Looking4Cache is a app with a wide set of functions around the fascinating hobby geocaching. With direct access to over two million geocaches on Groundspeak´s Geocaching platform you can search for a box nearly everywhere.
In seconds you can store geocaches including all informations like the last logs, the waypoints and the images to your device over the direct API access (for this please read the annotation on the bottom). Or you can import a gpx file or a pocket query. All data will be stored on your device for offline usage.
Log your founds with images and trackables instantly or after your trip in the app. You can upload fieldnotes to the geocaching website too. And this not only for you but also for your complete team.
One of the highlights of Looking4Cache are the offline maps from OpenStreetMap like you found nowhere else. Choose and download the maps including contour lines directly in the app and use them in dead spots or in foreign countries without roaming costs. You can download whole states or complete countries.
With the ability to cache completely offline your battery will be conserved. To save more power the GPS accuracy will be switched based on the distance to your next target.
Here a list of the key functions:
- through the Geocaching Live API
- load Pocket Queries
- import own GPX and GGZ files
- GSAK database import (InApp purchase)
- Live Map: See surrounding caches
- GCVote integration
- Supports corrected Coordinates and pers. Notes
- add Geocaches to lists
- use a lot of filers and sorts
- swipe a cache to build lists for your next trip
- Offline topo vector maps
- Online OpenStreetMap, OpenCycleMap, Bing
- Online Apple Maps
- Send coordinates to other navigation apps
- for multiple users
- with a log drafts, multiple for each log type possible
- log Travelbugs, with auto-visit too
- save logs locally
- Link to your local contact
- Find telephone jokers
- Create and send GPX files
Integration in iOS:
- search for GC-Codes in Safari
- open GPX files from mail
Attention: To access the geocaches you need a user on Groundspeak´s Geocaching plattform (.com). According to your membership type the amount of data is restricted. Basic Members could load 3 full cache descriptions per day and up to 6000 basic descriptions. As a Basic Member the geocache search is restricted to traditional caches. To get full access and use all functions of this app you should have a premium account.
Attention: Continued use of GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life.
- The action menu on the iPhone can now be moved to the right side (use the last action in the menu).
- OpenTopoMaps and Hike&Bike Map have been added. Unfortunately I had to remove OpenCycleMap.
- The highlighting of caches works correctly again.
- When a cache is updated, the find information is updated if the cache has not yet been found.
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
This does it all
This amazing app does it all, and so much more! I’m not going to go into detail because I just spent an hour and a half writing about dozens and dozens of functionalities it has that you cannot get from the standard app, and accidentally deleted them before posting my review. Ack! But trust me, it does so much and makes things so easy, especially in the use of photos in ways you would never imagine and in organizing lists for challenges. In writing up my aborted review, I just covered many more things I wasn’t even aware of. Spend the money, get this app; there is so much more going on than in the preview images that the developer has posted in the images above. I’ve been using it exclusively for over two years and brag on it all the time. Six stars!
Like having GSAK in your hand
Have been using L4C for several years and don’t like to cache without it. Being able to log more than one cacher opens this up to a whole new experience.
Sorting, filtering and updating on the fly are invaluable on a cache run.
This is one of those apps/programs that can do more than you can find in a few sessions. If you’re on the fence about trying L4C, just do it!
With Geosphere no longer supported on iOS 11, I took another look at caching apps. No app does all what Geosphere offered, but after trying them all I think the pro version of this app is the best.
I like the hillshade option for offline vector maps. The interface takes a little getting used to, but it has a nice display that is focused on the maps. The color scheme is far better than some of its competitors. It does a lot and does it better than anything out there (excepting Geosphere).
- Looking4Cache UG (haftungsbeschraenkt)
- 63.1 MB
Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
English, Czech, Dutch, French, German, Polish, Portuguese, Spanish, Swedish
- Age Rating
- This app may use your location even when it isn't open, which can decrease battery life.
- © 2019 Looking4Cache UG (haftungsbeschränkt)
- In-App Purchases
- Hillshades $0.99
- GSAK Import $1.99
- Tip glass $5.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.