Looking4Cache is a app with a wide set of functions around the fascinating hobby geocaching. With direct access to over two million geocaches on Groundspeak´s Geocaching platform you can search for a box nearly everywhere.
In seconds you can store geocaches including all informations like the last logs, the waypoints and the images to your device over the direct API access (for this please read the annotation on the bottom). Or you can import a gpx file or a pocket query. All data will be stored on your device for offline usage.
Log your founds with trackables instantly or after your trip in the app. You can upload fieldnotes to the geocaching website too. And this not only for you but also for your complete team.
To save power the GPS accuracy will be switched based on the distance to your next target.
Here a list of the key functions:
- through the Geocaching Live API
- load Pocket Queries
- import own GPX files
- GCVote integration
- add Geocaches to lists
- use a lot of filers and sorts
- swipe a cache to build lists for your next trip
- Online OpenStreetMap and Bing
- Online Apple Maps
- Send coordinates to other navigation apps
- for multiple users
- with a log drafts, multiple for each log type possible
- log Travelbugs
- save logs locally
Attention: To access the geocaches you need a user on Groundspeak´s Geocaching plattform (.com). According to your membership type the amount of data is restricted. Basic Members could load 3 full cache descriptions per day and up to 6000 basic descriptions. As a Basic Member the geocache search is restricted to traditional caches. To get full access and use all functions of this app you should have a premium account.
Attention: Continued use of GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life.
- The action menu on the iPhone can now be moved to the right side (use the last action in the menu).
- OpenTopoMaps and Hike&Bike Map have been added.
- The highlighting of caches works correctly again.
- When a cache is updated, the find information is updated if the cache has not yet been found.
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Now you can’t load anything over a 1.5 star rating. These companies, especially groundspeak are getting out of control with greed, from once started as a nice free activity.
With Geosphere no longer supported on iOS 11, I took another look at caching apps. No app does all what Geosphere offered, but after trying them all I think the pro version of this app is the best. The lite version will get you started but to appreciate it you need the full version
The interface takes a little getting used to, but it has a nice display that is focused on the maps. The color scheme is far better than some of its competitors. It does a lot and does it better than anything out there (excepting Geosphere).
My Facebook got hacked right after logging into this app through my geocaching account which is linked to my Facebook.
- Looking4Cache UG (haftungsbeschraenkt)
- 66.5 MB
Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
English, Czech, Dutch, French, German, Polish, Portuguese, Spanish, Swedish
- Age Rating
- This app may use your location even when it isn't open, which can decrease battery life.
- © 2019 Looking4Cache UG (haftungsbeschränkt)
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.