Creating sounds with time-varying timbre, on your mobile device.
KORG iWAVESTATION - A wave sequence synthesizer for iOS.
The WAVESTATION synthesizer went on sale in 1990. This instrument featured an advanced vector synthesis system which created new sounds by combining and connecting multiple waveforms; it provided a mix/morphing function that let you use a joystick to change the balance of four oscillators, and a distinctive wave sequence function that allowed you to place waveforms in a desired sequence to create sequence patterns. To this day, it continues to be considered a legendary and still-unique instrument.
Now in 2016, the WAVESTATION has been reborn as "KORG iWAVESTATION," an app for iPad/iPhone. In addition to completely reproducing the programs, it also features a renewed design that lets everyone experience the stupendous sound-shaping potential of the WAVESTATION. It features touch-based operation that's distinctive of iOS, in conjunction with a new graphic interface that allows you to visualize and edit the time-varying timbral changes that are distinctive of the WAVESTATION.
[ Features ]
- A faithful reproduction of the original WAVESTATION sound: In addition to providing the sounds from all PCM memories of the WAVESTATION, the new iWAVESTATION also reproduces in software every detail of the parameters, based on an analysis of the original hardware circuit diagram.
- A new wave sequence view that can be graphically controlled: The iWAVESTATION, we advance another step with a graphical user interface that takes advantage of the touch operations that are a characteristic of iOS. Even more than ever, we've updated the screen design with an emphasis on creating sequences.
- 1,500 sounds, more than 700 waveforms, 55 effects, and a powerful random sequence engine: This new instrument includes a stupendous number of presets and waveforms, covering all models of the series. iWAVESTATION also provides a new random sequence function which will give you different perspectives to inspire new sounds.
- Produce music together with KORG Gadget integration: iWAVESTATION can be used in conjunction with the "KORG Gadget" music production DAW app that has won numerous awards around the world. If both apps are installed, it can be used as the "Milpitas" gadget inside the KORG Gadget app.
More info at korg.com
• Now supports iOS13.
• Other improvements and bug-fixes.
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
No midi channel!!!!
There's no selectable global midi channel for the iWAVESTATION so if you're like me and spent a hundred bucks for a plug korg plug key to use it in a setup with other synths(like a module as it was advertised) it will be useless to you. How in this day and age do you leave out a selectable midi channel on a synth? It's a shame because it sounds great and the interface Is good minus a few quirks and bugs it's very pretty. In app purchase is awesome, sound great(I actually have the real cards)...but no midi channel is bad form from Korg, who is my fav synth company. I consider the iWAVESTATION and plugkey wasted money spent until they sort out the midi. Bummed!
A bit of a learning curve but worth it
When Korg came out with keyboards that had menus you had to navigate thru, it was a little off putting compared to their analog synths that had all the knobs and sliders at your fingertips. The wavestation, while rich sounding and sonically opening new doors, it had menus to dig thru and wasn't the most intuitive for a lot of people. This offering is so much easier to tinkle with and tweak and get some cool results. Although it does have a bit of a learning curve should you decide to delve deeper, once you conquer some of its deeper features you can really see how this can take you really far and take you places a lot of iOS synths just can't go. I hope they add more user sound cards because I see myself building up a nice preset library. And speaking of libraries, Korg could stand to make improvements to all their iOS synths in terms of giving us a more organized browser, making it easier to find the sounds we're looking for faster.
I’m really confused as to why this has such a low score, not only is this a 1-1 port in terms of sonic quality compared to the VST but the devs also crafted a gorgeous, totally custom UI for iOS to help edit patches and navigate modulation options. It’s also worth mentioning that unlike the lauded Odyssey, the Wavestation synth is an original Korg product whose design has always been digital, thus you are getting essentially the same product people payed lotsa $$ for in the 90’s.
No it’s not the same as programming the subtractive synth, but it’s meant to be a unique way of combining/layering preset synth samples over time. Complaints that the WS presets are dated is understandable but since you can edit each sample/layer’s level, pitch,asdr,lfo mod, built in fx and more, I don’t see what’s got people convinced that this is a Seinfeld music machine only.
Take some time to read the manual and expand yr mind past Moog clones.
- KORG INC.
- 124 MB
Requires iOS 9.3 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- © 2016 KORG INC.
- In-App Purchases
- Expansion Card Pack $2.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.