Welcome to KrugerExplorer – the all-in-one encyclopedia to Kruger National Park.
Whether you are planning your South African safari, need the perfect companion guide for your self-drive Kruger experience, or simply want to explore Kruger from the comfort of home, you will find everything you need in the KrugerExplorer App.
This App explores the Greater Kruger in unparalleled detail, and includes:
- The most extensive Kruger wildlife Field Guide ever created.
- Guided Routes that share our knowledge of the park’s roads from years of exploring Kruger.
- The most up-to-date Kruger Maps available, helping you navigate the park’s 3,500km road network including several newly opened roads.
- Live GPS map with downloadable offline maps so you always know your location.
- Extensive sections on Kruger’s Rest Camps, Itineraries, Accommodation, plus exclusive Special Offers & Competitions.
- Thousands of stunning photographic images and audio files to reveal all the beauty of Kruger’s wildlife.
- And once downloaded, the App works 100% offline – perfect for exploring the Kruger!
The Field Guide section is unprecedented in its focus on Kruger’s wildlife. It includes over 700 species profiles detailing physical characteristics, behaviours and locations, and each is accompanied by breathtaking photography to aid identification. The 700+ species profiles cover:
- All 148 mammal species ever recorded in Kruger, including the best places to find them.
- Over 60 footprint graphics so you can identify wildlife spoor.
- 500+ bird species, including all of Kruger’s resident, migrant visitor and vagrant records since 2010. Stunning bird photography includes male, female, juvenile and breeding plumage where relevant.
- Over 500 bird audio files bring the sounds of the bush to life.
- 60+ profiles of commonly encountered reptiles and invertebrates, including crocodiles, snakes, lizards, tortoises, butterflies, spiders & much more.
The Guided Routes use our experience from many years exploring Kruger to create 70+ incredible journeys through the park:
- The routes are like having an in-person guide in your pocket. Each includes extensive commentary that doesn’t just say, “Take that road because it’s good for lions,” but instead explains the geology of each area, which in turn informs the flora that grows there, the herbivores that eat that flora and, ultimately, the predators that hunt those herbivores.
- Each route will help you develop an intimate insight into Kruger’s incredible wilderness.
- Each of the rest camps and entrance gates is covered with short, medium and full-day routes to explore.
The Maps are the most detailed and up-to-date available:
- They include newly opened roads and correct errors found in the maps available in the park shops.
- For first-time visitors to Kruger, note that you are not provided with a map and must buy one from a park shop at a cost similar to this App.
- The live GPS map means you'll never get lost.
With over half a million words of content, KrugerExplorer is the most comprehensive and unparalleled encyclopedia for the Greater Kruger ever created.
Since launching in 2019, the App has had a superb reception from fans and received wonderful accolades:
- Downloads in over 80 countries
- App Store “App of the Day”
- “Recommended” commendation by BirdLife South Africa
- “Highly Recommended” by Getaway Magazine
KrugerExplorer is also a global community of wildlife lovers. You can enjoy the stories, photos and experiences of our 200,000+ followers on Facebook & Instagram. We look forward to seeing you there!
Frequently asked questions:
- Yes, the App works 100% offline once fully downloaded. You can put your device into flight mode, escape to the bush and still make full use of the App!
- Yes, this App is a one-time purchase, with no further in-app purchases or ongoing subscriptions required.
- This is an English language app.
Danny & Charlotte
Version 2 is here – immerse yourself even further in the wonder that is Kruger! We’re very excited to add a lot of new content and functionality to this update:
- Bird audio! There are now over 500 stunning bird call files in the App, showcasing the magical sounds of the bush and helping you learn the many calls and songs you might encountered in Kruger.
- Live location map: By popular request we have added a live GPS tracking map with downloadable offline maps and the works fully offline, so you will always be able to see your live location. Visit the 'Download offline files for Live Location Maps' page in the Maps menu for detailed instructions.
- Your Sightings update: You can now export your sightings to a CSV file, meaning you can use the sightings in many different ways, such as recording a single trip, a single day or even individual game drives, while storing and maintaining your history of sightings however you like in a spreadsheet. Head to the Welcome section and the _Start here: How to use KrugerExplorer_ for a detailed explanation of the new Your Sightings functionality.
- Improved navigation with a menu function that is always available and the option to go back to the 'Last viewed route' so you can quickly skip between species profiles and the guided route you are following.
- Smaller tweaks include adding image labels to quickly explain whether a profile photo is male, female, juvenile etc, new profiles for Kruger’s remote bushveld camps, recent updates to the vagrant bird sightings in the park, hundreds of new images for the mammals and in particular the birds, and a few little bug fixes.
We hope you enjoy exploring these new additions! Best regards, Danny & Charlotte
Ratings and Reviews
Techie Approved - Excellent App
This app is an AMAZING app. MY HUBBY AND I ARE RETIRED TECHIES and are amazed at the info in this app. And it’s all VERY USEFUL and very well laid out. Before you head to Kruger, this is an essential travel tool. Being able to have the maps and information available OFFLINE while you are in the park is invaluable (and the pictures and maps are exceptionally detailed). As you travel through the park, you can document your sightings of birds, beasts, flora and fauna. Be sure to read their information on Being Your Own Safari Guide! This section has lots of great info and tips on how to have a great safari.
You can also use the app to book your reservations. I can assure you that they respond rapid fire quickly. This is truly one of the best planning and traveling apps we have used. Is it worth the download price? YES IT IS!!!!!!
Virtual Safari Guide!
Whether it’s your first safari or you’re returning to Kruger National Park for another visit, the Kruger Explorer app will take a lot of the guesswork out of planning your safari and function as your virtual guide throughout your adventure! The content is superb and easy to navigate. I appreciate the bottom-up approach to first understanding the land and how a particular habitat supports wildlife. The content is what one would expect from a professional wildlife guide including tons of fun facts and information on which routes in Kruger will improve the likelihood of viewing a given species. I’ve enjoyed referencing the animal profiles to learn more about the species I photographed during my first visit to Kruger in May 2019 and found the app invaluable in planning a 39-day, self-guided safari in October 2019. I highly recommend the Kruger Explorer app!
Makings of a World Class App
Loved the intuitive interface and extra information on every animal/bird. High res photos of the animals enhances the experience and learning. Loved the Afrikaans bird names- hope you are planning to add the Zulu name too at some future date.
Fairly priced considering the work and development for this premium quality app.
Will never have to buy a paper map of the park again. Yay for me and yay for the environment.
Sightings record a lovely add-on. Constructive criticism for updates as I believe you will continue to improve the app. Would love to have bird sounds, photos of the juvenile birds and if we could have the option t date sightings. So you can have a record of sightings for a particular KNP trip.
Very happy with my purchase.
Developer Response ,
Hi Candoit SA, thank you so much for such a superb review! Just wanted to share that we have an update coming in the (fingers crossed) next week or so that will add over 500 birdsong audio recordings to the App...! We're in the final steps of getting it approved by the Stores and once that is complete it will be available to download as an Update via the App Store. Charlotte and I hope you enjoy the new content and our thanks again. We're always available to chat on email@example.com as well. Best regards, Danny (& Charlotte) Edit: the update just went live on the App Store and is available to download now... :-)
Data Used to Track You
The following data may be used to track you across apps and websites owned by other companies:
- Contact Info
Data Linked to You
The following data may be collected and linked to your identity:
- Contact Info
- Usage Data
- Other Data
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Explorer Apps Ltd
- 178.4 MB
- Requires iOS 10.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 10.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 10.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2022 Explorer Apps Limited
Up to six family members can use this app with Family Sharing enabled.