word formation. It is so quick that I actually have fun using it. The breadth of vocabulary one can attain even with occasional study using this dictionary is astonishing and there literally is no finer English language reference. That Kodansha published this dictionary is a testament to its quality. It may cost a bit more but it is well worth it! I am a long time student of Japanese and have tried all of the other dictionary and Kanji mnemonic memorization tomes but always return to this one for its thorough and comprehensive treatment of the Kanji.
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- The CJK Dictionary Institute, Inc.
- 120.8 MB
- Requires iOS 10.3 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 10.3 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 10.3 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2022 The CJK Dictionary Institute, Inc.
Up to six family members can use this app with Family Sharing enabled.