LibreOffice Vanilla is a powerful office productivity application consisting of Writer (word processing), Calc (spreadsheets), Impress (presentations), Draw (vector graphics and flowcharts), Base (databases), and Math (formula editing).
It can also open and edit text documents, spreadsheets, presentations, and drawings created in a large number of other applications like OpenOffice, Microsoft Office, Microsoft Visio, WordPerfect, Quattro Pro, Lotus 1-2-3, AutoCAD. Even documents created in historical applications such as MacWrite and ClarisWorks can be opened.
LibreOffice Vanilla is based directly on the LibreOffice source code from The Document Foundation. It is recommended for users who want the convenience of installing from the App Store and getting automatic updates, compared to manually downloading and installing from The Document Foundation.
(Note that features implemented in Java are not present.)
Fix crash on macOS 10.13 and earlier.
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Exactly what others say: Landscape...
I was beginning to have issues with the old version of Libre office, so I updated it to Vanilla, and those problems were fixed. HOWEVER, now all of my printing is only in landscape, even though landscape is not selected. It was really frustrating, I just uninstalled and reinstalled to see if it would make a difference.
Other applications print fine. So, I just make my document, sometimes export it as a PDF, then I print it out using pages or something else. It would be nice to be able to do it all in one app, though.
Downloaded the new Vanilla version thinking it would be an improvement. I spent an hour on a project only to find out that this version will only allow me to print my document in Landscape format. I have gone through every menue option in this program and even though you click on Portrait, you still get Landscape. Another glitch is that it does not insert a period after double spacing with the space bar. Also, what did you do with all your nifty templates. Most of the letter, resume, envelope, etc. templates have disappeared.
I was able to open the older version and print my document just fine. I did notice that the above mentioned templates no longer exist in the older version now either. Too bad, they were handy at times.
As far as my continued use of your LibreOffive Vanilla version….I done with it. I’ll go back to the older version.
Landscape Printing Only
I really wanted to love this program and I am still using it to some extent until I find a better solution for my needs, but there are two things I haven’t liked...
The major issue:
- The program only prints in Landscape orientation. This is regardless of changing the print settings in the program itself or on the printer settings. Even telling the program to use the printer’s settings instead of the programs results in landscape printing. There is a workaround to this: exporting your document to a PDF and then printing the PDF, but that is an annoying process to simply test print a page or two to review.
A much less significant problem:
- I am not a big fan of the spellcheck options within the program. It highlights a mispelled word with a red squiggle (just as Microsoft Word does), but you cannot right click the individual word to tell the program to ignore the spelling or choose the correct option. Instead you must run the spellcheck from the top menu in order to check the document in total. This is a minor detail, but when you become accustomed to simple, quick fixes this makes the program feel clunky and inefficient.
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Collabora Productivity Ltd
- 408.8 MB
- Requires macOS 10.12.0 or later.
English, Catalan, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Norwegian Bokmål, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
- Age Rating
- © 2020 Collabora Productivity Ltd
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.