Love RSS feeds? So do we!!
RSS feeds are a great way to follow updates on your favorite website. However, some sites set up their feeds to only show a portion of each entry, you know, to get you to click through to their actual website. We find that really annoying, and we're sure you do too.
Which is why, unlike other RSS feed readers, that either push you into a browser (in-app or otherwise), or depend on third party text parsing services and require you to be online to fetch the full text of one article at a time (which makes it no different from having to click/tap through to a website), in lire, you get your favorite RSS feeds as they should've been. You don't need to click through to any website (though, you do still have the option to, if you really wanted). It takes your favorite partial feeds, does it's magic, and converts them in to full feeds, so you don't have to click/tap on those annoying 'Read more' or 'Continue reading' links.
Once they're cached, you don't even need to be connected to read your full-text feeds.
Use as a standalone feed reader,
sync with any of the several services: Feedly, Feedbin, FeedHQ, The Old Reader, Inoreader, BazQux Reader, Newsblur, Feed Wrangler.
- Fixed an issue that caused some articles (either in 'Original Article View' or 'Full-text View') to be rendered completely blank.
- Other minor bug fixes & improvements.
Major 3.0 update..
- New sync services: FeedHQ, The Old Reader, Inoreader, BazQux Reader, Feedbin, Newsblur, Feed Wrangler.
- Completely redesigned UI.
- Several new fonts.
- State Restoration (lire will now start where you left it when you were last using it).
- Spotlight search for articles.
- Standalone feed engine is completely rebuilt from the ground up.
- New background refresh/sync engine: You can now set the minimum amount of time that must elapse after a background refresh/sync before another background refresh/sync can me initiated.
- Get notifications when a successful background refresh/sync downloads new articles.
- New, and more efficient full-text fetching engine.
- New OPML import engine: Besides being able to import file via 'Open with:' from other apps, you can now import OPML files from iCloud drive, and other apps that offer file providers, from right within the OPML Import/Export screen.
- New section in Accessibility/VoiceOver Options: VoiceOver users can now change the order in which VoiceOver will speak different attributes of each article in a list of articles.
- New Fast Read Later option: This is different from 'Fast Read Later' in previous versions: Go to Settings > Article Options > Fast Read Later, and select what you want Fast Read Later to do. This actions will basically replace the second button on the bottom bar in the main article view.
- New Swipe To Left Action option in article lists: Go to Settings > Article Options > Swipe To Left Action, and select what you want Swipe To Left Action to do. Which in a list of articles swipe/slide an article to the left to perform this actions. VoiceOver users can perform this action from the rotor.
- New Swipe To Right Action option in article lists: Go to Settings > Article Options > Swipe To Right Action, and select what you want Swipe To Right Action to do. Which in a list of articles swipe/slide an article to the right to perform this actions. VoiceOver users can perform this action from the rotor.
- Easy way to report problems with full-text extraction of specific articles: Tap 'Report a problem' link at the bottom of the full-text view if the specific article.
- Tons of other new features, improvements, and bug fixes..
If you enjoy using lire, please leave a review, tell a friend about it, or consider dropping a small thank you in the Tip Jar. That helps a lot!
Ratings and Reviews
Great, but one major UI flaw for me
Lire is a very good RSS reader, with integration with many major sync services. Full text caching is the prime feature, and it works well 99% of the time.
Overall, the UI is well thought out, usable, and somewhat customizable. I would appreciate a single-tap way to select read or unread and other feed filter views, rather than having to tap on the menu and then select.
The main reason I'm not continuing to use the app is that the developer has elected to immediately hide articles as they are marked read (while in the "unread" articles view).
This makes it annoyingly time consuming to go to a different view and find an article I mistakenly marked as read, unmark it, and return to the "read" view. I make such errors enough, in rapid swiping and previewing through multiple feeds, that I'm giving up on Lire unless it provides a better solution in the future.
The app is nicely done, however the standalone rss capability I’m hopping can be improved. Using keyword search comes up nothing found quite often not sure if there’s an issue, I know it uses google news and bing, but nothing shows for google news. Is google news no long available as a search? Other then that awesome app, keep up the great work.
Welcome back, old friend!
RSS still lives and thrives in Lire! The parsing engine is fast and crisp, and the full text feature makes extra clicks to plugins unnecessary. This version does have embedded graphics, but don't detract from the text oriented interface. Love the choice of themes - the redesign is evident on the outside too! And it's not a paid subscription model :)
Edit- now unusable. Verizon blocks its IP. PING shows 100% packet loss.
This version now loads with my ISP. Once again, best in class!!! Hope there's an OSX version forthcoming.
- Kunal Sood
- 37.5 MB
Requires iOS 10.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
English, Czech, French, German, Greek, Italian, Spanish
- Age Rating
- You must be at least 17 years old to download this app.
- Unrestricted Web Access
- © 2019 Kunal Sood
- In-App Purchases
- Massive Tip $1.99
- Amazing Tip $4.99
- Stupendous Tip $19.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.