LookUp is an innovative English Dictionary app that combines a comprehensive English Dictionary with powerful vocabulary building tools. The app is perfect for English Learners and Word Enthusiasts who want to build their English Vocabulary.
1. Beautiful Word of the Day Illustrations ensure that you have fun while also creating a visual memory of the word you’re viewing, making the learning process faster than having to read large blocks of text.
2. LookUp Is a comprehensive English Dictionary powered by Oxford English Dictionary that includes support for Thesaurus, Audio Pronunciations, Example Sentences, Usage Notes, and Images.
3. Translations from English to more than 20 different languages* provide context rich information that ensure an easy learning process for non-native English Speakers.
4. The Learn Tab is a powerful vocabulary building tool that uses scientifically proven Spaced Repetition techniques to help users build vocabulary through interactive quizzes. The Learn Tab is ideal for Exam Prep for English Proficiency exams like TOEFL, IELTS, GRE, SAT, etc.
5. Native, State of the Art User Experience, LookUp’s design is award winning, easy to use and most importantly fun. LookUp supports latest technologies like Widgets, SharePlay, and Shortcuts, making it a state of the art macOS app.
Praise for LookUp:
App Store Editor’s Choice App
Webby Honoree (2021) in Education & Reference Apps Category
MacStories Update of the Year 2019
Webby Honoree (2017) for Best UX in Mobile Apps
Apple 20 Under 20 (2015)
"LookUp is far and away my favorite dictionary app I’ve used." - Macstories
"It doesn't feel like any other dictionary app for iPhone." - Beautiful Pixels
*Translations Supported for: Arabic, Chinese, Hindi, Indonesian, Malay, Turkmen, Tajik, German, Italian, Greek, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Spanish, Tatar, Igbo, isiXhosa, isiZulu, Northern Sotho, Setswana, Yoruba, Tok Pisin, and more to come.
Bug Fixes and UI Improvements
Added new option to change pronunciation dialect to UK or US English
Added a new setting to the Word of the Day widget that lets users see a simplified widget with system fonts for the title.
Ratings and Reviews
With apologies to the nice people at Oxford, dictionaries don’t usually look all that great. But LookUp is a dictionary for those with a penchant for aesthetics; the app delivers its daily definitions with illustrations that trigger both sides of your brain. Learn from a mahoosive collection of words like reticent, impresario, and mahoosive, which, we just learned, is really a word. Tap a card for pronunciations, origins, and synonyms; heart a word if you have a particular adulation for it.
Clever, unique, elegant vocab builder
I love this app! I love words and dictionaries. I own lots of dictionary apps. I teach English to non-English speakers, ESL. Contrary to another reviewer or two, I find this to be a unique, browsable, and helpful vocabulary builder. It's NOT a simple dictionary, a reference, that's not the best purpose - it's something to sit and spend time with. I wouldn't recommend it solely to use as a dictionary for quick look ups. I don't need such interesting distraction, I would stay in the app, get lost in words, and not get back to my work.
Also contrary to another reviewer, they are NOT words common to daily ordinary American English speakers. You may have at least heard many words, studied them for testing, and even gleaned the meanings from context. There will be words you've heard many times and may even use but you never looked them up yourself, those words you can use and describe with examples but cannot cite a definition. So it's very interesting.
You get visual imagery, etymology, grammar and related words. And links to more comprehensive definitions, a wiki. The presentation of each word is colorful and appealing without cartoonish sensibilities. By simply visually browsing you can learn, hone, or refresh your vocabulary without the tedium of drilling, memorizing, or winding thru long repetitious dictionary definitions.
Best in class!!
Are use this app on my iPhone on my Apple Watch, and on my MacBook. After and recent minor issue where my collections were lost during an app update, I am now very confident that the developer has integrity and will seek quickly to correct any issues. This has given me confidence in continuing to use this excellent app.
I love to use this app. Whenever I discover a word that I would like to add to one of my collections it is easy to get the definition and add it right away to either one or multiple collections. I love that on the MacBook version of the app I can export a PDF file of any one of my collections along with definitions. That allows me to export my own back up of my collections on a periodic basis and allows me to easily share my collection of words with someone else.
My wife and I are able to each use the app because the app allows for family sharing. I greatly appreciate that and it adds more value to the subscription.
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Squircle Apps LLP
- 92.1 MB
- Requires iOS 16.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 16.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 13.0 or later.
- Apple Watch
- Requires watchOS 9.0 or later.
- Apple Vision
- Requires visionOS 1.0 or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2023 Squircle Apps LLP
- In-App Purchases
- LookUp+ Monthly $2.99
- LookUp+ Yearly $29.99
- LookUp+ Lifetime $59.99
Some in‑app purchases, including subscriptions, may be shareable with your family group when Family Sharing is enabled.