Koala is the ultimate pocket-sized sampler. Record anything with your phone's mic instantly. Use Koala to create beats with those samples, add effects and create a track!
Koala’s super intuitive interface helps you make a tracks in a flash, there is no brake pedal. You can also resample the output of the app back into the output, through the effects, so the sonic possibilities are endless.
Koala's design focuses totally on making the music making progress instant, keeping you in the flow and keeping it fun, not getting bogged down by pages of parameters and micro-editing.
* Record up to 64 different samples with your mic
* Transform your voice or any other sound with 16 superb built-in fx
* Resample the output of the app back into a new sample
* Export loops or entire tracks as professional quality WAV files
* Direct export to Ableton Live Set
* Copy/paste or merge sequences just by dragging them
* Create beats with the high-resolution sequencer
* Import samples using AudioShare or just open them in Koala
* Import samples with the Files app
* Keyboard mode lets you play chromatically or one of 9 scales
* Quantize, add swing to get the right feel
* Normal/One-shot/Reverse playback of samples
* Add any (or all) of the 8 effects to the entire mix
* AudioBus 3.0 and Inter-App Audio compatible
* MIDI controllable - play your samples on a keyboard
* Jam with others over WiFi with Ableton Link
* Free copy of Ableton Live Lite included
8 Built-in Microphone FX:
* More Bass
* More Treble
* Octave up
* Octave down
16 Built-in DJ Mix FX:
* Comb filter
* Ring modulator
* Resonant High/Low Pass Filters
* Tempo Delay
* 8 brand new mix FX! - Cutter, Reverse, Dub, Tempo Delay, Talkbox, VibroFlange, Dirty, Compressor
* Gate effect fixed
* Prompt that reminds you to save before starting a new song or loading another
* Other performance / stability enhancements
Ratings and Reviews
Love This Thing! One feature request! Okay, Two...
I ❤️ Koala Sampler’s layout, features, and ease of use. My request is for landscape mode be made available for iPad. I use a Focusrite iPad dock and portrait mode isn’t practical in terms of workflow going from App to app. The second request is to be able to easily transfer songs & sample set-ups from iPhone to iPad. Maybe via iCloud? That way the iPhone can be used as a Field Sampler, & the iPad can be used, with it’s more ergonomically friendly size, for further song & soundscape production. Seriously, Landscape mode would make this incredible work-flow wise if it were an option. Thank you
For lo-fi heads
I love this app. It’s like a nod to the SP-303 and PO-33 and I’m a big fan of both. It almost checks off all my wishes I had for a portable sampler. The workflow is smooth making it easy to use and bang out ideas quickly.
I picked up an iRig 2 that works perfectly for sampling from any line out and it takes this app to the next level. It even has a 3.5 mm headphone jack that allows you to monitor your sample source and the Koala app while it’s plugged in.
I feel like I underpaid for this app and I would gladly pay for extra features like a one shot option for samples, sample load and a simple step sequencer, but that doesn’t take away from how dope this app already is. I’d also like to see the ability to load tracks into the performance section to be able to do 303 style beat sets. Looking forward to future updates to this slick app.
Edit: I’d like to see an update that allows copying a pattern or sample between one page/bank to the next.
Edit 2: I figured out how to move patterns from page to page. Sorry.
It’s like having a sp-404 in your pocket. The UI is such that when you go to do something, it is done in a way that comes naturally without having to think about it, such press for duration of record and drag and drop to duplicate. The features and limitations are in perfect balance to foster creativity whether quickly getting ideas down or doing something more sculpted and spending a little time making. Dev seems responsive and involved. One of my most used music apps as of late, def recommend especially for the price.
- Marek Bereza
- 7.7 MB
Requires iOS 10.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6S, iPhone 6S Plus, iPhone SE, iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone X, iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, iPhone XR, iPad Air, iPad Air Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 2, iPad mini 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Air 2, iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 3, iPad mini 3 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 4, iPad mini 4 Wi-Fi + Cellular, 12.9-inch iPad Pro, 12.9-inch iPad Pro Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Pro (9.7‑inch), iPad Pro (9.7-inch) Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad (5th generation), iPad (5th generation) Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad Pro (12.9‑inch) (2nd generation), iPad Pro (12.9‑inch) (2nd generation) Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad Pro (10.5‑inch), iPad Pro (10.5-inch) Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad (6th generation), iPad Wi-Fi + Cellular (6th generation), iPad Pro (11-inch), iPad Pro (11-inch) Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Pro (12.9-inch), iPad Pro (12.9-inch) Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad mini (5th generation), iPad mini (5th generation) Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Air (3rd generation), iPad Air (3rd generation) Wi-Fi + Cellular,and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2019 elf audio
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.