A child’s language and literacy development is a big deal—for all of us! So why do we start with something as small as a 100-word story? As Aesop said: “Good things come in Little Story packages.” Okay, so maybe he said something more like small packages, but we do believe Aesop would love what our Little Stories can do. After all, he believed in the power of a very short story. And so do we.
Why 100 words? For one thing, it keeps a story simple and manageable. A child quickly reaches “the end” and feels a sense of accomplishment right away. But it’s more than that. When we kept a story small, we realized that structures stood out and speech practice focused. Little felt so very big!
So, we created 82 engaging stories and combined them with incredible illustrations—that’s what your young user will notice. But, you will notice that we are so much more than a good read. Each story is a package—a package bursting with supporting curriculum. We promise to teach you how to teach with story as you push those buttons and swipe away!
Yes. You will see how a carefully crafted story is loaded with potentials for learning. But when you are sitting side by side with your young user, you will feel how a small story can be both wonder-filled and fun.
Here is the package that will impress your child or student:
• A variety of entertaining characters in all kinds of story situations.
• Beautiful, full-color illustrations.
• Personable audio recordings that allow a child to explore the stories independently.
• Wonderful story-talk activities that help turn the reading experience into a mini book club.
• Fun activities such as tongue twisters and coloring pages.
Here is the package that is filled to the brim for you:
• Sound-saturated stories to tune a child’s ears to phonemes.
• Reading fluency tools that track, graph, and show reading progress.
• A practical assessment feature that allows you to mark a child’s reading, vocabulary, and speech errors and convert them into flash cards for practice.
• The capability to highlight specific word groups (sight words, phonemic target words, and challenge words) in the story text or to pull them into flash cards.
• WH Questions and Let’s Talk activities that cultivate comprehension and conversation.
• Sequencing practice that subtly guides a child in narrative structuring.
• A retelling activity that is reinforced by a straightforward narrative model—a tool that can help a child understand story structure better than many adults.
• Story data including verb tense and point of view to help guide language practice.
• Story sorting to help you locate stories by title, theme, reading level, and sound.
• An emphasis on the R, L, S, and Th sounds (the most difficult sounds to master in speech).
• Scoring and reporting features to monitor and share user progress.
• And more…
Children have taught us that potential matters so much more than size. In fact, small has its very own kind of power. That has been our mindset throughout the development of our Little Stories—the power of children and the power of small stories. That mindset has made all the difference.
For professional teachers and speech-language pathologists:
Our curriculum specifically supports reading fluency and comprehension as well as receptive and expressive language objectives.
READING AND LITERACY
• Reading fluency
• Reading comprehension
• Story structure awareness
• Story tradition and genre exploration
RECEPTIVE LANGUAGE SKILLS
• Attention and listening
• Vocabulary acquisition
• Story structure and comprehension
• Question processing
EXPRESSIVE LANGUAGE SKILLS
• Speech production
• Phonemic awareness
• Story sequencing
• Story retelling
• Question answering
We are confident you will enjoy sharing our Little Stories. More important, you will love watching your young learner make big leaps in language and literacy development!
- Optimized for iOS 12!
- Other improvements and small bug fixes
Ratings and Reviews
So excited for this app!
I couldn’t download this app fast enough! I was lucky enough to see the demo of this app with the creators at the 2017 ASHA convention. I literally squealed with joy because I already had such an amazing experience with the other Little Bee app, that I couldn’t wait to see this one! I haven’t seen another app that incorporates so many different communication components. This has articulation, expressive language, comprehension, initiating, and the options go on. I currently work with preschoolers, but have worked with all school populations and could easily incorporate this app with any of them. I love that they have included how this will apply to the current standards because it makes goal writing and data collection so easy. There are so many different stories, and activities with each one. I couldn’t recommend this app any more and look forward to sharing my experience with my many colleagues (speech therapists and more). Thank you for bringing this to us!
I absolutely love this app! Couldn’t wait to use it with my speech kids so I used it with my 6 year old cousin right away, working on articulation with her. She loves the stories and all of the many activities that go along with each one. I was able to target her sound errors as well as incorporate and expand her receptive and expressive language skills along with reading and comprehension. This app has 82 fun stories, flash cards, sight word lists, sequencing activities, WH questions .. as well as a record option while retelling the stories. She loves this feature! She also gets excited and giggly every time the little bee pops up as she completes the activities. When you think it can’t get any better, it does just that and she is thrilled about about the coloring pages for each story. Although there are so many activities, this app is very easy to navigate. I strongly recommend this app and couldn’t be any happier with it!
WOW! Happy SLP.
I just downloaded this while it was 40% off, a little bit on the fence about whether it was even worth the discounted price. BUT this app is amazing! It has so much in it and targets so many skills. I am so excited and can’t wait to show my patients. Just a brief example of what you can do with this app... select on of the (82) awesome stories, preview the vocabulary ahead of time and use the flash cards to practice the words and see their meaning, read the story, and then check comprehension through wh questions, sequencing, story retell, and more. So impressed.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.