Koala is the ultimate pocket-sized sampler. Record anything with your phone's mic instantly. Use Koala to create beats with those samples, add effects and create a track!
Koala’s super intuitive interface helps you make a tracks in a flash, there is no brake pedal. You can also resample the output of the app back into the input, through the effects, so the sonic possibilities are endless.
Koala's design focuses totally on making the music making progress instant, keeping you in the flow and keeping it fun, not getting bogged down by pages of parameters and micro-editing.
* Record up to 64 different samples with your mic
* Transform your voice or any other sound with 16 superb built-in fx
* Resample the output of the app back into a new sample
* Export loops or entire tracks as professional quality WAV files
* Direct export to Ableton Live Set
* Copy/paste or merge sequences just by dragging them
* Create beats with the high-resolution sequencer
* Import samples using AudioShare or just open them in Koala
* Import samples with the Files app or from videos
* Keyboard mode lets you play chromatically or one of 9 scales
* Quantize, add swing to get the right feel
* Normal/One-shot/Loop/Reverse playback of samples
* 6 Choke groups
* Attack, release and tone adjustable on each sample
* Add any (or all) of the 8 effects to the entire mix
* AudioBus 3.0 and Inter-App Audio compatible
* MIDI controllable - play your samples on a keyboard, map the effects to knobs
* Jam with others over WiFi with Ableton Link
* Free copy of Ableton Live Lite included
* Set your own background image and choose from a growing list of background visual FX.
8 Built-in Microphone FX:
* More Bass
* More Treble
* Octave up
* Octave down
16 Built-in DJ Mix FX:
* Comb filter
* Ring modulator
* Resonant High/Low Pass Filters
* Tempo Delay
Features included in SAMURAI In-App Purchase
* Timestretch (4 modes: Modern, Retro, Beats and Re-pitch)
* Piano roll editor
* Auto-chop (auto, equal, and lazy chop)
* Pocket operator sync out
Fixes a crash on some devices
Ratings and Reviews
My favorite music making App hands down!
Koala is so good for me because of two factors, being fun and being simple. I was hesitant and first to buy this app because over the years I have collected a large amount of computer software, instruments, and hardware samplers to make beats with. So for me I was like “why would I need this? I already have everything!” But my favorite beat maker posted a video using it so I gave it a try and wow. I loved it.
koala was designed to be intuitive and easy to use but still very powerful. In a age of complicated, extremely powerful beat making computer programs and Phone apps. A lot of my time is spent just tweaking on small details to make my song “perfect” which takes away from the natural fun flow of making music. Koala gives that back to me.
Is it worth the few $$$? Yes. I have music hardware that costs $1200 dollars and this app is more fun and easy to use. I love it!
My New SP-404 (and more)
This app is incredible. It’s maybe my single favorite app ever (not just music). If you are proficient with an SP-404 you will love this app.
It makes sample chopping such a pleasure. Beautiful, smooth, stable, precise - everything you could ever ask. So artfully laid out. The whole thing really is a work of art because of its beautiful simplicity and power. It embraces why people love the 404 despite its limitations and also embraces the iPad as an instrument. Thanks so much to the developer for this.
The one thing it kills compared to the 404 is the sequences. Bravo on that. It’s such a fast workflow. I can’t even explain how efficient it is. You just have to get in there and use it.
The effects are great on here but totally different than the 404. Good call on that too. You cannot do the 404 fx on an iPad. It wouldn’t work. This was a much smarter direction. (But if you nailed that vinyl sim, oh boy😳). The effects are really more like the pocket operator’s fx but more robust.
The one thing I would ask (to speed up my personal workflow significantly) would be to have an “export current sample” option just like you can export the current loop only. I do so much sample chopping in here and sometimes have a whole mess of things all in one file and would love to be able to just export one sample at a time.
Again, thanks for making my favorite app.
i love this app. 10 stars.
OLD VERSION: but lately after this new update even with NOTHING else playing on my ipad, everything is closed, background app refresh off, etc. It keeps randomly crashing on me and i lose all this work i had done. It is very very frustrating. not even beatmaker 3 or nanostudio do that. and Koala has never done it before. so If the amazing devs could figure this out for me then ill IMMEDIATLY GIVE 5 STARS. i only did one to get your attention. i use this app daily and i rely on it for a side income involving music production! please help!!
UPDATE: thank you so much for the extremely fast customer support. you sir are amazing!! i havent even had time to test the new update, but because the amazing dev got in touch with me so fast and worked so hard to try to fix it, i know that if i have any issues i can just email him directly and he will help me!! thank you so much
Developer Response ,
Hi pr4y, I’m really sorry this is happening to you. Since first reading your review, I have done everything within my means to make koala as stable as possible, and I have made an update for you specifically, I really really don’t want you to be frustrated or have a bad experience with koala. Again, I’m extremely sorry. Please update and let me know if it fixes your problems. (I can be contacted at https://www.elf-audio.com/contact.php)
UPDATE: I have now made a lot of stability enhancements to koala, if you get a chance can you let me know if it's working for you? All the best, and sorry again.
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Marek Bereza
- 15.6 MB
- Requires iOS 10.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 10.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 10.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
- Age Rating
- © 2021 elf audio
- In-App Purchases
- Samurai Edition $3.99
- Koala AUv3 Plugin $2.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.