More features than any other dictionary app available!
And the most "connected" dictionary app on macOS and iOS -works together with more third-party dictionaries and apps than anyone else.
Longman's flagship learner’s dictionary PLUS the Longman Activator Thesaurus
The ultimate learner's resource of the English language for use anywhere and anytime.
Are you looking to increase your English vocabulary? Do you have difficulty deciding on the correct word to use in a particular situation? Then the Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English PLUS Longman Activator Thesaurus is the app for you.
The Longman Activator Thesaurus is a thesaurus for learners of English – and unlike a traditional thesaurus, it provides full explanations of all words and phrases so that you truly understand the differences between them. For this reason, the Longman Activator Thesaurus has been described as “better than a thesaurus”!
LDOCE Dictionary details:
● 230,000 words, phrases and meanings - more than any other learner's dictionary
● 165,000 examples based on real, natural English from the Longman Corpus Network
● 10,000 encyclopedic entries -people and places.
● Clear definitions written using only 2,000 common words
● Full IPA phonetic transcriptions for all words
● 5,000 verb conjugation tables
● Over 3000 images and 120 videos to explain meanings at a glance
● Most frequent 3,000 words in spoken & written English highlighted for you
● Register Notes focus on the differences between spoken and written English.
● The Academic Word List is highlighted to help you improve your essays and presentations.
● Grammar and warning notes ensure that you avoid the most common errors.
● Integrated Collocations Dictionary. Over 80,000 collocations will improve your fluency.
● Integrated Thesaurus.
-Over 20,000 synonyms, antonyms and related words will improve your vocabulary range.
86,000 pronunciation files
—all headwords in both UK & US accents
another 86,000 recorded example sentences
—via external links. Over 20GB of audio!
Activator Thesaurus details:
+ 866 keywords – basic words that you already know
+ Over 22,000 words and phrases
– all fully explained and illustrated with example sentences
+ Full index for quick look-up of words or phrases
+ Over 15,000 audio pronunciations in British & American English
+ Full IPA phonetic transcriptions for all words and phrases
+ Over 400 images
Making this the largest resource for English learning available on ANY mobile platform!
● full contents of the print dictionary
- PLUS additional collocations, synonyms & word histories
● complete front matter & additional resources
● unique three-way cross-referencing search
● real-time progressing look-up
● wildcard pattern searches -with * ?
● spelling suggestion dictionary included
● hyperlinking directly to meanings & appendices
● example sentence search
● search on idioms & phrasal verbs
● search on synonym & "sign-post" meanings
● Bookmarks with folders and editable notations
● Bookmark syncing via iCloud
● automatic history listing
● search from other applications via a public API
● Flashcards to test yourself
● Teacher's resources in PDF for printing or email
● "Word-of-the-Day" sets including TOEIC® & TOEFL®
● OS-independent app localization
● DarkMode support
● iPhone, iPod, iPad and macOS support
● Full layout for definition emails & Evernote posts.
Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English
© Pearson Education Limited 2015
Longman Activator Thesaurus, Second Edition
© Pearson Education Limited 2002
Fix for macOS 10.x
Ratings and Reviews
My best dictionary
It is my best dictionary i have ever used in my entire life , since I started learning English, always this app is with me , as it has helped so much with the word definition and lots of different features that they deserved to be used .. 5 stars are less , i would rate it 10 stars
Developer Response ,
Useful dropdown menu has been removed
Latest update removed the option of being able to use the dropdown menu which was a very nice feature. In fact most of us bought this new version because of that new and very useful feature. Now it is no longer available ! The app library picture still shows the dropdown menu option but it is no longer available in the app itself. This needs to be corrected asap so that people do not get shocked when they open the app and find out that the dropdown menu does not exist.
The developer put up the new version for sale with all the nice features and now with this update many of those features are gone. It appears that the app has been downgraded to a basic dictionary with only a few features left. I paid over $30 for this app.
Now I ended up with an expensive app that I can no longer use for my note taking in my studies.
Developer Response ,
Have you looked in About > Settings? You probably have turned off the menu feature.
The developer who answer the reviews is not the same from support desk
The person who answer the review tells me that whatever I’m Observing as a bug it’s not, actually he or she says it’s a expected behavior.
The support desk tells me that is something it should have been fixed in the update but it wasn’t . I can’t make myself understood if the support desk hardly ever answers nor even check the pictures of video where you can observe the bug and replicate it.
If the developer is going to answer me to my review , I think that the minimum thing he or she could is to make make sure someone have previously answer to me from support desk
How can support desk tell me it’s a bug and that it should be solved with the update but it isn’t after so many months
And then you developer comes here and answer reviews telling me it’s not a bug, it’s a expected behavior
The minimum thing your support desk could do is to review the email and at least open the videos and pictures proof that there is a bug
But support desk or customer service hardly ever answers
Developer Response ,
As the support desk should have replied to you and as as we did here previously, the flashing you are referring to is NOT a bug but a feature. It is to show the target the user is jumping to when it is not a headword.
Data Used to Track You
The following data may be used to track you across apps and websites owned by other companies:
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- User Content
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- English Channel, Inc.
- 989.8 MB
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 9.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 10.15 or later.
English, Arabic, Bosnian, Catalan, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Indonesian, Irish, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Kurdish, Lithuanian, Malay, Persian, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Slovenian, Spanish, Swedish, Tagalog, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Vietnamese
- Age Rating
- 12+ Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References
- © Pearson Education Limited, Enfour Inc., The English Channel
- In-App Purchases
- Example Sounds download activation $0.99
- Full-text Search activation $0.00
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.