Learn to code at your own pace.
Learn for free with Encode's self-paced lessons: bite-sized explanations, coding challenges and real-world examples build-up your coding skills.
Start your coding journey today! Encode teaches you coding right from the start.
Knowin is back to its original name: Encode!
We've introduced an expanded range of free coding lessons. You can now learn how to build websites, analyze data, query databases and more, for free. Encode Plus introduces a new learning experience, powered by an all-new code editor designed for mobile. Learn to code, by coding!
Here's all that's new in this version:
* New Name, New Logo — We have a new name: Encode!
* Learn Coding for Free — Learn more with a huge expansion of our free skills. Learn in-demand tech skills, for free.
* Lessons with Code Editor — Run real code on-the-go in new Encode Plus skills.
* Progress — View an overview of your skill completion.
* Navigation — Easily navigate between a skill's chapters: swipe between chapters or tap the new suggested lesson button.
* Additional Themes — Say hello to two new themes: Isle (a classic, simple color scheme) and Space (a beautiful, deep purple color scheme).
* Account Management — Quickly delete your Encode account from Settings. Sign in with Apple is now supported.
Ratings and Reviews
Perfect for beginners!
I wanted to learn coding during my commute. But so many free to start apps require a constant Internet connection, and my train is often stuck underground without service. I greatly appreciate that you can use Encode even offline. (It being offline also means that it can't load the ads, if you find that annoying.)
The extra challenges as reinforcement and the compound lessons putting everything together is worth the $4.99 unlock, but even if you're looking to just start learning for free you could do much worse than Encode.
Simple and Easy
The app is super easy to understand and really works hard to break down each individual step so that you never feel overwhelmed. It’s extremely good at putting vocabulary into Layman’s terms to help you understand everything you’re doing. It also breaks things into very small chunks that are in and of themselves easy to learn, and then builds on. This really allows for a deeper comprehension of what you’re doing, and actively helps you understand why you’re doing what you’re doing. 10/10, would recommend.
Good for learning, but wished that the Hands-On was there again
So I learned all my basics for HTML and CSS through Encode (the previous name before Knowin) and I have to say I loved the interactive, hands-on, you-type-it mode that It had. But don’t get me wrong, this app is still very good at teaching the basics for coding in any of its available subjects. But just as someone who still remembers the very interactive mode of Encode, I do miss it. Personally it was better for me to type it out than to press buttons to questions. So if its possible to bring this back into Knowin, that would be awesome. Like I said awesome app that can teach you so much, I would just like to see that type-it-yourself mode back. But overall, it is a very solid app, good job developers!
Data Linked to You
The following data may be collected and linked to your identity:
- Contact Info
- User Content
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Upskew Pty. Ltd.
- 95.1 MB
- Requires iOS 10.3 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 10.3 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 10.3 or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2021 Upskew Pty. Ltd.
- In-App Purchases
- Annual $6.49
- Monthly $2.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.