Love RSS feeds? So do we!!
RSS feeds are a great way to follow updates on your favorite website. However, some sites set up their feeds to only show a portion of each entry, you know, to get you to click through to their actual website. We find that really annoying, and we're sure you do too.
Which is why, unlike other RSS feed readers, that either push you into a browser (in-app or otherwise), or depend on third party text parsing services and require you to be online to fetch the full text of one article at a time (which makes it no different from having to click/tap through to a website), in lire, you get your favorite RSS feeds as they should've been. You don't need to click through to any website (though, you do still have the option to, if you really wanted). It takes your favorite partial feeds, does it's magic, and converts them in to full feeds, so you don't have to click/tap on those annoying 'Read more' or 'Continue reading' links.
Once they're cached, you don't even need to be connected to read your full-text feeds.
Use as a standalone feed reader,
sync with any of the several services: Feedly, Feedbin, FeedHQ, The Old Reader, Inoreader, BazQux Reader, Newsblur, Feed Wrangler, FreshRSS, Miniflux, Nextcloud News, Tiny Tiny RSS.
- Support for syncing with iCloud.
- Support for syncing Tags (Feedly, BazQux & iCloud).
- Support for syncing Smart Streams (BazQux).
- Support for syncing Saved Searches (Feedbin).
- Support for Tagging Articles in Standalone mode.
- Support for fetching already read articles based on settings.
- Support for Shortcuts app (macOS Monterey)
- Support for Mark As Read On Scroll in article lists (Enable in Preferences > Article > Mark As Read On Scroll).
- Ability to disable linked-list style article indicators. (Disable Linked List in Preferences > General > Discover > Show Linked List)
- Ability to open articles from specific feeds directly in the in-app browser. To configure this, please visit Preferences > Article > Reading, and click the "Configure" button next to "Open Articles In".
- Ability to Double-click in article lists to open an article in a new window.
- Tons of minor UI improvements.
- Re-organized Sidebar: Tags, Smart Streams, Saved Searches, Active Searches etc. all get their own dedicated sections.
- Improved keyboard shortcut support.
- Tons of minor UI tweaks.
- Tons of minor (and major) bug fixes.
If you enjoy using lire, please leave a review, or tell a friend about it. That helps a lot!
Ratings and Reviews
Where are the updates?
I read a review that said this is one of the best Mac RSS apps. I'd agree, but the app hasn't been updated in 4 months and is completely breaking in Big Sur.
If you're thinking of purchasing, wait until you see it has been updated.
Developer Response ,
Updates are coming.
Big Sur is in beta, I can not release a fix for a bug on an unreleased OS. If you're an advanced enough user to be using an unreleased version of macOS, you should've already known that.
App Crashes at Launch
Current version of app crashes at launch. Doesn't work. This is the same as the last two releases. Crashes at launch. Since there's no way to know how the app works on macOS, I can only give it 1 Star. The iOS & iPadOS Apps have been great!
ErrorI get at crash:
Application Specific Information:
*** Terminating app due to uncaught exception 'NSInternalInconsistencyException', reason: 'Unbalanced state change freezing/thawing!'
terminating with uncaught exception of type NSException
This is my review of the app when it did open before:
I've been reading most articles via RSS for many many years now, and lire has always been one of the few RSS apps on iOS that I've used. Seems like there was some hiccups initially with the macOS app, but now that the app's working again I'll be checking it out a little more. Would be great if the text filled the entire space when opening an article in Reader Mode. On a Mac in full screen the text is still confined to a small space as opposed to filling the space. Still! This is a great app.
Developer Response ,
Sorry that you're facing this crash. I'd be happy to troubleshoot this for you, if you just email me: firstname.lastname@example.org
Best RSS reader
I have been using all kinds of RSS readers since the early days of NetNewWire, none of the apps is as good as libre. All RSS apps are good in respects, bad in some respects, none is really perfect, but I think lire has all the good features that I am looking for such as simplicity of the user interface, fast, disply full text (which I think is the best RSS feature).
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Kunal Sood
- 32.9 MB
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later.
English, Czech, French, German, Greek, Italian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese
- Age Rating
- 17+ Unrestricted Web Access
- © 2019 Kunal Sood
- In-App Purchases
- Generous Tip $0.99
- Massive Tip $1.99
- Amazing Tip $4.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.