Love RSS feeds? So do we!!
RSS feeds are a great way to follow updates on your favorite website. However, some sites set up their feeds to only show a portion of each entry, you know, to get you to click through to their actual website. We find that really annoying, and we're sure you do too.
Which is why, unlike other RSS feed readers, that either push you into a browser (in-app or otherwise), or depend on third party text parsing services and require you to be online to fetch the full text of one article at a time (which makes it no different from having to click/tap through to a website), in lire, you get your favorite RSS feeds as they should've been. You don't need to click through to any website (though, you do still have the option to, if you really wanted). It takes your favorite partial feeds, does it's magic, and converts them in to full feeds, so you don't have to click/tap on those annoying 'Read more' or 'Continue reading' links.
Once they're cached, you don't even need to be connected to read your full-text feeds.
Use as a standalone feed reader,
sync with any of the several services: Feedly, Feedbin, FeedHQ, The Old Reader, Inoreader, BazQux Reader, Newsblur, Feed Wrangler, FreshRSS, Miniflux, Nextcloud News, Tiny Tiny RSS.
- Ability to choose/set any installed font in article reading view.
- "San Francisco Rounded" font option for reading articles (only available when running on macOS 12.3 or above).
- "System Rounded" font option for UI (only available when running on macOS 12.3 or above).
- Ability to print article. (File > Print... OR ⌘+P)
- Overhauled the internal font engine (All old custom font options have been moved into a special section called "Legacy").
- Should have a smaller memory footprint over time. (Should now spawn much fewer "com.apple.WebKit.WebContent" processes visible in Activity Monitor) & clean them up when needed.
- In-app "Errors Occurred" notification to have a more prominent appearance.
- A bug that prevented images in certain specific formats from being loaded as thumbnails in article lists.
- A bug that prevented articled marked as read using shortcuts from being synced to Inoreader.
- Several minor bugs related to handling of feeds with non-ASCII character in their URLs.
- A bug that caused a crash while importing certain OPML files.
- A bug the prevented management (rename/change folders/unsubscribe) of feeds in a BazQux Reader account, when the feed's URL contained query parameters.
- Tons of other minor bug fixes.
If you enjoy using lire, please leave a review, or tell a friend about it. That helps a lot!
Ratings and Reviews
Where are the updates?
I read a review that said this is one of the best Mac RSS apps. I'd agree, but the app hasn't been updated in 4 months and is completely breaking in Big Sur.
If you're thinking of purchasing, wait until you see it has been updated.
Developer Response ,
Updates are coming.
Big Sur is in beta, I can not release a fix for a bug on an unreleased OS. If you're an advanced enough user to be using an unreleased version of macOS, you should've already known that.
App Crashes at Launch
Current version of app crashes at launch. Doesn't work. This is the same as the last two releases. Crashes at launch. Since there's no way to know how the app works on macOS, I can only give it 1 Star. The iOS & iPadOS Apps have been great!
ErrorI get at crash:
Application Specific Information:
*** Terminating app due to uncaught exception 'NSInternalInconsistencyException', reason: 'Unbalanced state change freezing/thawing!'
terminating with uncaught exception of type NSException
This is my review of the app when it did open before:
I've been reading most articles via RSS for many many years now, and lire has always been one of the few RSS apps on iOS that I've used. Seems like there was some hiccups initially with the macOS app, but now that the app's working again I'll be checking it out a little more. Would be great if the text filled the entire space when opening an article in Reader Mode. On a Mac in full screen the text is still confined to a small space as opposed to filling the space. Still! This is a great app.
Developer Response ,
Sorry that you're facing this crash. I'd be happy to troubleshoot this for you, if you just email me: email@example.com
Excellent rss reader
I have had several RSS readers over the last ten years, and this is an excellent one, that is also updated frequently. I had an issue with the app crashing constantly, and the developer worked with me to correct the issue (it was not obvious what the cause was).
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Kunal Sood
- 33.6 MB
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later.
English, Czech, French, German, Greek, Italian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese
- Age Rating
- 17+ Unrestricted Web Access
- © 2019 Kunal Sood
- In-App Purchases
- Generous Tip $0.99
- Massive Tip $1.99
- Amazing Tip $4.99
- Humongous Tip $9.99
- Stupendous Tip $19.99