Optimised for Apple Watch and iPhone, LongShot lets you quickly, easily and accurately calculate exposure settings for low light, night time, long exposure and astro photography. LongShot works effortlessly with all makes of camera with manual exposure controls and can be used with or without Neutral Density (ND) filters.
Built by a photographer for photographers.
• Runs on Apple Watch, iPhone and iPad
• Apple Watch version allows for hands free use
• Calculates shutter speed, aperture or ISO – whichever you choose
• Built-in timer is automatically set to your chosen shutter speed, so you are ready to shoot immediately
• Optional timer pre-warning allows you to be notified up to 30 seconds before the timer is due to run out. No need to watch the timer for the entire exposure.
• Night Mode helps protect your night vision in low light conditions.
• Uses 1/3 stop EV values, giving you more granular control
Choice of two calculation modes depending on how you prefer to shoot:
• Test Shot Mode – works with/without ND filters and doesn’t require you to remember the ratings of the filter(s) being used.
• Filter Stop Mode – tell LongShot the strength of the ND filter(s) you are using and it will do the rest.
LongShot on Apple Watch works seamlessly with its iPhone counterpart:
• Last used settings are remembered between devices
• Start a timer on iPhone and pick it up on Apple Watch – or vice versa
• Alerts intelligently delivered to whichever device you are using
Using Neutral Density (ND) filters can be confusing. Different filter manufacturers use different methods to denote the density level of their filters (e.g. Hoya, B+W and Cokin use code ND2 or ND2x, etc whereas Lee and Tiffen use code 0.3ND, etc).
On top of this, even two filters by the same manufacturer with the same rating may differ slightly, due to production variances.
LongShot can avoid this confusion entirely. Using LongShot’s Test Shot Mode there is no need to:
• remember ND ratings of your filters
• calculate exposure stop equivalents for each filter
• add values together if filter stacking
Using LongShot is simple, and further instructions are provided in-app.
For more information, to provide feedback or ask questions, and to see examples of my own photography using LongShot, visit: http://samuelmcdowell.com
This app has been updated by Apple to display the Apple Watch app icon.
• Now you can choose from two different calculation modes, depending on your workflow.
• Add a pre-warning to the timer. Browse away to catch up on the news whilst the timer is running, and get notified with plenty of time left to get ready to close the shutter.
• Night Mode to protect night vision in low-light conditions.
• Completely rebuilt Apple Watch app takes advantage of new features of Watch OS2.
Ratings and Reviews
Horrible. Doesn’t work most of the time, AT ALL. Crashes.
L-O-V-E that you've made a Watch version of the app available!
A few suggestions that would make an already great app just outstanding.....
- Would like an audible and/or haptic alert available.
- Would like the alert time to be user configurable (for example, I might like 5 seconds, but someone else might like something longer).
- And this One's trivial, but would be a nice addition....have the color scheme of the app be user configurable.
A terrific app as is...would make an outstanding one, and one I'd pay for if the above could be incorporated.
Thanks for making this available!
Developer Response ,
Thank you very much for taking the time to provide this feedback. It is very useful, and very much appreciated. In response to some of your suggestions:
- Audible/haptic alert I assume you mean on the Watch? There is an audible alert on the iPhone/iPad part of the app. Leveraging the haptic for the alert on the Watch is something that I have considered before. I will endeavour to include this in a future update.
- Alert time. There is a 'pre-warning' that can be set from 0 - 30 sec to give you notice before the timer runs out. It is in the Settings screen (small 'cog' icon). Were you referring to this? Or how long the alert operates for once the timer is up?
- Color scheme. I don't currently have plans to add in a new scheme, or make it user-configurable - sorry! That is quite a bit of work to achieve, and wouldn't be adding photography-related functionality.
You are welcome to contact me if I have misunderstood any of your points, or you wanted to clarify things further. In the meantime, it is wonderful to receive enthusiastic feedback, and I hope LongShot continues to be of assistance in your photography.
The developer, Samuel McDowell, has not provided details about its privacy practices and handling of data to Apple.
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- Samuel McDowell
- 44.4 MB
- Photo & Video
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 9.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
- Age Rating
- © 2015 Samuel McDowell