Light Pollution Map allows you to easily locate dark sky locations where the sky will not be affected by light pollution, allowing the best observance, star gazing, and photography of the night sky! But it's not just a light pollution map. There's so much more, such as aurora borealis live viewing map, meteor shower alerts, super moon alerts, lunar eclipse alerts, moon phases and info, aurora and magnetic field information, international space station tracker, and a lot more! Light Pollution Map will help you master the night sky..
List of all features:
• Highly accurate, customizable and interactive light pollution map to find dark sky viewing locations near you.
• See live aurora borealis information such as KP value, magnetic field information, and more for the hardcore aurora chaser.
• Live aurora borealis visibility map for northern and southern hemisphere, with additional timelapse options.
• Aurora information widgets (today widget).
• ISS Tracker with live updates about the international space station including the location, visibility, velocity, altitude, and more.
• Night sky event calendar allows you to find dates for lunar eclipses, super moons, and meteor showers.
• Live images of the Sun via NASA's Solar and Heliospheric Observatory.
• Darkness countdown timer until the darkest period of night so you know when the night sky will be the darkest. Also let you know when it starts getting light outside.
• Astronomy photo of the day directly from NASA! A new one every day to look at!
• Local temperature indicator to know if you need to bring a sweater before you even step outside.
• Local cloud coverage indicator to know if you will be able to see anything before you step outside.
• Cloud cover overlay on the main map to find clear sky locations at night.
• Settings to customize the app.
• Moon information such as moon phase, moon rise, and moon set times, days of next full moon and new moon, etc.
• Moon direction tool which allows you to find where the moon will be, at any time, any date, for any location.
• Enable a horizon safe radius circle to avoid light pollution from nearby cities on the map.
• Local Aurora Borealis (Northern/Southern Lights) alerts and push notifications.
• Global Aurora Borealis Activity alerts and push notifications.
• Meteor shower alerts and push notifications.
• Super moon alerts and push notifications.
• Lunar eclipse alerts and push notifications.
• Save and load your favorite dark sky locations.
• Navigate to your saved locations using the Apple Maps app.
Some features above require an optional in-app purchase to upgrade to the pro version. Every purchase helps us to continue running and developing the app and is much appreciated.
Note: Light Pollution Map loads data online. Internet connection or wifi is required, and we are not responsible for any data usage chargers from your provider.
In this update, we fixed a few memory leak issues, so now the app should use less memory on your iPhone and run a bit smoother.
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Great app and customer service
As an amateur astronomer, this app is perfect for finding a good location to observe. If you are serious about astronomy, the paid version has enough useful features to justify a one-time purchase, plus you get priority support, which has proven beneficial to me. Hats off to the devs!
Will not load light pollution layer, minimizes app into background mode
My Astrophotography instructor from a local College recommended this app. Very disappointed, it is unusable. Allowed it to use my location while open, selected light pollution map from list, the satellite view displayed. Only 30% of the light pollution overlay manages to load from the left side of iPad Pro display, then instantly the app closes! Double click my home button, and I see the app in the App Switcher. There are no updates in the App Store.
A busy disappointed
For the pro price, I’m disappointed. The location manager part of the app just crashes when trying to use as does the aurora. There are issues with zoom resetting when weather overlay is on and it is telling when the darkness here ends in the middle of the day. Also, the calendar appears to have nothing in it.
- Dunbar Technology, LLC
- 167.8 MB
Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- © Photographer's Arsenal / Dunbar Technology, LLC
- In-App Purchases
- Pro Version Upgrade $9.99
- Pro Version Upgrade Discounted $8.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.