Letter Workbook is one of Sherston's most popular iPad apps and it is now available for the iPhone too!
Letter Workbook is an interactive educational app which teaches toddlers and children how to form and write letters. Through the simple, interactive guide children will learn how to write their ABC, improve vocabulary and have fun along the way!
How it works
Children can choose between uppercase and lowercase letters and each letter has interactive dots which show the child how to create the shape of the letter with their finger. This is in the same direction and format as they will learn at school, based on the UK national curriculum. Once they have practised the shape of the letter, they are able to follow the dots to create the letter outline. Next, a clear audio instruction asks the child to trace the letter without the guide. This will help your child to develop their letters quickly, step by step.
When a letter is completed the child will receive a green tick icon with sound indicating that the letter traced is correct. When the letter is traced incorrectly there will be a red cross icon which encourages the child to look at previous examples and trace the letter again.
The exercises can be repeated as many times as the child likes so that they are able to write and recognise letters in no time!
- Fun & interactive
- Repeated patterns for easy recognition, based on the UK national curriculum guide
- Free 12 letters (A-L) to practice in uppercase and lowercase (single upgrade for more)
- Easy to use letter guide
- Audio recorded to improve letter and word pronunciation
- Audio instructions and sound effects
- Enhanced graphics for retina displays
- Tested by parents, educators and children
- No need for Internet connection
- update app's icon
- added parents section for Big Clever Learning subscribers
Ratings and Reviews
Keeps auto shut down and won’t let us upgrade (on a 2013 iPad). But it seems like an ok app when it works.
A good start...
I like the workbook style of this app, and the sound effects. But as a literacy instructor, I feel there are some key things that are missing.
1. Letter sounds...I wish that students heard the sound, instead of just the name and then a word with the target letter in the initial position. Students need to hear letter sounds much more often than the letter name.
2. The writing freehand is a great feature that sets this app apart from many others. However, it allows students to begin letters in the wrong position,as long as the finished product "matches" the exemplar well enough. This is not ideal for setting students up for cursive or for reducing confusion/letter reversals.
Keep auto shut down it doesn’t let us upgrade
I had upgrade to this app years ago I change my I pad and I can’t upgrade it now
- Big Clever Learning Limited
- 40.5 MB
Requires iOS 8.1 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © Sherston Software Limited
- In-App Purchases
- Unlock Workbook $2.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.