Explore the wave nature of light and watch electromagnetics come to life in an interactive real-physics simulation!
Whether you are a student or just physics-curious: Lightwave Studio lets you have fun with light waves and gain an intuitive visual understanding of wave optics phenomena.
Conduct more than 40 wave optics experiments. Interact with the simulation by moving lenses and more optical objects or by launching laser pulses and observe what happens. Create your own experiments and share them with your friends!
Full feature list includes:
• Conduct 40+ experiments in the sections 'Refraction', 'Diffraction', 'Waveguides' and 'Fun'.
• Interact with the simulation: Move/rotate lenses and more objects with your finger, launch laser pulses and watch them fly around your screen
• Four customizable object shapes: lenses, ellipses, rectangles, triangles.
• Four customizable light sources: point source, transient point source, line source, transient line source.
• Eight different colormaps to display the electromagnetic waves on screen.
• Create your own experiments from within the app and share them with friends via iTunes file sharing.
• Create your own experiments from a computer in a special xml-format which can then be loaded in the app by anyone.
• Sensors to observe the light field at any point in the simulation. Fourier Transform on the sensor to perform frequency analysis.
• Employs algorithm for the simulation of Maxwell's equations in 2d, i.e. an algorithm describing the evolution of electromagnetic fields over time
• Highly optimized and parallelized code taking the most of multiple CPUs on mobile devices.
Have fun with a multitude of wave optics experiments!
This update is signed with Apple’s latest signing certificate. No new features are included.
Ratings and Reviews
Beautifully accurate and addictive tool to study Flow
I’m amazed by this app and the work that went into it. It’s so well done. There’s even a hidden game in it called Don’t Miss the Field… it’s an ambush game that is triggered whenever an attribute value field is tapped. A seemingly simple keyboard appears, and when you go to enter a number, you have to be careful to not fall off the ledge of the keyboard into the void. If you do, the dialog box, which once stood high, awaiting to accept and apply the value you present it... suddenly vanishes… and you’re left on the ledge of the keyboard. Stuck. Forced to end your own process. (Double-tap, swipe up, relaunch) and it’s fine (hope you saved).
I think the hidden game is pretty cool. Like it’s almost like you’re working with a real tool, and if you tap past the edge, it just jams or shorts out.
But the that accuracy on the wave interactions, and appreciation to detail... 🙏 if you fixed that one bug... it’d be worth more than 5 stars
Fun example of the value of visualization on a mobile device.
Good learning tool
A bit buggy in iPhone, can't use text fields to set values. Awkward parameters for making triangles. All else great!
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.